Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nat4b

Wednesday Flowers

nat4b
7 years ago

Disappointed - looked at my pics on my tablet and the colors were so different. Faded and dull, especially those dark ones, purples and reds. I guess my camera is compatible with my (old) computer monitor because they look just like what I see in the garden (when I take color accurate pics ;))

Anyway, I have all my lates (except one noid) blooming already, and it's just mid-July :o

Carnival in Brazil - one of the first flowers

Cosmic Struggle

Man of Sorrows

Tatiana

Cat Dancer

Ruffled Lemon Piping

Zuni Thunderbird - need to move (but where? :D) I usually miss it in its current spot (but not today!)

Monstrous clump of Light of the World (somehow it doesn't look as big in pic)

And a close-up, love its morning colors

Christopher Moody

More in comments. TFL!

Comments (15)

• nat4b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Iowa Summer Evening

Swirling Water

FFO Sweet Sugar Candy

Final Touch also had its first flower open today

Seedling I liked last year and this year too, FFOx3

It's Russian Destiny x Stranger in a Strange Land. RuD started today but unreachable, I'll post SIASL below. Here's a sibling, first year blooming, I'm undecided

SIASL (Stranger in a Strange Land - that's too long lol), not quite color accurate

I have so many I'd like to post as most of them looked so nice this morning but better stop.

Oh! Anybody knows what this bug is? Thought it was a japanese beetle at first but it's not

TFL!

• celeste/NH
    7 years ago

That seedling right after Sweet Sugar Candy....wow! I love that one. Christopher Moody looks sensational and of course, that Light of the World clump is Out of this World!

nat4b thanked celeste/NH
  • jkayd_il5
    7 years ago

Your Light of the World clump is beautiful. I usually like the individual shots best but the clump is really nice.

nat4b thanked jkayd_il5
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    7 years ago

Cosmic Struggle is my favorite today. I love your clump of Light of the World, awesome! Your seedlings are wonderful, hope they are all keepers! Christopher Moody is lovely, is the white on this one really white or more ivory?

Sherry

nat4b thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Goes to show you about different regions. In my part of the country June Bugs are brown beetles. The Green beetles we have are otherwise known as Fig beetles, but they are much larger then a June Bug. I think what you have may be an Iridescent Beetle which is common up in the more northern states. But I'm no expert and Green June Bug is a good name for them too. I'll post a link on the Iridescent Beetle below........Taking off my nerd glasses now in order to tell you how beautiful your daylilies are. I always like looking at Cat Dancer. It's rounded form and pattern are so appealing...Cosmic Struggle, with it's velvet coat on, is a rich looking purple......Your clump shot is a pretty thing. I really like the morning look of Light of the World. I could go on, but let's just say they are all good ones..........Maryl

Green June Bug

nat4b thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • lilykate7a
    7 years ago

Light of the World lived up to its name in that clump. So pretty!! Cosmic Struggle looks royal and Christopher Moody is so striking. Seedlings are looking good too!

nat4b thanked lilykate7a
  • mantis__oh
    7 years ago

Is this a new camera? The pictures seem quite accurate, with the exception of bluing on the purples. Sometimes, it is very difficult to get purples completely accurate. For me, it often takes a cloudy break in mid-morning. I don't know how many purple pics I've trashed. Light of the World is a good grower and is blooming well here this year too.

nat4b thanked mantis__oh
  • nat4b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone!

Debra, lol at psycho circus, oh those different screens.. Yes of course SIASL is not that blue, I took several pics and they were all wrong.

Thanks, ladies, for the ID of the beetle, I'll read about them. It seems like we get new kind of bugs (and weeds) every year..

Sherry, Christopher Moody is ivory.

Mantis, no, not new, the same camera. It does have a problem with purples, but many cameras do, mine also doesn't like pale oranges for some reason :)

I almost lost Light of the World after its first winter here, moved it to another spot and haven't touched since.

• shive
    7 years ago

Looking at these again and noticed the triplets on the first seedliing. I do like that one a lot!

Debra

nat4b thanked shive
  • Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    7 years ago

My favorites of the group are Cosmic Struggle, Christopher Moody and SIASL. How does Cosmic Struggle perform for you? It's on my wish list, so I'm wondering. I just got SIASL last year, hasn't bloomed for me yet. I love your first seedling - the colors look very striking.

nat4b thanked Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
  • nat4b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh thanks, Debra! It's an unusual color for me, plainer than pollen parent but it's ok :)

Thanks Laura! Cosmic Struggle has quite a bit of splotchy blooms this year but otherwise ok. Good amount of buds it seems like but I haven't counted. I think it has a rebloom scape coming up. Hope your SIASL opens well for you, mine hangs up very often, but it's a really pretty bloom when it opens well.

• Julia WV (6b)
    7 years ago

I like them all. Light Of The World just started blooming here today and I can always expect a lovely clump of blooms. A keeper here. I've always admired Cat Dancer but never got it. Maybe next year if things get back to a more normal season.

• tarheelgirl_7b
    7 years ago

Great group of blooms! Light of the World is very pretty. I also really like Cat Dancer, Christopher Moody (been thinking of adding that one, SIASL, and your first seedling.

Lori

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Light of the World is a wonderful clump! Mine had its 2nd bloom year in my garden, it hasn't multiplied much, but lots of buds & perfect blooms, plus it is blooming now on a rebloom scape. Can't wait til it clumps up, especially after seeing yours. I really like that 1st seedling, definitely a keeper! Christopher Moody sure looks nice too. Humm, what I've always called a June bug is much bigger, broader & green rather than iridescent looking. Well, I guess some do have kind of a golden tone. Pause-had to look them up & I'm seeing mostly brown beetles being called June bugs. Here is my June bugs http://organicgardensite.com/bugs-harmful/june-bugs/