Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracytribe

Kitchen Cabinet Refacing

Rhonda
7 years ago

We are talking to a refacing company about refacing our cabinets and I have a question about the height of our kitchen cabinets. Our current cabinets are about 44" tall. We plan on replacing all of our doors and extending the cabinets to the ceiling. We will no longer have the single door with the glass. It will be like all the other doors. We plan on having glass in the top part of the area above our current cabinets, similar to the picture with the gray cabinets. My question is should those be separate doors from the others or is it ok to make the glass part of the lower door (one single door). It seems like it would be a really tall door. The space between the ceiling and the top of the current cabinets is about 10". Our designer says if we do a separate door for the glass, there won't be much glass showing. If we do a single door, I think it would be about 54". Another cabinet told us that was too tall and the door could warp. My cabinets are the white ones. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Taylor's Cabinets & Interiors
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If you have 12" above the doors now, there should be room to put a separate glass door.

You could probably replace the cabinets for around the same money though.

• nicole___
    7 years ago

I'd put in "new" cabinets for the same price. Have you looked at the ready to assemble Cabinets? I used them and I was so impressed! I don't sell them, I used them in my latest remodel. I'm guessing more people don't use them because they don't know about them...?

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We just had Quartz put in, and we were thinking about having our cabinets painted. They are melamine, not solid wood. They are starting to peel and we are starting to have problems with some of the drawers. Now, we've decided we need to replace doors and drawers...should have done that first, instead of counters. That's why we are refacing. The space above the cabinets is about 10", and the kitchen designer says that would make the glass too small with a separate door.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Are you sure your cabinets are currently 44" tall? They look like 36" tall cabinets to me. You are planning to reface the four wall cabinets in the picture or are you refacing all the kitchen cabinets? Can I ask why you want to reface them? As others said, refacing is not cheap, sometime for expensive than replacing. What are your goals? Also, you would need new cabinets to raise the cabinets to the ceiling, how do you intend to achieve this? Give some more details and the group will be able to provide more input.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

You're putting lipstick on a pig. Get new cabinets when you can afford them,

• Rhonda
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We are not doing new cabinets, because we just had Quartz put in and plan on doing all upper and lower cabinets. I'm not sure if it's possible to remove Quartz to put in new cabinets, but I don't want to take the chance of damaging the Quartz. I realize we should have done cabinets first, but we didn't, so we're trying to do the next best thing. The cost is about the same.

My current cabinet doors measure about 41-1/2", with crown molding about 44". Boxes would be built above my current cabinets to take it all the way to the ceiling, and then new doors would go all the way to the ceiling, with glass in the top part. This would make the door about 54" tall. I'm just wondering if this is feasible, and will we have any trouble with the doors...warping, too heavy, etc? It would look similar to this picture, except one single door, not two. This is a kitchen the designer refaced.

• PRO
    7 years ago

You have 42" tall wall cabinets now, if you measure from the top of the cabinet box to the ceiling, I'll bet you have 12" give or take a fraction. The 2" crown on the boxes now, comes off.

To get the look of the kitchen above you'll need to use a 30" bottom door, with an 18" top glass door, leaving about 6" for crown. It can be done when refacing, but will probably be cheaper to just replace and start out with 48" tall stacked wall cabinets.

You can reuse the quartz, you'll just have to find the right countertop guy. We do it all time. Of course there is a small risk of breaking the counters, but it's small.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Taylor's,

I think the OP wants one long cabinet door which would be about 54" tall. What are your thoughts on such a long door on the wall cabinet?

• amykath
    7 years ago

I believe you need to different cab boxes with two separate doors to achieve what you are looking for and as said, so the door does not warp.

• PRO
    7 years ago

The OP was asking if 1 long door would be okay. I wouldn't do it.

If it must be refaced, then build a fixed shelf at 30" and use a 30" door and an 18" door up top

• User
    7 years ago

What you want will be MORE expensive than new cabinets. Buy new cabinets.