Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murchkid

Not Super White ... NEW Super White Quartzite. Opinions?

murchkid
7 years ago

I visited a local stone yard, yesterday, and they had a quartzite called "New Super White Quartzite". Has anyone used this or know anything about it?

Comments (23)

• jaimeeap
    7 years ago

They have it labeled as a marble, not a quartzite. So, I'm assuming it is a softer, more porous stone than "old" super white.

• Gooster
    7 years ago

Looks just like the marbles I've seen from Brazil. They have some nice ones with greens and blues mixed in. Slightly harder than Carrera but will still fail the scratch/etch tests.

murchkid thanked Gooster
  • schesas
    7 years ago

It looks kind of like mine. We found it at only one stone yard, and it was called Petra white there. We never saw it anywhere else. So far we love it!

murchkid thanked schesas
  • lkalzamora100
    7 years ago

I brought home a sample from Cosmos a few weeks ago. It looked fabulous but failed the etch test. Such a bummer

murchkid thanked lkalzamora100
  • murchkid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ikalzamora100, have you chosen your stone, yet? What did you go with and which stone yard did you end up working with? I've been all over the DMV!

• lkalzamora100
    7 years ago

murchkid, I am still in the hunt for a countertop. I really want a black/gray and white kitchen. I have been warned against black countertops due to the challenge of looking clean. I am not the type to polish them after cleaning. I haven't found a granite that is white enough to go with white cabinets. Marble is my dream but a no go for my husband. His only requirement is that it cannot etch or scratch. So wood, marble and soapstone are out. This week I decided to relook at quartz and Dekton. I have looked at several marble like quartz samples but I haven't found any that I love and they cost significantly more than carrara. I am still at a loss as to what to do. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

• murchkid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm ... well, I'm not sure I can be of much help, since I'm looking for white with blue/gray and a little tan. I don't mind scratching or etching, so marble and quartzite are what I've been looking at. Don't have a fabricator, yet, so can't tell you anything about pricing. I was all over Chantilly, yesterday ... Cosmos, East West, Daltile, MSInternational, Marble Systems ... more confused now than ever. The New Super White that I saw at Cosmos does intrigue me, however. Good luck!

• lkalzamora100
    7 years ago

I am also looking for white with blue/gray and some tan. I am rethinking the new super white. I actually like it better than super white and the price is better. since we are looking at the same yards, have you found anything else that fits the bill?

• murchkid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

East west has Polar White marble that's got that coloration. Not my fave, but worth looking at.

• lkalzamora100
    7 years ago

Too funny. Polar White is one of my other sample that I have and really liked. It actually looks better in my home. The title of marble has me concerned. Why is everything pretty either marble or too expensive for me.

• murchkid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha! This is the ongoing tug-of-war in my heart and mind. I got quotes for 9 & &12,500 for a couple of different varieties of marble. I'm going to try a different fabricator on the same stones just to be sure I'm not getting scammed. BTW, have you chosen a fabricator? Can you share?

• lkalzamora100
    7 years ago

I have spoken to four fabricators after my first initial sticker shock ($15,000 for calacatta gold). I haven't gotten apples to apples comparison from all the fabricators. But Dominion Marble & Granite were the highest price but has a great reputation. EuroStone was next but I really haven't given them specific stones yet. They were great in that they have quite a large selection on site. The most reasonable prices were Richstone and Granite Grannies. I have just been corresponding over the phone/email with both of these. Granite Grannies will come all the way out to Ashburn. Lori at Granite Grannies is very helpful with picking the stone. But until I pick a stone I won't pick a fabricator. Hopefully this will help. Where are you located?

• murchkid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm in Bethesda. Talked with Washington Marble and Granite and waiting on Fernando's. I'll let you know how they compare.

• lkalzamora100
    7 years ago

Went to the slab yards again yesterday. Still love the new super white and the polar white. I received very similar pricing for these two from a fabricator. I also liked the Mont Blanc. Did you see this one? I wish I know what price range it is in.

• murchkid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ikalzamora, I went to MSI in Jessup and fell hard for Calacatta Lincoln Marble. It looks like there are more slabs at the MSI in VA, too. I was quoted $8400 at Fernando's in Rockville. Take a look:

• kiko_gw
    7 years ago

murchkid, true quartzite will not scratch OR etch. Have you read the counterop geology posts?

murchkid thanked kiko_gw
  • lkalzamora100
    7 years ago

Beautiful slab. I can only dream as that would look perfect in my kitchen. About how many sq feet are you having. I was hoping to keep our counters (65 sq ft) coming in at about $5000. We have splurged on appliances. I am a sucker for nice appliances. Was thinking $6000 for appliances, came in about $16,000. Oh well moderate countertops will look great next to my range.

New super white and polar white marble come in right on target. Waiting to hear about Mont Blanc and a couple calacattas which are most likely too expensive.

• Janine Timmermann
    7 years ago

kiko. . . . I saw a post you wrote a few years back about your scraped hardwoods. I loved how yours turned out and we are also working with the same 2 in boards. When you had your floors scraped, did you just do with the grain, east/west, double scrape?

• murchkid
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I need about 70-ish sqft total for my counters and island. That same slab (in the photo) was priced out at 12,800 by one fabricator, so look around.

I know what you mean about going over budget ... when I first started this process, I was horrified that refrigerators cost over $1000! By the time I finished purchasing appliances, I was in your zone. How quickly we move on. I say, get what you love (within reason) :-). You won't regret it!

• kiko_gw
    7 years ago

Janine, it's been a while but they were scraped by hand, 3 guys with chisels I believe. The scraping is perpendicular to the wood grain. Sorry, but I don't know exactly what east/west or double scrape is. We wanted floors that could take the "beating" of kids/dogs/life/wet pool feet and inevitable scratches/wear would blend in which it has.

• PRO
    WS Granite Tops
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This is a picture of Super White Quartzite we installed recently in Delray Beach, FL.

If they are showing you the same material, its very durable and resistant to scratches. It can etch when is in contact with lime or vinegar.

Its a level 5 material (in price range). Each slab cost more than $2000.

• heffer569
    7 years ago

This my new super white it does etch but doesn't stain we are almost done with backsplash and then can do a reveal so far we love the counters