Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayasri_narayanamoorthy7

Rose of sharon not setting buds

purplebird
7 years ago

I planted 3 violet satin rose of sharons last year. When I got them from the nursery they all had buds in them - they opened out and bloomed. By the end of last year it was about 2 ft high.

Last fall, my landscaper decided to prune it to about a little less than a foot. This year the shrubs leafed out well and only one of them is setting buds, that too a handful of them. The other two have 0 buds so far.

Can I do anything to get them to bud? 2 of them are in full sun and third one gets about 3 hours sun total. I am in zone 6A MA.

Comments (3)

• plf333
    7 years ago

If the gardener pruned them at the wrong time he might've pruned off the branches that would've bloomed

• wally_1936
    7 years ago

Just wait they decide to bloom when they are ready, feeding them will not hurt. Right now I have 5 different ones 2 doubles and 3 singles and they bloom when they get ready. The rains we have been getting lately have kicked them up and they are blooming once again. My single purple seems to bloom all summer long. I lived in West Virginia for a year and they are even hardy there.

• CindyZ4b
    7 years ago

my rose of sharon bloomed today!! i fed it in july. lots of buds. im z4.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County