Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Loving Oxyclean - my white linen slipcovers look new again!

juddgirl2
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Love the custom tailored linen slipcovers on my head and foot dining chairs, but with my hard-working, DIY'er DH as the primary user they get more than a bit dingy.

I've always taken them to the dry cleaner, but even with wet cleaning they haven't been able to get all the stains out. Not so noticeable to anyone else, and they still look pretty, yet slightly stained - unlike the little seat slips on my side chairs, which still look brand new. I regularly wash those, but wasn't sure if the tailored slipcovers would fare so well in the washing machine.

Decided to try washing them at home after noticing they were grubbier than usual. Very happy to say that after a day soaking in a tub full of Oxyclean and hot water (actually 2 tubs full because I had to switch out the dirty water pretty quickly - yuck!), and a gentle machine wash and tumble dry (to just barely damp), my slipcovers are bright, white, and CLEAN! Not a single stain left.

Other than one little spot on an arm that's gotten a bit threadbare and will need repair, my 6-year old slipcovers look new again! They were so sparkling clean that my oyster linen side chair slips looked a bit dull in comparison, so I soaked those overnight in Oxy to brighten them up a bit too.

Wish I had done this earlier. I could have saved so much money in drycleaning costs :) I'm also feeling even better about my plans to fill my TN farmhouse full of slipcovered furniture - love the look but also love the idea of being able to get everything so clean.

No before pics but here are a few afters:

Comments (40)

• nutsaboutplants
    7 years ago

Wow! Looks new. Have to try it on some of my linen.

juddgirl2 thanked nutsaboutplants
  • User
    7 years ago

So glad Oxyclean worked for you! I've used Oxyclean in the past and have been underwhelmed. But I've never soaked more than 20 minutes or so. Maybe that's the problem.

juddgirl2 thanked User
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think soaking them longer definitely helped. I also spot treated a few food stains but they were pretty grubby overall and came completely clean.

Forgot - I also added one of these pods to the wash. Did an extra rinse to make sure there was no residue left.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lisa - I also used A LOT of Oxyclean to soak them. I think I used about 3 full scoops of Oxy in less than half a tub full of water. When I use Oxy in the washing machine for a regular load of towels I only use a small scoop.

• cawaps
    7 years ago

I became a fan of Oxiclean when my daughter was a baby. And yes, I would soak things for several hours in a pretty concentrated solution. The stuff is great on food and grass stains.

juddgirl2 thanked cawaps
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

I need to try this again and soak some DULL whites over night and see if that helps. I bought a HUGE box from Sam's and I haven't found it to do anything whatsoever. We have quite a few dull white T-shirts and I think I'll throw in the dingy socks. I'll try to remember to report back and tell if it did anything.

juddgirl2 thanked arkansas girl
  • bpath
    7 years ago

I soak things usually overnight, and am very happy with Oxyclean! Things are so Clean and Bright! I use less than a scoop in a dishpan of water (I have a front load) so not use how concentrated that is.

juddgirl2 thanked bpath
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

Oxyclean makes me nervous. When it was first out, I used it all the time But last year it ruined a couple of my good towels, left yellow stains I could never get out.

Now i use White Brite. WAY awesomer than Oxyclean!

juddgirl2 thanked tibbrix
  • rococogurl
    7 years ago

I swear by oxiclean cold soaks. They always work.

juddgirl2 thanked rococogurl
  • dedtired
    7 years ago

funny you should mention oxyclean. I just used some on a load of white stuff, and at the risk of sounding like an ad, the laundry came out sparkling. Maybe just changing up laundry products from time to time helps, but now I use a scoop of oxyclean in every load except darks.

juddgirl2 thanked dedtired
  • User
    7 years ago

DD1 worked for Rachel Ashwell/Shabby Chic. They always washed the slipcovers with OxyClean in cold water. She said she would be weary of using hot water due to shrinkage over time, even if the fabric was preshrunk.

juddgirl2 thanked User
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

I always use a full scoop of OxyClean with my whites (towels and sheets mostly). Sometimes I will let them sit for 20-40 minutes. I don't know if it's making a difference or not, but I suspect it is. How long do some of you let your stuff soak? How much OC do you use?

juddgirl2 thanked Bunny
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Linelle, when I really want to brighten something like my linen sheets or these slipcovers, or they're extra dirty, I let them soak in the bathtub for several hours. Either half a day or overnight. I use 3 or 4 scoops depending on how much water I'm using.

Unfortunately, I have a front loading washing machine and can't soak regular loads of laundry, so I just add Oxy to the prewash dispenser for towels and whites. I'm thinking my next washing machine might need to be a top loader. I'll miss the counter space but then at least I could soak in the machine instead of the bathtub!

• Kippy
    7 years ago

I will have to try soaking as well. Count me as another who was underwhelmed with the product. I tried a different "white" product and yes things are whiter but it leaves a horrible scent. Not so good because I had to use the commercial washer at the laundry mat and now I need to haul it back and rewash if the sun can't refresh

juddgirl2 thanked Kippy
  • User
    7 years ago

I have a front loader, too, and can't soak anything. The adjacent utility sink has seen too much in its day for soaking white slipcovers. I end up just using bleach in the washing machine, and mine come out fine.

Soaking in cold water is key, too, rather than hot, when using Oxyclean?

juddgirl2 thanked User
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

KippY - I'm sensitive to smells so I used the no added perfumes or dyes Oxy. The pod thst I added to the wash left a scent but it didn't smell too strong.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I love the scent free Oxy for things like this. Glad it worked. I have a front loader with a soak cycle, but it will only soak with cold. Sometimes I want to soak on hot so I just start the regular wash cycle with the Oxy in the tub with the item, then pause it after it starts and the Oxy is well distributed. So you can soak in a front loader. I set a timer to remind me to restart it - I can add detergent at that point, but have to put it in through the door because I think at that point the dispenser would already have tried to dispense it. If your door locks and you can't add the detergent, I'd just let it finish, check to make sure the stain is gone and rewash with detergent on a short cycle.

juddgirl2 thanked Olychick
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oly - I don't seem to have a soak cycle option on my front loader. I'll have to check the manual.

I'm soaking my shower curtain in Oxy today and it seems to have gotten rid of the pinkish stain on the bottom that never seems to come completely clean in the regular wash.

• Bonnie
    7 years ago

I've got a load of white towels and sheets on the soak cycle while reading this! I do like Oxy, but use it only when things have gotten dingy or stained. I pre-treated a couple of spots with Oxy spray first. I've been on the look out for White Brite since Tibbix first mentioned it here but have not found it in stores. May have to order online.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Funny, bpathome :) I haven't tried the Bluing or White Brite but those sound promising.

lisad - I'm not sure about soaking in cold for Oxy. I used hot water because I thought it might better dissolve the detergent and it worked great, but I would think cold water would be best if you'd concerned about shrinkage, as Allison mentioned.

• Leslie Pokrajac
    7 years ago

I can't find White Brite here in Ohio either! I found it the absolute best for brightening whites.

juddgirl2 thanked Leslie Pokrajac
  • User
    7 years ago

I read that if you are using it with cold water, to dissolve it in a bit of hot water first, then add that to the cold water. I'm going to try it with my white C&B slipcover today which, ridiculously, says to wash in cold water.

juddgirl2 thanked User
  • runninginplace
    7 years ago

My husband loves Oxyclean and soaks stained items for extended periods of time; it's not unusual for him to leave stuff in the soaking bucket for days.

I guess because he was a chemistry major he is fascinated by laundry stain treating which is fine with me, less work on my task list LOL. Anyway he's gotten some really nasty stains out and he swears by Oxyclean.

juddgirl2 thanked runninginplace
  • bpath
    7 years ago

Tnfarmhousefixin, bluing is great for whites, but you have be sure it is completely dissolved (well, that's not the word for liquid in liquid, but you know what I mean) so that you don't get blue spots on the clothes. In my top-loader, I could add it as the water was going in, then let it agitate for a few minutes to really disperse, then add the whites. They came out brilliant! But with the FL it's totally different. I think there's a way but I just use Oxy instead. Oh, and Persil.

juddgirl2 thanked bpath
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

bpathome - good to know! I really miss my top loader for things like soaking and dying fabrics.

runninginplace - I wish my DH was so fascinated with laundry!

gail - please let me know how it goes with the C&B slipcover. I'm thinking of getting one of their Lee Industries slipcovered sofas for the new house and was wondering how easy/hard it would be to keep the slips clean.

• User
    7 years ago

Tnfarmhouse, thanks so much for starting this thread! I was just about to give up on getting out food stains from a favorite winter top. I must have tried 4 times with no luck. Last night I soaked it in hot water and a few scoops of Oxi. Checked this morning and the stains are gone! Thanks again!!!

juddgirl2 thanked User
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

Unlike rococogurl, I use hot water for Oxiclean soaks. I do this for every type of fabric. Fill the tub with hot water and one scoop of Oxiclean, let it agitate for no longer than 5 minutes, turn the washer off and let soak overnight. My daughter had a blouse that she loved that had a stain she could not get out; she loved the blouse so she could not throw it away. I told her to bring it to me - she didn't think my method would removed the stain. To her surprise, the stain was completely removed. She was thrilled. I truly believe the hot water is the key to stain removal with Oxiclean.

juddgirl2 thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • bbstx
    7 years ago

I just bought the gigundo box of Oxiclean. Why? It works wonders at cleaning the grout in my bathroom. Following instructions I found on the web, of course, I mixed a half-scoop of Oxiclean with 2 cups of hot water. I then smeared the Oxiclean/water mix over the floor and let it set for one hour. Then I wiped up the mixture, rinsed the floor, and dried it. It worked like a charm, but next time I'll be hiring someone to deep-clean the floor.

Bill Vincent, a tile expert, who frequently posts on the Bathroom forum, suggested that tile floors be cleaned once a month with an Oxiclean solution.

I have soaked shirts for a couple of days in Oxiclean to get stains out. Generally they were unwearable, so we had nothing to lose. I was always pleased with the results.

juddgirl2 thanked bbstx
  • Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

I am so glad you posted this. My DD dropped a spoonful of baby food on a new pair of my white pants when we were feeding the grand babies. I scrubbed them with some type of oxy pre treat stick and let it set overnight. The stains are still there. I am going to try a soak in oxyclean.

juddgirl2 thanked Holly- Kay
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

bbstx - I never thought about using it for grout. I wonder if it's safe to use on natural stone floor, like the travertine in my bathrooms?

CindyMac, Holly-Kay, and Walnutcreek - I haven't tried soaking clothes yet, but will need to try it for a couple of stained tops. Also DH'S white work socks :)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

It is great for thoroughly cleaning underwear, too.

Also soak white towels in it. I practically soak anything white in it or anything that gets a stain. Have never had it to fade color on colored items.

juddgirl2 thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • bbstx
    7 years ago

HK, you may have to soak those white pants for days! Last year I discovered that a stain had oxidized on my favorite pair of white linen pants. They had been in the closet several years. I soaked them in Oxiclean for a couple of days. Then I rubbed lemon juice on the stain and put them in the sunshine. The stain faded but I could still see a ghost of it. So, I soaked the pants in appropriately diluted (whatever the directions say) bluing. That did the trick!

TNfarm, a quick Google search leads me to believe that you cannot use Oxiclean on travertine.

juddgirl2 thanked bbstx
  • Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

They are soaking in oxyclean right now. I sure hope it helps because I really like the pants.

• User
    7 years ago

tnfarm - wanted to get back to you. I washed my white cotton sofa slipcover and it came out great. I dissolved about six scoops of Oxy-clean in a bowl of hot water, stirred it around for a few minutes and added that to the cold water in the machine. I also used detergent. I let the machine run for a few minutes then stopped it and restarted it the next day. They came out great. Best thing is I had these strange orange/yellow discoloration spots on one of the cushions, I thought it was from bleach and would never come off but it did. I think instructions do say to use Oxy-clean with hot water but I didn't want to risk these slipcovers shrinking, and they came out really better than they ever have.

juddgirl2 thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

I remember back in the day I was very impressed with oxiclean but about a year ago I tried the detergent ( liquid) which was underwhelming. I am going to try the powder again and soak some towels and socks for extended period of time and hope I am as pleased as everyone else. Thanks for the reminder again.

• Debbie Downer
    7 years ago

What does it do with colors? I have a cotton quilt that is mostly white but has color applique fabric pieces stitched on and the back side is yellow. Its washable, and I have used detergent with color safe bleach in it, but the white has become kinda dingy.

• bbstx
    7 years ago

CR, while it says it is supposed to be color safe, if I were you, I'd mix up a small amount of Oxiclean using the proportions on the box, and test it on a small inconspicuous area of a colored piece. If you made the quilt yourself and you have scraps of the colored pieces left, that would be an even better test piece! Good luck.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the update, gail! I'm glad to hear the CB slipcovers are easy to get clean. I'm really looking forward to getting one of their sofas for our new house once we move.

Current resident - I get the color safe Oxyclean and have used a scoop in my regular wash for medium and dark colors with no problems, but haven't tried it to soak them for a longer period so I'm not sure. Maybe just try it with one darker item first?

• Me Myself
    4 years ago

Can you use OClean on linen sheers that specifically say "dry clean only"?