Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helaurin93

Shower design: All glass front, or half-wall for privacy?

helaurin93
7 years ago

So our master bathroom will be a rather modest 5 feet by 7 1/2 feet. Trying to decide on whether to build a half height wall between the shower and toilet, or to use an all glass design. The former gives some privacy between users, the latter lets a small space look bigger (I hope) and adds up to six inches of width for the shower.

The attached diagram shows the room, with dimensions to point out where the shower would end with or without the wall. You come in on a 5' side, with the 24" vanity immediately to your left. Take a couple more steps in, and the toilet is on your left. Directly ahead is the entry point to the shower. The shower head would be on the same wall as the toilet (obviously within the shower). I'd also like a small seat for the hand-held shower unit, so that's the little quarter-circle you see in a corner of the diagram.

If we put in a half-height wall between the shower and toilet, it will take up about six inches (framing, drywall/greenboard, tile) of the available shower space. The shower will be five feet long, but the question is whether we go with 30" of width and a privacy wall, or 36" of width and no privacy wall.

30" wide shower with privacy wall
36" wide shower with glass partitition

Comments (20)

• Bev
    7 years ago

I would want a privacy wall since I'm a very private person!

• Jane Slaton
    7 years ago

I really think with this size bath you are only going to have one person at a time in the room, so I choose the larger shower.

• valiamo
    7 years ago

If you're worried about privacy, you can always lock the bathroom door.....

• helaurin93
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks. The only way to access this bathroom is through the "master" bedroom, which also has a lock on the door. I'm trying to think about practicality, function etc, especially if two people are trying to "get ready" or "take care of business" pretty much at the same time. You know, like when a couple both needs to get ready for work, or for dinner out, etc. Let's say, for example, if one person is in the shower, the other person might be wiping his/her butt - not necessarily something I want to see if I happen to be getting clean or just using a hot shower to soothe aching joints. But I'd also like to maximize shower space, just in case my bf and I ever want to shower at the same time. Or whoever might inherit or buy the house, whichever comes first, when I'm no longer around.

• ecpt
    7 years ago

I really think you should go for the larger shower. In a bathroom that size, a half wall isn't really going to provide enough privacy for the circumstance you describe anyway, IMHO.

• Geneviève
    7 years ago

Honestly !

it all depends on the person ,i don't think that its appropriate to have another person in the bathroom when taking a #2 , for all other needs its fine ,a privacy wall would be of help if there is the space for one or even a water closet .

Master Bathroom · More Info

• Geneviève
    7 years ago

Whole Home Remodel, Chevy Chase, MD · More Info

• Geneviève
    7 years ago

Ha! Ha !

I ment to write inappropriate :))

• printesa
    7 years ago

Larger shower.I don't think privacy is an issue here..wall or no wall, there is no real privacy anyway, so go ahead with the larger shower

• Nikki LA
    3 years ago

helaurin93, I know this an old post. what did you decide?

• helaurin93
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for asking!

It is working out really well. We did a half-height wall between the toilet and the shower, but also made the shower extend the length of the back wall. Anyone sitting on the toilet has a semblance of privacy. The half-height privacy wall also is convenient to put items on if needed, besides the recessed niche.

The shower stall is about 30"x60". While it's still a pretty small "master bathroom" - it does the job, and it's big enough to meet our needs. I'm glad I ended the shower stall across the entire back wall though.

There's just enough room to slip by if someone is standing at the sink too.

One of the best features, you can't even see - but the contractor who did the work ran a heating vent under the sink vanity, and has the air coming out from the toe-kick area. So on really chilly mornings, with the heat on, the feet are nice and warm.

Other features I like: The corner seat - I can either stand and prop a leg up to shave there, or choose to sit there. The handheld right by it is super-convenient too. I have psoriatic arthritis, and there have been more than a few times that I've put that hand-held on a massage-pulse setting and just aimed it at whichever joint was in a flare-up to help ease the pain. The handheld shower also makes it super-easy to wash a dog if needed, as well as to wash-and-spray down the shower walls for cleaning. Also, I put an electric outlet just behind the towel bar on the right, below the window. Makes it convenient to set a cellphone up there, safe from the water, but still accessible to play music. (If you've ever hand to wash multiple dogs in a row.... it's better to listen to music than to the dogs all grumbling about getting bathed after they've played in mud). LOL.

The cat arrived after the bathrooms were done... he and his litter-mate came to us as bottle-feeder fosters from the SPCA. :)

• Nikki LA
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Looks lovely! Love everything about it. Thank you for sharing! I see the plan above super helpful! how far does the pony wall extend into room And how wide is the shower door? How big is the corner seat?

• Nikki LA
    3 years ago

I also love your tile!

• Nikki LA
    3 years ago

Are your controls also on the pony wall?

• helaurin93
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Nikki LA Actually, they are. It allows us to easily reach in without stepping in, set the temperature etc. and then step in when ready.

• Nikki LA
    3 years ago

I was thinking of doing the same.

• Nikki LA
    3 years ago

Is your tile marble?

• helaurin93
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Nikki LA Yes, it is. Purchased from The Tile Shop. Here's some of the product links: https://www.tileshop.com/Search?search=485579 (wall tile, 8"x20"),

https://www.tileshop.com/Search?search=440032 (skirting wall tile),

https://www.tileshop.com/Search?search=650047 (the shower floor)

https://www.tileshop.com/Search?search=667336 (the non-shower floor flooring)

• Cris C
    2 years ago

@ helaurin93 Can you please share your shower hardware company/style?

thank you!