Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_584018

Kitchen redecorating

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So here is my DIY Mondrian inspired kitchen redecoration project. This all started out as simply wanting to change out the base cabinets for drawers.

Then we decided to resurface all the cabinets, because, you know, the doors didn't all match.

Then we decided to repaint them. We wanted gray (two tone, lighter top, darker bottom), but couldn't decide which gray. We wanted a warm gray without going greige, so went toward lavender. But I wanted a lavender that was more gray and my wife wanted gray that was more lavender.

I learned a lot about painting without a sprayer. I wanted high gloss (which would have necessitated a sprayer in reality), my wife did not. So we went semi-gloss. I know why people spray paint cabinet doors now. No matter how hard you try, how good your brush, technique, and Floetrol, you will get strokes. Since this is based on art, I decided light brush strokes would be okay and help the "art inspired" concept. The least strokes came from pads instead of brushes.

Then we decided to redesign behind the stove. But which range hood (ditching the OTR microwave was a no brainer) and which tile? Oy! So many tile samples!

We put in those kick-board drawers we've seen around Houzz. Which help a lot since we lost the over the range cabinets.

Still things to do, like paint the walls and finish the other side of the galley kitchen. I have learned so much! Especially about hinges and overlays. It was all simpler than I thought it would be, but not as easy as I would have liked.

I don't have true "before", but before enough, I think.

After the new drawers installed.

The old base cabinets.

Testing different paint colors on the old doors.

Current state of project. We want a light gray for the walls. You lose the detail of the white tile in the pic because of contrast. It is a thin, horizontal white glass tile. I put some tiles from the red in the white for accent.

There you go.

Oh, and my 3D rendering I did to help my wife visualize how it will look. (I work as a theatre designer so CAD is easy for me.)

Joe

Comments (19)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks. Yeah we went back and forth on the red for a LONG time. Finally decided you only live once and nothing is permanent.

Joe

• gella81
    7 years ago

Oh, its not the red as an accent, rather this particular tile. I would have loved to see a rich burgundy there, or deeper red with purple undertones to accentuate the lavender.

Anyway, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE what you did with the cabinets.

And its coming from someone on the hunt for plain ceramic tile in primary colors for a Mondrian inspired bath surround :-)

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I look forward to pictures of your redo!

Joe
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I get what you're cluckin'. There actually is some color theory behind our choice of red. The idea of the gray really is to keep it neutral with just a touch of color. It was actually (and often is) difficult to find similar colors that are in the same or close enough family that don't start to clash. Most of the red, purple, or maroon tile we could find (not that there doesn't exist something out there, we just couldn't find it) tended to clash.

So, looking at the color wheel we decided a red with orange and yellow accents would be more a complement to lavender, without being to garish like a solid orange or yellow. And it gave us the third primary (the yellow and blue are in the cabinet paint) to continue the Mondrian theme. And that was a whole lot easier than finding something that was in a closer hue range.

Joe

• Bev
    7 years ago

Beautifully done! I love your choice of a red back splash! It adds a pop of color without being overwhelming!

User thanked Bev
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Cabinets are great...but the red backsplash is too much contrast for the softness of the other colours I think.

User thanked Studio NOO Design
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I certainly understand that approach. After 5 years of a fairly monochromatic beige-taupe-brown house we were looking for stronger statements of contrast and color. As artists we decided, go bold or go home (which, ironically, is the same thing here). I have no doubt in a few years we'll be ready for something else. Hopefully not sooner than another 5 years! :-)

Thanks for commenting!

Joe

• Marvin Jayne
    7 years ago
    Very nice. I like the red accent tiles. I specially love the cabinet doors & pulls. The only thing that is jarring to me are the spices on top of your hood. It makes it look like a lack of storage.
    But overall, I love it.
    User thanked Marvin Jayne
  • acm
    7 years ago

I love the idea that if you get tired of the color scheme, you can just pick a different Mondrian for refreshed fun!

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Marvin Jayne, Ha! Yes. That was actually a temporary measure since I took down the spice rack during the work. But it is turning out to be quite handy! I do have other plans, though.

Joe

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@acm, I blended two phases of Mondrian. I used his early color palettes with his later forms.

Joe

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

Awesome!

User thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • jdcollects
    7 years ago

It's definitely different which I applaud. I think the red does work. As an aside, when I painted my aunt's kitchen cupboards I used the small rollers instead of a brush or sprayer and they came out fantastic. I recently had mine professionally done and they used a sprayer and it doesn't look any better than using the small roller.

User thanked jdcollects
  • zzz123
    7 years ago

Simple and amazing. I love Bauhaus style.

User thanked zzz123
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The other thing I learned that I think is important is cutting glass tile and mounting mosaic sheets.

You _can_ cut glass tile with the typical dual bar ceramic tile cutter. Two things to do: mount the sheet on at least some stiff cardboard (I held it in place with painters tape), if not a thin piece of wood, to help keep it steady while scoring.

But with the smaller tiles in those sheets the best thing to break the score is hand held tile cutters with the built-in pressure foot for breaking the score. People gripe about crooked cuts on glass tile from those things. The trick/secret is to make sure you are exerting equal and square pressure on either side of the score for the cleanest break possible. Glass snips aren't that good for anything but the smallest notch to clean off. If you are real careful it is amazing how small a piece of glass you can trim off.

The second thing is mounting. I used MusselBound to mount the sheets. The adhesive sheet sounds like a DIY god-send, but isn't really any easier than thinset. It was difficult to cut and mount on the wall to begin with. It was not easy to remount a sheet if it was slightly off and would also slightly deform the plastic net backing, so it would be even harder to mount the sheet square and straight. When I do the other side of the kitchen I plan on just using thinset or mastic.

FYI

Joe

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    7 years ago

Keeps it interesting! I like it

User thanked Raegan Ford Interior Design
  • Joy
    7 years ago
    I do love this!
    User thanked Joy
  • PRO
    TBS Construction Inc.
    7 years ago

It definitely has an character and is interesting!

User thanked TBS Construction Inc.