Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeynepdollfish

Aloe Variegata Cutting Roots Dried Out

zeynepdollfish
8 years ago

I have been trying to root this cutting for about a month. It grew a tiny root at first in the first couple of days, but then I dropped it and it broke a little. Then I stuck it in dry soil and sprayed the plant only every other day for about 20 days. Yesterday when I checked it the tiny root had dried out and the plant looks really thirsty at this point.

What should I do with this cutting? Leave it as it is? Dry soil? Damp soil? No soil? Should I cut off the bottom portion again to get a flat surface? Should I pull out some leaves from the bottom?

Will it make it?

Comments (12)

• lmontestella
    8 years ago

Sorry to say this, but every time you take it out to check it, you set it back again, by disrupting whatever tiny root hairs it may already be trying to form.

So pls. do as suggested above, put it back & pls. leave it alone. It's on plant time, not people time. Sorry, but you need to pls be patient. It may take MONTHS.

I have one of these which lost its roots some time back & its took MONTHS to get re-established.

The slight wrinkling in the bottom doesn't mean the plant is thirsty. Pls. check the definition of succulents, it describes plants which have the ability to hold water in reserve in their fat, fleshy leaves. That's how the plant will survive until it gets re-established.

Pls. consider in the wild it doesn't have someone to check on it & spray it daily It'll root where it falls w/out anyone to help it along.

When you see the beginning of a new leaf you'll know it's grown new roots. Until then it's a waiting game, as suggested it's best to just forget about it.

Lena

Also, FYI: you need not start a new post for every new question about it; it's the same plant w/ related questions, so it can stay all in one post, otherwise it's confusing to see the same plant in several posts (I'd answered on the other post too); just so you know.

zeynepdollfish thanked lmontestella
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The first aloe roots that appear are fat and yellow (or white), as indicated by red arrow. It can take months for roots to form. You have to be patient. 20 days is nothing. This plant took 2 months, and was in 100% dry mix. It looks wet here because I washed off the root system to take the photo. By your photo with the bumps on the base roots are starting to form. Leave it two months and it will be well rooted. These plants are not in a hurry so be like them. Do not recut--the base is firm, dry, pale in color. It is perfect as it is. It does not have to be flat.

zeynepdollfish thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • zeynepdollfish
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thank you guys. the plant is back in the pot with dry mix. I might spray it occasionally. i don't know how this helps though, do succulents take up water from their leaves as well?

i posted in my older topic as well but then i thought that didn't "bump" that title. you are right though its a forum no no. Ill make sure to post updates in the same post.

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Did your aloe ever root?

zeynepdollfish thanked Lauren (Zone 9a)
  • zeynepdollfish
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes! Yes it did! It took painfully long but now its got an extensive and healthy root system. I think it took about 5 months for 1 or 2 roots to develop enough to stop the plant from consuming its own leaves. It seems like its pushing out a flower even.

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Oh my! Congrats! That is a long time indeed. I am rooting one now and was worried after three weeks:). I'll just go ahead and pot it up and wait.

so glad your plant made it!

• Kyndra Connor
    6 years ago

I have a very tall tiger aloe that grew very top heavy and toppled over, breaking off it root base at the bottom. So to clarify - I can remove the old roots, put the stem back in the pot with some supports on the sides and leave it and it'll be fine? Should I spray it daily or can I water it a small amount once a week like I have been?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Pls. do not spray succulents, and do not water plants without roots - plant can't take in the water without them, and will most likely rot.

If your plant is already very tall, I would suggest to make it shorter by chopping off some more stem. BUT, pls. post a photo to see before doing anything...:)

• Kyndra Connor
    6 years ago

I haven't done anything yet - I keep reading conflicting information and want to make sure I do the right thing. I don't want to lose it. It flowered this year for the first time and I'd rather keep it around.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It looks quite sturdy and healthy (mine was more etiolated). It is tall, so if you want shorter plant, you could take off 1 or 2 leaves. It should have clean cut, so if frayed from being broken, recut with sharp blade. You may have to take off lowest leaf.

I would let it callus for some time: just leave on a paper towel or tray out of sunlight for a while, until cut end scab/calluses over. It will likely start growing little 'nubs' - see this thread. Very first photo is of same aloe that I decapitated since it was too tall. It was left out of soil, in bright but not hot & sunny spot, for over a month. After potting it in very gritty mix, I didn't water until around Aug 1 = first time; so it was left dry for over 2mo I the pot. Here it is now:

It was supported with those 3 rocks. Do not dig to see if there are roots, that will just disturb it. After at least a month of potting up, I just touched it gently and felt it still bit 'loose' - meaning the roots have not anchored plant. After another mo it felt much more stable. I can take the rocks out now since there is no need for support (will leave them since I don't mind the look :)

• Kyndra Connor
    6 years ago

Okay, perfect! Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it. :)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living