Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feldi

Need help choosing backsplash subway tile for marble look alike quartz

Frances Eldi
7 years ago

As I am waiting for my Quartzmaster Calacutta BNC to be installed I have been thinking about the back spalsh. I've looked at MSI Highland Winter White. The are super shiny and undulating. I'm not sure about the super shiny factor though. Will it over power the countertops? Will the super white conflict with the gray white of the counters? Someone used H line subway tile in pumice. That looked gorgeous. I haven't seen those in person, though. Any suggestions/recommendations? Thank you so much!

Comments (22)

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Tried to google your choices, can't see Winter White in this collection, can see Whisper White which is more creamy..looks like it's not the tile you're talking about. Thus hard to say. Can you post links/pics?

Frances Eldi thanked aprilneverends
  • katieleabrown86
    7 years ago

when do your counters go in?? I'm so excited to see them! My backsplash still isn't finished so I don't have the full effect. I did matte 2x8 white subway tile with the QM Organic White and right now I kinda wish I had done glossy, but it's not grouted or cleaned so I don't feel like I have the full picture. I remember seeing a pictures of the pumice colored subway tile on here and thinking it was gorgeous! And I still think if you find the right marble tile it can look pretty with the quartz. Can't wait to see everything!

Frances Eldi thanked katieleabrown86
  • lam702
    7 years ago

Its never a good idea to buy backsplash materials before the counters and cabinets are in. You just can't accurately judge how the colors will look in your kitchen, with your lighting until its all done. I can't tell you how many tile samples we looked at which seemed perfect in the tile store, but once we brought them home, under our lighting, they weren't right. After many attempts, we finally got it right. If we had bought the tile before the counters were in, I'm sure we would have chosen the wrong tile. Be patient, get the counters in, and bring samples home to get a good idea of how it will look.

• Navy Momma
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I did a light taupey grey crackle subway with my Roccoco Quartz:

this was taken before everything was finished.

• Meghan Stamelos
    7 years ago

@kelleg69 where did you get your backsplash?

• Frances Eldi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay. My counters are in. I will take pictures tomorrow. The BNC is as expected when looking down at them. From a distance the edge of the counters look a bit grey/white. I thought I'd be seeing more of the veining on the edges. I still love it though. My son has decided to get Organic White, KatieLea. There's a compliment for you there. Aprilneverends, you are correct the subway tile I am considering is Whisper White not Winter White. Sorry about that. I'm also considering a crackle gray.

Those are HomeDepot pictures. IRL the white is super white and the gray looks like Revere Pewter.

• Frances Eldi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Whisper White

Dove Gray

• katieleabrown86
    7 years ago

Feldi so excited for you about your counters! I like both tiles but need to see the counter to know which i prefer. I can't remember if your cabinets are white or grey, but I think I'm leaning toward the grey tile.

• Frances Eldi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Frances Eldi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Frances Eldi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• katieleabrown86
    7 years ago

Looks great! I am the worst at picking tile and I think they all look great so go with your gut... I did the white on white look and it was so white I ended up doing grey grout to balance it out. I think a grey tile probably would have balanced the counter better but I fell in love with that white herringbone I ended up doing. I also picked a matte tile and kind of wish I had picked something with a glossier finish for some more sparkle. Your choices look like they will do that and have more dimension. Good luck!

• katieleabrown86
    7 years ago

Looks great! I am the worst at picking tile and I think they all look great so go with your gut... I did the white on white look and it was so white I ended up doing grey grout to balance it out. I think a grey tile probably would have balanced the counter better but I fell in love with that white herringbone I ended up doing. I also picked a matte tile and kind of wish I had picked something with a glossier finish for some more sparkle. Your choices look like they will do that and have more dimension. Good luck!

• Frances Eldi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really like the white. I love white so it works for me. Gray grout is a good idea. Do you happen to remember which gray you picked? I have Light Pewter and Smoke Grey. Talk about perseverating over details, eh?

• katieleabrown86
    7 years ago

I noticed I always picked white tile backsplashes in all my inspiration pictures. That or marble tiles. If I could do two kitchens I would do a kitchen with a marble backsplash. My grout is from Home Depot I think the polyblend line in platinum.

• Frances Eldi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Your kitchen is magnificent. White kitchens are all the rage these days anyway. Perfect timing for me. I lover your canisters, too.

• Meghan Stamelos
    7 years ago

I ended up doing- Q calacatta vincenza with a white subway tile and a herringbone marble mosaic. I love it! Still not completed yet but close

• tbchic
    7 years ago

@kelleg69 would you mind sharing where you got your back splash? Looks great!

• Frances Eldi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I got white subway tiles - Premier Decor from MSI from Home Depot. Highland Park called Whisper White. I love it.

• Summerseason
    6 years ago

All of your kitchens look great! Kelleg69 - how are you liking your Polarstone Olympia quartz - any quality issues? Need to make a decision ASAP and think I am going with that one.

• Summerseason
    6 years ago

Also Navy Momma what type of gray crackle subway tile is that - it is what I am looking for, let me know, thanks!