Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamroe

Master Bath Remodel Help

pamroe
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We are updating our master bath and need help with tile ideas for tub and shower. Shower is being expanded to match width of tub. We are keeping floor tile, wall paint color and countertops. Cabinets will be refaced with new doors and hardware. Also in a dilemma over oil rubbed bronze or polished nickel light fixtures, faucets and hardware. House still has gold doorknobs and hinges.

Comments (33)

• bevballew
    11 years ago
    Make sure you get shower glass with minimal brass supports. I think they are called seamless shower doors. New light fixture and window treatment and pretty wall covering maybe on one wall. Depending on brass areas of shower, I think either style faucet. Oil rubbed copper sounds better with gold throughout house on knobs, etc.
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is one tile combo we are considering: Durango tumbled travertine for floor of shower and front of tub plus use as accent border in shower and inside niche for shampoo, etc. 1x1 for floor of shower but not sure about size for front of tub. Also have 2x2 Durango available for accent or front of tub. Princess Tortola porcelain 13 x 13 tiles for tub surround and shower. Shower walls will extend up to top molding height of window.
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We are replacing shower with seamless shower enclosure and will choose finish to match faucets, etc. so oil rubbed or polished nickel? Want finish that won't be dated in a few years.
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Current light fixtures are a darker brushed gold tone. These can be changed or can stay based on finish of faucets etc. I have seen a champagne gold finish that is now offered for faucets but not sure if I want to consider it....
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    I like the diagonal floor. To my eye, and on my screen here, the porcelain and travertine you're considering are too close a match to the floor. I think everything-- considering you're keeping the paint color, too-- will be a bit too monochromatic with those choices. Maybe that's what you want, but I'd try to find something a little less of an attempted match. The floor looks like it might have gray in it (?). If so, you could find something with a deep gray or blue, perhaps. There's a really nice marble called Oasis Blue, which has a beige/creamy white background, but with veins of deep gray and deep blue. It's really beautiful. That helps brings in another color, but one that would mesh well. I personally would not put travertine on a shower floor. I know people do, but I think it's just too porous. I really like the porcelain, but-- again-- it seems too closely matched to the floor. Just my thoughts. I may be seeing it all wrong, if my screen is throwing off the colors.

It's a pretty bathroom-- and a great idea extending the shower to width of tub, too.
  • kevingofron
    11 years ago
    Nice tile choices. I would go oil rubbed bronze for door knobs, sink fixtures, etc to give it a contrast and some pop.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    Oh- and just to disagree and make things more difficult for you -- I'd probably go with brushed nickel (or polished). That's with the idea that you might bring in some gray in your tile choices. ;)
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Floor tile really has more of a cream/yellowish/pinkish undertone with the lighting in the bathroom. We tried a porcelain 12x24 Tile Daino Reale but it definitely looked too grayish/ undertone greenish with the floor tile. It's soo hard.....thanks for the comments so far. Maybe if the tile choices stay more monochromatic then we should change the paint color?? I have same concerns about travertine on floor of shower.....
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    lauriaj: I'm so glad to read this. I just put brushed nickel in my bathroom, but I wanted these wall lights that seemed so perfect, but the back plate on them is polished chrome. It's not very big (the back plate), but I kind of worried about that-- mixing the two, specifically, but also how chrome might fare in years to come. I do have a ceiling light that has a chrome edge and finial. But I'm encouraged by reading your post here. Thanks. ;)

pamroe: Okay; I see. So hard to read the real colors onscreen. Then, yes, my thought would be to change the wall color (again, unless monochromatic is what you want).

And I'm sure a tile person might jump in here and offer more insight, but I know I would not put travertine on the floor of a shower. Why not porcelain on the floor of the shower (which is the least porous material you can use)?
  • astillmak
    11 years ago
    I agree with lauriaj. Plus, all of the oil rubbed bronze fixtures we have show spots of wear just after a short period of time. Chrome/brushed nickel does not have this issue.
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Do you think large tiles on front of tub and wall around tub to be same as shower OR use small mosaic tiles with color variations on front of tub that way large tiles are not matched right up to floor tile???
  • jodevine
    11 years ago
    Looks exactly like my bathroom which we just renovated. I also did the seamless shower doors and used the one inch tile on shower floor and used the large travertine up the walls with an accent strip around tub and shower. Replaced all fixtures with oil rubbed bronze! Added a small chandelier over the tub as well.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    If you have a chance, check to see if a tile store near you has Crossville porcelain. Their Empire series is really striking, and they do make a 'Generals Gray' that has a lot of variations in it, with a pinky beige and deep blue undertone. Really unusual. They make it in both polished and unpolished, each giving a slightly different look-- but it's a very smooth porcelain. You can look it up online, but-- again-- very hard to tell online how good it looks in person. They also make an Empress Silver in that same series, which is a warm off white. Crossville makes some of the nicest looking porcelain I've ever seen (Empire series, specifically).
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    In the shower go with porcelain. Less upkeep. You can add a border of,the mosaic tile if you wish. Then the good stuff on the outside.
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Went back to tile store today and designer picked out these 2 choices. Any thoughts about either go these combos?
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Where will the small tile go? Concerned you will tire of the dark.
  • kevingofron
    11 years ago
    I agree that too much dark will wear on you perhaps. I do like the dark as an accent in your room however.
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Small tile on front of tub and floor of shower. Large tile on wall around tub and shower walls. Mosaic accent trim on wall above tub and in shower with maybe 2 rows of 1" mosaic tile above and below. Thoughts? Love this site!!!
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    dianahb. I looked at Crossville porcelain online and it is pretty. Can't find it anywhere near me in Atlanta unfortunately.
  • PRO
    Joy Berwick Property Styler and Stager
    11 years ago
    Love the medium square tiles that pick up the same colour as the walls - love the wall colours very soft and elegant for a bathroom. You said the shower will be extended to be the same depth as the bath. I would do these tiles in the shower and around the front of the bath - they aren't overdone and blend with the paint walls but make sure the tiles stay on the inside of the shower and not extend outside the shower area as is in the current shower you show here.
  • dbh
    11 years ago
    pamroe: I really like the dark, both the designs (which mesh really well) and the color. I don't think you'll tire of it, because the floor is so light, and you're not putting this everywhere. The little diamonds and squares, too, simply as a graphic, seems much more appealing. I think you'd tire of that sort of curly-cue flowery kind of design on the other-- but maybe that's just me. Also. the dark chocolate color just seems really rich to me. Very nice.

About the Crossville-- they make it in TN, so I'm sure if you do a search for Crossville in the Atlanta area, somebody there stocks it. But I do like the darker option here very much.
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much for your comments Joy Berwick and dianahb. I think we are on the right track now with a richer combo. Demo starts tomorrow! I was glad to read the comments about porcelain vs travertine because I do want easy upkeep.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    I love,the brown too but in small amount as accents. Agree not the swirl. I wonder if,the copper would go better with the brown but I do vote for the brushed nickel. I agree small tiles in front of tub. It ill give the feel of a spa and less boring than just the large tile.
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I appreciate all the comments! You all have been very helpful!
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    I would leave out the borders. Just like borders in a room with wallpaper, they will become outdated or you will get tired of them. I love the dark brown but either one is nice and can see that being very spa like with white towels and candles.
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Bathroom Reno almost complete!
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Very very nice!
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    Very nice Pam, did the price of the frameless enclosure shock you?
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No our contractor budgeted $1400 for it and final cost was $1411 so we stayed on budget!
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    You were prepared, I find most folks think it's alot less expensive than what it is.
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Pam, congrats. For your shower door handle and hinges, did you decided on satin nickel or brushed stainless steel ? :)
  • pamroe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We choose brushed nickel to match faucets and light fixtures.