Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 115 - how do you store knives? pictures please

beachem
7 years ago

We've stored our knives on butcher block stand that sits on the counter. It just added to the clutter. Pros - easy to access. Cons - massive clutter and hard to clean the blocks.

This time, I'm doing knife blocks in the drawer. Since the kitchen is not done, I can't share any pictures.

Pros - easy reach with drawer opening at prep area. Cleaning of blocks involve spraying water thru the open slots. Cons - not sure yet.

To help others in planning, can you share how you store your knives and what the pros and cons are. I know there are different ways like under the upper cabs.

Comments (44)

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

Mine are just in the bin in a drawer. I remove and vacuum occasionally (no idea how, but crumbs find a way!), and throw the bin in the dishwasher occasinally. It's nothing fancy- I think it was a dollar store thing I used in the classroom for awhile, now it holds all but 1 of my knives (which is too big).

beachem thanked Renee Texas
  • nhbaskets
    7 years ago

Mine are in a drawer in the island in blocks I got at W-S. Had Wood Hollow dividers built to accommodate these. I've had them in a countertop block before but now chose not to give up the counter space.

beachem thanked nhbaskets
  • brdrl
    7 years ago

I like this block by Bodum much better than the wood style. The insert is removable and dishwasher safe. I keep it next to the stove unless I am doing a lot of prep work and/or have a helper then I move it to the island.

beachem thanked brdrl
  • Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

They were in a knife block on the counter that took up far too much room but I finally got to go to Ikea in May and I picked up this drawer insert.

I had been planning on building one for two years but this was only 25 and I could finally check that off the list so I did! Still need to build dividers for the other half of the drawer for the other tools though.

Also picked up this white one for the silverware drawer and my steak knives go in it.

The only "con" is that the kids can easily reach the knives. They can't really reach the steak knives but they can reach the prep knives, they know not to mess with them though.

beachem thanked Texas_Gem
  • homechef59
    7 years ago

I've got a lot of knives. Rev-a-shelf knife liner. Purchased at Amazon.com Husband ripped it down to proper size with his table saw.

beachem thanked homechef59
  • Errant_gw
    7 years ago

Mine hang on the side of a cabinet. I did buy a 14 slot Wüsthof drawer insert, but haven't moved my knives to it. I'm used to having them right there within reach.

beachem thanked Errant_gw
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

For a few years, I had them on a magnetic strip near my stove. When children came along, they went in a knife block where they have stayed until children have become middle aged! It takes up a LOT of counter space! I've never considered something else, but that Rev-a-Shelf knife liner looks VERY tempting! I need to go look at my drawers!

beachem thanked Anglophilia
  • Debbie B.
    7 years ago

Like many of you, for years I had the butcher block knife set on the countertop. I always hated how much real estate it took up, but loved the accessibility. Now I'm really into this minimalism thing, so I've changed.

I don't have, or need, a lot of knives. I chop veggies every day. Sometimes I dice onions or garlic. Sometimes I slice meat. That's about it, 90% of the time.

"They" say that 99% of us really only need three knives: 8" chef's knife, 10" bread knife (serrated knife), and 6" paring knife. BUT this is the Kitchen Forum! I know that for the TKO, three knives would never cut it (pun most definitely intended)! :-)

I considered one of those magnetic strips that go on the wall that you "stick" your knives to, but didn't want stuff cluttering the walls. Pros would be accessibility and freeing up counter space. Cons might be wall looking cluttered and grease spatter possibly getting on them.

Right now, my knives are in the top drawer right next to the range; this drawer is designated for "all things sharp." Please excuse its current state: my kitchen is being painted, and so there's some random stuff in here.

The three colored knives are Jamie Oliver. I got them on Amazin. They say, "Chop," "Slice," and "Dice," and I use these by far the most often. The only thing I don't like is that the chef's and serrated knives are not full size. So, as you can see, I also have a regular 8" chef's and 10" serrated. I also have a second paring knife because sometimes my daughter and I are slicing and dicing at the same time. And I have a boning knife. The 8" chef's knife is arguably the most useful and versatile knife in the kitchen. If you, for reasons I can't imagine, could only have one knife, that's the one I'd go with.

If I find, after 2-3 months that I almost never use anything but the Jamie Oliver knives, I'll donate those others, except the second paring knife. That works for me. I cook every day, but I cook simple things. Many of you are amazing cooks and legitimately need a lot more knives than I.

I do plan to get some sort of organizer for this drawer; it just hasn't happened yet.

As far as steak knives go, I have 8 IKEA steak knives I got on Amazon. I love them! They weren't expensive, but they are sharp and feel good in the hand. I can get 6 into the space in the organizer in the flatware drawer. The other 2 I just throw in with the dinner knives.

The cons of this organizer: just a tad too big for the drawer; can't fit all 8 steak knives in the slot. Pros: super easy to wash in the dishwasher, and it was here when I bought the house, so it was free. :-)

I don't have kids, so I don't worry about accessibility. I mean, I do have kids, but they're in their 30's, so if they come over and poke themselves with a knife, it's their own dang fault! Hahaha!

beachem thanked Debbie B.
  • Debbie B.
    7 years ago

Like many of you, for years I had the butcher block knife set on the countertop. I always hated how much real estate it took up, but loved the accessibility. Now I'm really into this minimalism thing, so I've changed.

I don't have, or need, a lot of knives. I chop veggies every day. Sometimes I dice onions or garlic. Sometimes I slice meat. That's about it, 90% of the time.

"They" say that 99% of us really only need three knives: 8" chef's knife, 10" bread knife (serrated knife), and 6" paring knife. BUT this is the Kitchen Forum! I know that for the TKO, three knives would never cut it (pun most definitely intended)! :-)

I considered one of those magnetic strips that go on the wall that you "stick" your knives to, but didn't want stuff cluttering the walls. Pros would be accessibility and freeing up counter space. Cons might be wall looking cluttered and grease spatter possibly getting on them.

Right now, my knives are in the top drawer right next to the range; this drawer is designated for "all things sharp." Please excuse its current state: my kitchen is being painted, and so there's some random stuff in here.

The three colored knives are Jamie Oliver. I got them on Amazin. They say, "Chop," "Slice," and "Dice," and I use these by far the most often. The only thing I don't like is that the chef's and serrated knives are not full size. So, as you can see, I also have a regular 8" chef's and 10" serrated. I also have a second paring knife because sometimes my daughter and I are slicing and dicing at the same time. And I have a boning knife. The 8" chef's knife is arguably the most useful and versatile knife in the kitchen. If you, for reasons I can't imagine, could only have one knife, that's the one I'd go with.

If I find, after 2-3 months that I almost never use anything but the Jamie Oliver knives, I'll donate those others, except the second paring knife. That works for me. I cook every day, but I cook simple things. Many of you are amazing cooks and legitimately need a lot more knives than I.

I do plan to get some sort of organizer for this drawer; it just hasn't happened yet.

As far as steak knives go, I have 8 IKEA steak knives I got on Amazon. I love them! They weren't expensive, but they are sharp and feel good in the hand. I can get 6 into the space in the organizer in the flatware drawer. The other 2 I just throw in with the dinner knives.

The cons of this organizer: just a tad too big for the drawer; can't fit all 8 steak knives in the slot. Pros: super easy to wash in the dishwasher, and it was here when I bought the house, so it was free. :-)

I don't have kids, so I don't worry about accessibility. I mean, I do have kids, but they're in their 30's, so if they come over and poke themselves with a knife, it's their own dang fault! Hahaha!

• yeh_yeh
    7 years ago

I stored mine with a Wusthof knives block in a drawer. Surprisingly it fits all of my knives including my cleaver! P.S. I am still using the $7 yellow flatware set from Ikea almost 15 years ago, they just won't break!!

beachem thanked yeh_yeh
  • romy718
    7 years ago

I have 2. The first is in my prep area & that's the one I prefer.

beachem thanked romy718
  • Lisa
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just returned some of my knife holders to Ikea because they did not hold enough. I had bought a couple of the 6" wide bamboo containers and they only held 6 knives, which was annoying for so taking so much drawer space. The 15" bamboo container that is only 1/2 for knives and the other half is open (like in Texas_Gem's photo) is a little better and can hold a few more, so I kept that one.

I ended up going with the Ikea plastic knife holder for my other drawer where I wanted to keep knives. I ended up liking that one more, even though it is not as pretty as the bamboo container. I was able to put a lot of knives in there because I can use the full length of the insert.

As an aside, I had to return the bamboo silverware holder to Ikea also and go with the white plastic, because my silverware did not fit in the bamboo one. The plastic containers seem to waste less space, so I only have a few bamboo containers in my kitchen now.

@homechef69, I really like your insert. I may end up trying that one some day if I end up not liking my organization. I'm still figuring it out now.

beachem thanked Lisa
  • numbersjunkie
    7 years ago

I don't have a pic handy but opted for a magnetic strip for my most used knives. I can see what I'm grabbing. It's not in an area where children would be close by. I love it!

beachem thanked numbersjunkie
  • lharpie
    7 years ago

Don't have a pic handy but mine looks pretty much like yeh-yeh's. It's made from bamboo and I got it from amazon relatively inexpensively. I love that it stores a ton of knives in a small amount of space. I was impressed that my cleaver fits too! I like it so much better than the counter knife blocks - fits more knives in a smaller amount of space and doesn't clutter the counter up. I've had it for not quite a year...um...haven't tried cleaning it yet? Can't report back on that. There's a little area for the knife we use the most that has gotten damp and has just a wee bit of mold on it. It's just on top and could be easily sanded off. Maybe I'll get on that now!

beachem thanked lharpie
  • cluelessincolorado
    7 years ago

I have this one. No cons. Put shears in sharpening steel slot because I'm lazy and the local kitchen store sharpens my knives...

beachem thanked cluelessincolorado
  • AnnKH
    7 years ago

One of the goals of my kitchen remodel was to reduce clutter. I replaced two knife blocks with a knife drawer 3 years ago, and I love it!

beachem thanked AnnKH
  • nicole___
    7 years ago

It doesn't take up any drawer space...I thought about adding a top piece with a hinge....never got around to it.

beachem thanked nicole___
  • ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Romy...I had your second knife holder for about a month. It came with my Wood-mode cabinets. I can't remember exactly what the problem was but the knives somehow sat funky in the holder. I replaced it with a cheap one from Amazon.

I am surprised WM still uses that knife holder.

beachem thanked ILoveRed
  • romy718
    7 years ago

ILoveRed - you're right. My bigger knives (Chef's knife, etc) don't sit in it correctly. They tilt upwards. I have steak knives & a couple of bread knives in it. It also takes up a lot of space. Thanks - you've made me realize I need to replace it.

• yeonassky
    7 years ago

My knives are in a block in an upper cupboard. as are my daily use flatware. I have excess storage space so don't need that cupboard so it works well for us. I hated the crumbs when in a drawer and don't get that at all now. Sorry no pic. My kitchen is not photograph-able. It's not pretty at all. You'll just have to take my word for it...

beachem thanked yeonassky
  • friedajune
    7 years ago

I don't have a photo, but I have the 13-slot Henckels In-Drawer Knife Tray that CluelessinColorado posted above. I love it! It holds 6 knives plus a set of steak knives, plus a sharpening steel. I never liked the knife block on the counter - neither its looks, nor that it took up counter space.

I too pared down (sorry for the pun!) my knife collection to the essentials: chefs knife, boning knife, paring knife, long serrated knife, and a tomato-slicing knife (love that one). Previously I had a jumble of knives, some that were poor quality, or didn't feel good in my hand so never used.

The Henckels knife tray leaves a few inches of empty width in my drawer, and I use that space for a pizza wheel, meat pounder, ice cream scoop. I also keep there extra paring knives, and an extra chef's knife in protective plastic blade guards that you can buy online or at stores like Sur La Table. Those extra knives are for when people want to help me prep in the kitchen.

beachem thanked friedajune
  • scrappy25
    7 years ago

I havn't read all the responses but didn't see any pictures of what I use- a magnetic strip from Ikea under my upper cabinets, hidden by the light rail. Super convenient and easy to use. Only problem is that house guests never know where the knives are if I forget to tell them. Once they know they are all amazed at how convenient it is. The second picture shows how well hidden it is above the rice cooker.

I keep my most used knives there. The others are in an in-drawer holder like those pictured above. However, I found that I accessed the others perhaps twice a year, so that in-drawer holder and its knives are now in a toekick drawer that is also hidden to most eyes. Again, this really confuses my houseguests since they can't find any proper cutting knives if I have forgotten to tell them.

beachem thanked scrappy25
  • Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

lol. I love the idea of a magnetic strip, but I'd have to do it on the wall... it would freak me out reaching under the cabinet .. heh

R

• ILoveRed
    7 years ago

Scrappy...I love your dish shelves!

• lapsangtea
    7 years ago

Mine is also in drawer block, exactly like the first picture in this thread from nhbaskets. This works very well and might be the only thing in our house that always gets put back in exactly the right place! le SIGH.

One drawback, in my mind, is that we have nice wide drawers and this is on our long prep counter. Handy when you are the only one cooking. But if you have 2 or more people that cook, often you have to ask the prep cook to scoot out of the way while you open that wide drawer to get a knife. That doesn't happen in a counter top set up. Still, definitely the way I will do it again, I hate countertop clutter. :)

beachem thanked lapsangtea
  • oasisowner
    7 years ago

Knife block in drawer and a magnetic strip on the wall for cooking knives, right above my prep area.

beachem thanked oasisowner
  • cevamal
    7 years ago

Mine are in a drawer similar to nhbaskets'.

In the past I've used a knife block and magnetic strip and very much prefer the drawer.

beachem thanked cevamal
  • lorahv
    7 years ago

Have any of you used this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JIUV0LG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2HC1YWTA9TTFK

I am waffling about it. Currently I keep my most used knives on a magnetic strip, but I can't put anything in front of it (it's on the backsplash) and I keep whacking the cabinet with the knives pulling off/putting back.

beachem thanked lorahv
  • mgmum
    7 years ago

Mine are in a knife block on the counter. It doesn't take up nearly the space it would if I had them in a drawer. If I had them in a drawer I wouldn't have room for all my other cooking tools. I do not have super fancy expensive knives. I have one that is not part of the knife block set and it it as the drawer with the other cooking tools.

beachem thanked mgmum
  • User
    7 years ago

Our knives are stored point down in a "slit" cut into a strip of black walnut that is behind the slate countertop. The knives hang in the blank space behind the two large drawers in that piece of cabinet. We also keep mayo and frosting spreaders there as well as the large scraper

we use to clean the griddle.

beachem thanked User
  • Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

That is actually pretty darn cool...@lakeaffect

@lorahv - That looks like something that LOOKS cool.. but the novelty would wear off after a few months, imo. It is a great idea, but not different than a drawer. If I wanted them out in the open, I would probably opt for a wall magnet.

I am not saying it is not cool, saying I know me.. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.. lol.. then I would grow to think, "I could have used a drawer and not screwed into my cabinets".. heh

• practigal
    7 years ago

Knife block in drawer. Bread knife, two chefs knives, two serrated utility knives, one paring knife. Mine is a one cook kitchen so it's true I could easily give up one of the chefs knife and the paring knife. The only knife that I have been thinking about investing in is a boning knife...

beachem thanked practigal
  • jakkom
    7 years ago

lorahv, I have a very similar item that is exactly like what Amazon shows, but without the magnets - it's a cookbook/recipe holder. I've owned it for decades and absolutely love it.

I like to keep my counters as clear as possible....but I cook a lot, so there's always some things out. I did manage to get my paper towels off the counter by hanging a spring-loaded roll holder. Like the cookbook holder, it's screwed into the undersides of my upper cabs. Doesn't bother me at all to put holes in them, I confess [smile].

I used to have a Kapoosh, but it was a hassle to keep clean. I've switched to the Kuhn Rikon Knife Block since last year and am much happier with it. Take out the insert that holds the knives and it goes into the DW.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OH881WU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

beachem thanked jakkom
  • Kathy Yata
    7 years ago

lorahv, I had one of those years ago. It worked nicely but no chance to have strip under cabinet lighting which was desperately needed. Found a knife drawer insert at a thrift store and am much happier with that. Rehomed the undercabinet knife rack with no regrets.

beachem thanked Kathy Yata
  • Fori
    7 years ago

I have a few of the IKEA knife things like Lisa. I like knives. The IKEA ones are very flexible for drawer storage, even if you need two (plus a few open trays for the oddballs). Previously I had a swiveling undercabinet knife block which held the most used ones. This other method wasn't ideal. It limited knife storage due to having to remove the knives to use the pan....

beachem thanked Fori
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

I've cut knife slots right into countertops for clients.

• lharpie
    7 years ago

That sounds neat but I think having holes in my countertop would just lead to great messes. I'm going to stick with the drawer storage tactic.

• Fori
    7 years ago

I like them in a drawer because many have similar handles. I wanna see the blade!

• Debbie B.
    7 years ago

Joe, do you perchance have any pics of that? Where do the knives GO? I mean, I'd hate to be reaching back in my cabinet for a colander and stab myself, haha!

• User
    7 years ago

Debbie B., here are a few pics of our installation, I have no idea if this is what is normally done, it was DIY, but it works for us.

At counter level:

Bad pic, but you can see the tip of a couple of knives peeking down, they sit behind the cabinet, pic taken with drawer open.

Side view, you can see the strip of black walnut in which the slit is cut, that sits between the wall and countertop.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

"Joe, do you perchance have any pics of that? Where do the knives GO? I mean, I'd hate to be reaching back in my cabinet for a colander and stab myself, haha!"

No, I don't have pictures and it was a while ago, but the customer was a CKD and hired me often.

Yes, the location is critical.

• yeonassky
    7 years ago

They do have clear acrylic knife blocks and wood ones with a plastic cover so you can see the knife.

I would put a clear plastic protective shield in front of the knives blades in the cupboard if they were in my counter. I'd make sure it was long enough to accommodate the longest knife. I'd cut myself for sure.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/366058275935263441/

• javiwa
    7 years ago

As our reno progressed (in limbo stage right now, however), DH and I had been working our way around the kitchen, DIYing/planning the various drawer dividers. This is one of our potential knife drawers/areas for the moment:

I originally slotted the left side for longer prep tools, and was going to set up the drawer beneath it for knives -- DH would DIY a drawer block, as soon as I spec'ed out a design. As much as all those knife blocks keep everything so neat and tidy, they take up too much space. (And, ditto Fori: we like/need to see our blades.) And because we're upgrading our knife collection baby steps at a time, I don't really know what size block I'll eventually need.

(Just bought these terrific Victorinox bread, carving and boning knives from CutleryNMore for really good prices, if you don't mind the white handles. OK, we didn't need the boning knife, but the extra $9.99 got me free shipping. @practigal: check it out.) The original packaging is perfectly fine until we can decide either to purchase 'official' sheaths/shields (so we can continue to toss the knives into the drawers) or go with the Ikea knife holder inserts (thanks for the tip -- will need to check that out). Unaccounted for in the pic, as they're still sitting in the soon-to-be ditched countertop block: 8" chef's, paring and utility knives.