Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_gold

How often should I water this soil mixture?

m_gold
7 years ago

It's my first year growing in containers. I'm growing watermelons and zucchini and letting them spread throughout my yard as they grow out of the pots.

My bottom later of a 9 gallon container (roughly 2 gallons worth) is soil from my yard. After that I combined a mixture of topsoil, compost and potting soil (at about a 1-1-5 ratio respectively). And then since I started from seeds outdoors, the top gallon or so, is only potting soil.

I cut 6 holes in the bottom of the container, off to the edges, about the size of a US quarter, or maybe slightly larger.

My past experience has been with a raised bed garden only and usually the rain does a good job at giving the soil the moisture it needs. I fear a container might lose moisture more quickly but I don't want to overwater.

Can anyone make a suggestion please?

Comments (17)

• m_gold
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What was my mistake? Not adding bark?

Thank you for the link. It's quite confusing for someone new like me but it was an interesting read

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Your mistake was using garden soil/topsoil in a container. It is very heavy and dense and won't allow proper drainage. If you are growing in a container - which has much different requirements than growing anything in the ground - then you need to use a soil mix (actually they are soil-less mixes) that is formulated to offer those unique requirements. ALL potting soil - no topsoil or garden soil and no compost - would be much better but even that can offer some challenges with many store-bought mixes as they can be too fine a texture and too moisture retentive,

Consider the soil recipes offered in that link. The 5-1-1 mix is what you want to shoot for when growing veggies or other annuals.

m_gold thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • m_gold
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I made a mistake earlier when I wrote Potting Soil, I did in fact use a soil-less mix and not potting soil. Though I did add all the other entities mentioned.

Does that soil less mix help my situation and help you better direct me when it comes to watering? Or have all the other components still caused too much of a problem?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Typically 'potting soil' is intended for pots or containers and IS a soil-less mix (although not always). It really doesn't help that you used some of that in your mix...the outcome will still be the same. You want that to be ALL of the mix :-))

• m_gold
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. I will know for next year

• suzuchan
    7 years ago

I think that maybe you need to get that garden soil out of the bottom of your pots right away. By creating strata, gardengal has advised that you will have poor drainage and are looking for root rot. Watch for yellowing leaves and anything related to fungus or wilt. Those roots are likely to be very delicate, so I don't know how to advise on cleaning out the bottom strata. Good luck to you. It's live and learn on here and no harm in trying, failing, and trying again. The path of success is often marred by failures that are our best teachers! Suzanne

• User
    7 years ago

You soil is fine. Its all about how you water.

• Dave
    7 years ago

There Anthony goes again spreading terrible info.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

As long as you got a drainage hole you can use any soil. I prefer garden soil mixed with leaf mold or pine straw. Peppers, cherry tomatoes, etc do great in containers. Most gardening is simply done best in the ground.☺

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

"Most gardening is simply done best in the ground.☺"

For many folks, especially those unfamiliar with growing in containers and the unique set of growing requirements container culture demands, that is probably true :-) But not everyone has the necessary real estate or ability for inground gardening and that's where container growing comes into the picture. And you cannot equate inground gardening and its methods with container gardening and the different methods it demands. Using garden soil in that case is just not going to work well!! It is far too heavy and dense, with slow drainage and lack of pore space and necessary aeration, and the typical listed accompaniments, like compost or leaf mold, only exacerbate that problem. It is VERY difficult to assure necessary drainage and proper aeration for the roots of container plants in that sort of medium and a poorly draining medium will lead to stunting and lack of productivity, disease issues and even root rots and death.

You CAN'T use just any soil and expect good results!! It just doesn't work that way!

Anthony, I would urge you to read this thread carefully to help you understand the differences and with a greater understanding of container culture, then perhaps you will change your ill-advised suggestions :-)

• Dave
    7 years ago

He won't read it. He doesn't care. He's here for one reason, to be obnoxious.

Not sure why anyone would come to a garden forum and act like a 15 year old, but that's what Anthony chooses to do.

• User
    7 years ago

I just tell like it is.

• Dave
    7 years ago

You don't. You're looking for attention and recognition in all the wrong ways.

theres not a single person that wants you or your information around here. You should go back to your cave now.

• User
    7 years ago

Dave....you think I'm gonna be a movie star ? HAHAHA

• User
    7 years ago

Gardengal: I have already read it....just another repost. Do yourself a favor...don't believe everything you read on the internet. KEEP THE GRAVEL OUT OF YOUR POTS !

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

LOL!! As my ex would say, 'you buy 'em books and buy 'em books and all they do is eat the pages!!"

I certainly don't believe everything I read on the internet - there is typically more garbage than useful info (your input would be classified in the former category). However I do have a strong horticultural education and can discern true science as opposed to unbased opinions and can assure that all the information contained in that link - which I seriously doubt you read or understood if you did - is based on sound soil physics. Sorry, but you cannot argue with that - it is what it is.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting