Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbr2

Bathroom thresholds, shower curbs and niche shelves- tile/stone?

sarahbr2
7 years ago

Cross posted in bathrooms:

We are building a new home with 4.5 bathrooms. In many of them we have different color floor tiles and shower floor tiles. For example, in one bathroom we have a medium/dark gray floor and the coordinating shower is very light tan/gray. The counter will be fantasy brown granite (light with gray and brown swirls, it matches the shower tile well). In the shower we need to get a curb and shelves for the niche. I assume the same stone as the counter will look nice. However, what do we do about the threshold into the bathroom? The floor is a dark gray and I think the light stone would look weird there. It seem like we could 1) use the light stone to match the counter. 2) Find a dark gray stone to match the floor (that seems like a lot of work). 3) make a tile threshold that would just continue the floor. 4) The bathroom abuts a wood floor so we could make a wood threshold but I am not sure how that would wear.

We have this problem in a number of bathrooms as many have a gray floor and white showers, or other contrasting colors. What do people for shower curbs/counters/thresholds/niche shelves? In some of the bathrooms the counters match the floor color and not the shower color so I also wonder about the curbs and niche shelves there. Thanks for any advice! I don't have a lot of time to pick stone so hoping to make this as easy as possible while still looking/functioning well.

Comments (6)

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

We continued our gray floor tile (soapstone) onto the shower curbs except for one bathroom. We have white showers. The one bathroom that is different has a marble-top sink console so we used marble for the shower curb and top of pony wall.

Do you need floor thresholds at the bathroom entries? Perhaps they would be able to make the floors flush?

sarahbr2 thanked Oaktown
  • sarahbr2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What you did sounds nice. I would completely do the same if we had the option to just match the floor but none of the floors are real stone so we'd have to look for a matching stone.

We need them at all entries but can pick wood (the hallway floor), tile or stone. Here is the powder room as an example: gray floor, wood hall (will be stained), and counter will probably be some kind of white quartz so the matching white threshold would probably look bad.

• Oaktown
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

So there will be a height differential between the two floors? If not, you could just have the wood go right up to the tile floor. Sorry if I am not explaining this well, but our tile and wood floor meet in the doorway with no threshold.

Assuming there is a height difference, I probably would choose a wood threshold -- unless you want to use a different material for visibility?

Hope others will chime in with suggestions for you. [oops typing at same time as cpartist]

sarahbr2 thanked Oaktown
  • sarahbr2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! CP that is a beautiful bathroom. Glad to hear wood worked for you. It would certainly be the easiest option since we could do the same thing in every room and the wood guy said he could bevel as needed. I am not 100% sure on the heights but they are at least very close in height. That just leaves the shower curb and niche shelves. Too many decisions!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Thanks sarahbr2. Hope the new owner likes it as much as DH and I did. My shower curbs in both bathrooms were the same as our counters.