Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
escolat

Splotchy Yellow Leaves on Christmas Palm

escolat
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Please help me analyze what is wrong with my palm tree leaves. I have had these for 3 years and have noticed that recently , the new leaves are becoming 'splotchy' or mottled. I recently have repotted it and think the new soil may be too heavy and wet.

I don't see any signs of scale or spider mites…I mist daily and constantly check. Is this a sign of wet soil, dry air, fungal disease, old leaves or deficient nutrients? thanks

Comments (6)

• escolat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I use Foliage Pro liquid fertilizer( It was highly recommended and initially created wonderful , strong growth ) Recently, I have transplanted the palm into a larger pot after 2 years in a crowded nursery pot in my home….So that may be the problem. I am hoping the 'splotching' will cease now that the palm is in fresh soil. I see no webs or scales. Spider mites usually have those tell-tale webs early. I have never rinsed the soil due to it's size. The trees sit under a skylight and gets sun daily. It seems to love the sun.

This is the crowded, original pot and the new pot I transplanted it into.

A local nursery man believes that my Christmas palms are showing signs of stress. Here is a recent pic although you can't see the leaf mottling. What do you think? thanks

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

You posted last year about this. The conclusion was the pot is too small, unless you are going to root prune it to fit with fresh soil.

The more you try and hold down the height...you are going to get a palm keeping the minimal amount of fronds. It can still be healthy..but scaled down in everything.

escolat thanked stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
  • cwrenodude
    7 years ago

With almost any palm in a container, we have found that the biggest culprit of that splotchy yellow and or yellow brown/black look on fronds is due to potassium deficiency. Potassium (along with Magnesium) seem to be readily depleted from the soil in containers with watering.. The palm in the photo seems to be in the early stages of deficiency as we often see around here. (See Pic)

Adding Potassium along with comparable amounts of Magnesium will very likely produce normal looking new foliage to develop. Unfortunately, the marking on the existing fronds will not repair so sooner treatment is advised. For more on this have a look at the University of Florida Publication at the link >> Univ of Florida Publication Good luck and please let us all know how things go.

escolat thanked cwrenodude
  • escolat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you.Your explanation is excellent. I really don't see significant pests. Is there a common product/commercial fertilizer that I could apply to correct this situation?

• cwrenodude
    7 years ago

We have used LutzCorp Palm Fertilizer spikes for in-ground palms and small amounts of broken up spikes for potted palms. They sell time release spikes specifically formulated for treating the most common deficiencies and they are available in small quantities. We have been using them here for more than 10 years. They also publish the chemical analysis of the fertilizer options which may help you locate a more convenient locally available substitute. The details are at the website; Lutzcorp Palm Spikes

escolat thanked cwrenodude