Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sm7712

Paint Color for Cabinets to compliment countertop

sm7712
7 years ago

We are looking to paint our kitchen cabinets and I would love some advice on what color would best compliment our countertops. Here is our granite:

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Comments (12)

• sm7712
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sorry about that- we have white subway tiles (we are getting new flooring as well...not sure about the color/kind yet). This is an older picture...dishwasher is now stainless steel

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    7 years ago

If you are keeping the cabinets and the cabinet doors, I would stay with white for the cabinetry. Very old style look and I would not attempt to put trendy colors on them. It would look out of place.

• leelee
    7 years ago

You might be able to swap out your hinges to hidden hinges. This will be a huge difference in the look of your kitchen. Are you planning to keep the scalloped valance over the sink?

Move the knobs so that they're 1 inch from the bottom and side of the doors. They'll be right in the middle of the lower (or upper) point of the doors.

• leelee
    7 years ago

You could go away from the white if you're brave. White is classic but you might be ready for a change. Since counters are gray you have many options.

What other colors are you using in your home?

• leelee
    7 years ago

Here's another bold idea.

• sm7712
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the idea about the hidden hinges! though wouldn't i be left with holes exposed from the current hinges?

As for colors, we were thinking something in the grey family

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    7 years ago

Hidden hinges are not an option with this type of door. The door has no stiles and rails - it is basically made of plywood type product so it is not thick enough to cut a hinge cup into the back of the door in order to mount the hinge. These doors were popular in the 50s and 60s.

• PRO
    Roomworks Roz Morgan Design
    7 years ago

First you have to pick the color and type of flooring you want for your kitchen. Paint color always comes last because paint can be adapted to any hue and compared to the cost of a floor it is cheap. In any case I would probably go with a white that works with your floor and your granite. But beware white comes with many undertones and is not as easy to choose as one thinks.

Don't move your knobs unless you are really good at filling and sanding. It is a lot of work to get it right. If you feel confident about being able to do a professional job or you are using a professional then the cabinets would look better if you resituated the knobs. I can almost guarantee that you cannot swap your hinges out and I wouldn't try. Trying might split the wood.

• leelee
    7 years ago

Bad news from Brickwood. Normally you would putty holes, then sand and paint over since you're painting anyway.

Remove the hinges and paint then replace them. Don't paint the hinges.

• greenyogini
    7 years ago

What about a paint refresh in white or slightly off-white for the top cabinets, then a grey tone for the lower cabinets? (Image inspiration below.)

And for a more updated look, you could consider removing the cornice above the sink / window, and converting a couple of the cabinets to open shelving.

Farmhouse Chic - Steveston Townhouse · More Info

Berkeley Traditional Kitchen · More Info

• antigua30
    7 years ago
    I think we have the same countertop! My original thought was to have a two-tone cabinet finish (white on top, dark on the bottom) but I felt we didn't have enough natural light for dark cabinets and dark floors. We went with white cabinets because we wanted the dark floors. The wall paint has a faint pink tint, to pick up the pink in the countertop, and we also have subway tile :). Our kitchen has a bar that opens to the living room and we did use the two-tone on that side - see second photo (pls excuse the craft/Lego mess). The bottom cabinet is not as dark as it looks in the picture; it's almost like a cherry and we love it. Hope it helps!