Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yiruchen

Anyone has extra butterfly ginger to give away?

hmmm hmmm
7 years ago

I am looking for the butterfly ginger. I live in NY and can not find it anywhere. Please let me know if you have any root to give away. I will pay for the postage. thank you.

Comments (6)

• steiconi
    7 years ago

I had to look it up; it's called white ginger here. smells great, spreads like a weed. USDA says I can't ship it out of state, sorry!

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago

Your hardines Zone? It is critical to know in looking into marginally hardy tropicals. Many garden ginger sources can be found online. Search for "Hedychium" or "Hardy Ginger". Plant Delights or Logees are well established quality sources. Some sources are more affordable than others.

You are likely in a colder climate than many hardy gingers will bloom well in. They might grow okay down to z7 to 8, but not flower in time outside. We have a lot of gardeners out here and Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, etc salaries to invest in gardens. So many tried different Hedychiums with limited floral success. Many types grow well but fail to flower in time.

Unless we use a greenhouse, forget the white butterfly gingers or any plant that wants a zone above (y)ours. White butterfly gingers survives z9 i think. To enjoy it in a garden move to FL or HI ... which likely sounds really really good about now with (y)our weather forecasts!

I am in z8a. Gardeners here report the best repeat success with Hedychium 'Tara' (see photo and 'CP Raffill might have a similar result) or H. densiflorum e.g. 'Assam Gold'..

In contrast H. densiflora 'Stephen' likes perhaps more heat than I have.

In my recent searching H. 'Daniel Weeks' looks like a must try here. And 'Elizabeth' has a chance, 'Dr Moy' a must have for many is going to be very iffy, unless global warming helps us (we were listed as z7a when I checked 25 yr ago, we now are 8b ... might be grom zonr lines redrawn, but I wonder?)

Most growers here mulch Hedychium to help them more reliably survive winters. I've even read to grow them in fern beds so thst the fronds drip water away and reduce the chance of rotting. To me that says mulching with branches to drip away and adequate soil drainage.

When researching, UK sites help us cool weather folks for ideas and HI, FL, CA, SC sites often mislead us PNW folks. England has a climate more like ours.

I'm told to select plants that want to bloom in early to mid July. If sales ads indicate August or September, they typically don't bloom in time up north. The leaves look great ... but you mentioned Fragrance.

H. coccineum looks and grow great here but are not fragrant. Their hybrids can be. H.'Tara' a likely hybrid is perhaps the best large flowered cool climate flowering ginger yet. It has some fragrance too.

Suggestion: use a Brugmansia in a tub for summer tropical fragrance (see photo of our B 'Little Angel -- compact bush, same huge flower and night fragrance). Take cuttings or bring the tub out of harms way in the winter.

Grow Canna for tropical visual impact (see photo C. Tropicanna = Durban = Phason).

Annual White Stock and Nicotinia alata (see photo) are sure ways to get long season fragrance into the plan ... and white color for "moonlight garden" effects too.

AND let's share northern climate Hedychium results from our tests to secure mutual success in the future!

I have Hedychium 'Elizabeth' and 'Dr Moy' in testing now. They are mulched and I hope surviving 22 F night temps over the last week or two.

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Good news! Found a great place to compare Hedychium varieties. And it has just the right website title for what you're about to experience.

http://plantlust.com/plant_index/Hedychium

Be wary of applying the blooming potential info there for NY gardens. UK growing experience comparing them might better apply.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Hedychium-in-the-UK-/10000000002160521/g.html

For instance 'Anne Bishop' is VERY tempting over 'Tara' due to fragrance intensity. But the concern words from general lists elsewhere are "Hawaiian Hybrid", when comments are only from warm climate sources, and when there's no mention of "early blooming". In the UK, Anne it is listed for "Hothouse only". It doesn't bloom in time in their cooler climate.

On the UK list, suggest focus on plants in the 'success in any UK garden' or 'protected garden' sections. (If you are reading this and live in a warm subtropical or tropical area, enjoy the entire list ... while we drool.)

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago

As far as I can tell from the internet, for a large flowered Hedychium,'Tara' is considered among the most reliable cool climate bloomers worldwide. Below are example comments for North America. And note the comparison inferences about other varieties.

Glossler Farms OR

"Probably the only ginger (the spice) that blooms early enough to actually flower in our garden. Many of the hedychium species we've tried will bloom for 2 minutes in November and will be puny at that. H. 'Tara' has beautiful light orange flowers in late august-September. The plants are upright with narrow leaves. This perennial can make a strking plant for the tropical look."

Dancing Oaks OR

"The most reliable blooming ginger for our garden. Wide green leaves on sturdy stems proudly bear tangerine orange flowers with delicious fragrance. 4' t x 2' w * "

* Note: warm climate (HI, FL, SC, NC) growers list 'Tara' at 6' - 8', likely due to the climate advantage for subtropicals. Hedychium must grow large = tall enough before it flowers.

Phoenix Perennials BC Canada

"In mid-late August 'Tara' offers dramatic large firey orange and fragrant flower clusters. The most reliable bloomer for the West Coast climate and indispensable as a subtropical accent in the perennial border. Tropical-looking foliage provides interest all season long. Mulch with fallen leaves in winter. In colder regions grow in a pot or store in dry peat moss and keep above zero."

Plant Delights NC says this

"Hedychium 'Tara', a selection of the high mountain Himalayan species Hedychium gardnerianum, is a good performer in the upper South as well as the Pacific Northwest. Hedychium 'Tara' is one of only a few ginger lilies to be awarded the Royal Horticulture Society Award of Garden Merit for outstanding garden value. Hedychium 'Tara' emerges in late spring with 6' spikes of grey-green foliage that rockets skyward. In late summer, the vigorous clumps are topped with lightly fragrant, 16" bottlebrush spikes of bright orange flowers...stunning!"

On fragrance of 'Tara' most say light, not strong in cooler climates. A few say they didn't know it was fragrant until the brought it inside. Most say fragrant in late afternoon. Collectively these comments may suggest most fragrant when warm enough.

______

From this research, I suspect that NY gardeners, in z7a a zone colder than our z8a but with warmer summers, have a fighting chance with 'Tara'!

Mulch well for winter survival, plant in a protected full sun position, ideally against a south facing wall, where the heat collects. Watering will likely be necessary in hot weather to support sufficient growth and maturation in time (if not your soil might not be draining well enough and you risk tuber rotting). Fragrance might be light, unless it's a hot day.

Some Hedychium are said to be most fragrant in late afternoon ... when it's warmest? But I also have read a Bremerton, WA z8b grower blog "be sure to smell at night. It is strongest at 10 to midnight." If so, I wonder how many gardeners go to bed early and fail to discover their Hedychium is in fact very fragrant?

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago

Having said all the above for outside gardeners, it kooks like you can have FABULOUS success with the highly fragrant White Butterfly Ginger Hedychium coronarium, outside in NY and other cool climates, if one just overwinter it right inside.

ENJOY http://tropicalsinzone7.blogspot.com/2016/10/butterfly-ginger-hedychium-coronarium.html?m=1

Very nice info there and the fragrance description makes one want to try to succeed in doing it.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz