Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruby4729

how much to do before selling

ruby4729
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We're living in our house 38 years and want to sell in three years.we had a lot of the house redone years ago, and now everything is old again.

we're having the house sided and sidewalks and driveway redone,it really needed it years ago,but we put it off. the backyard is a mess with neighbors roots from trees growing all over my yard .should we have the yard fixed up? also the carpet all over the house is disgusting,so not sure if we shoud recarpet,or redo hardwood that is underneath.

not sure what else we should do.Thanks for any help.

Comments (7)

• freeoscar
    8 years ago

You really should speak to a realtor and understand what the market is like in your area, and also be brutally honest about the condition of your home. In my area right now the market for fixer uppers/tear downs is very strong, such that I'd recommend someone in your position not do anything at all (halt the siding and pavement improvements unless it's a dangerous situation) and then sell it to a builder. Not only are you not going to get the money back for improvements, but a builder would buy it for cash, pretty quick close and no contingencies. And of course even if you get 100% back from the improvements, you are going to lose 6% of that right back on the realtor fees.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Both have good points.

What is happening with other houses in your neighborhood?

If like in much of the areas downtown where I am, smaller houses are being torn down to build larger, safer houses, (we are in hurricane country), then I'd sell as is and not worry about fixing up.

However if your neighborhood is stable in terms of people buying the houses as is and just decorating them, then yes, I'd figure out what needs freshening up to make it more salable. Maybe post pictures on here for us to critique.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago
    Talking with a realtor is a good idea, both to get an idea on which things might be dealbreakers, and how much of a hit you might take if you do nothing. A DIY-er or house flipper is not going to offer what you might think it is worth. I did a lot of inexpensive cosmetic things -- like giving most of the rooms a fresh coat of neural paint -- when I last sold, but avoided other, more questionable refurbishings. Even though it was in pretty good shape when it went on the market, that didn't prevent a number of insultingly lowball offers (like 35% off) from people who were clearly looking for a bargain that they could freshen up a bit more and flip.
  • HeatherK725
    8 years ago

We are currently in the market for our next house. The first things I look for are 1) nice yard 2) nice kitchen 3) clean space. If you think the carpet is terrible, it should be replaced; personally I love hardwood and that's what I hope and look for. Try getting your yard as "picture perfect" as possible; clearing trees/bushes, planting beautiful flowers. De-clutter also! Good luck!!

• Jonnygun
    8 years ago

If you are not selling for 3 more years dont do anything sales specific now. wait untill you are actually ready to list. The fresher the better IMO. Unless you get a screaming deal on something, lol.

• ruby4729
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you all for your advice.we are still not sure what we will be doing but you have given me something to think about