Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

August 2016 blooms

I will start August blooms thread...have only ever-blooming Euphorbia to post - pls. post any of you blooming succulents:

Comments (106)

• tanpexoctics Willis
    7 years ago

Rina

yeah that Gonolobus is really got the flower buds, I'm hoping I have a female plant out of my 3 . so I can get some seeds .the flowers have dead smell to them haha. look nice though.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked tanpexoctics Willis
  • Lars
    7 years ago

Propeller plant update - not quite yet at full color.

Close-up with firestick plant, possibly blooming, or maybe just making buds.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Lars
  • notolover
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Leslie--There are 2 blooming 'Pink Devil's', if you like I can send you one. I have a few other plants I could send along with it. Let me know.

Hoovb--that Aloe is an eye-popper, makes my measly bloom feel very inadequate. :-) The hummers in my yard would lose their minds.

• aloebot
    7 years ago

Aztec Lilly, Aloe armatissima

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked aloebot
  • Mary
    7 years ago

So excited to see all of the lovely blooms, and thrilled to share my second bloom of my short cacti & succulent parenthood! I've been wanting to get on here for a week now, but with my little starting kindergarten (insert emotional breakdown) I have been busy preparing her(myself) for school (trying to figure out if I could justify keeping her home just one more year;))...Anyway during the last few months one of my lifesavers has been trying to bloom. I would get so excited and then the cats would knock things over and the bud would fall to the ground. After securing the perimeter I finally got one gorgeous bloom!!! Even though it has stormed every single day here since the end of June, and for the past week the rain has been almost non stop. Succulents are depressed but rain frogs are super happy! I love sharing with you guys because of the generosity shown to myself and numerous others on this forum! I like to let y'all know you supported me when I needed it, and gave me the ability to enjoy something that otherwise might have been avoided in my life due to lack of knowledge. I had no idea I would enjoy succulents so much. I can stare/study them for hours! So it's more than a hobby for myself and my daughter who enjoys them just as much, she even swiped "two lips" into her bedroom window! Anyway I know there's a lot of people who have received advice from you all, and have happy succulents thanks to you too! Quite a few of you Rina, Eww, Harry I spotted sharing August blooms (: and Rina you are so kind and thoughtful! Also, wanted to mention I've missed the forum, and once I get past the whole kindergarten thing, I'll be visiting more often! I know y'all are thrilled to read more of my rambling ;-) So back to the point here's my -I'm not good at scientific names- lifesaver bloom! Forgive the awkward armpit shot I was scared to move her...

Many healthy happy blooms to all!! Sincerely Mary

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Mary
  • coldeuphorb
    7 years ago

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked coldeuphorb
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mary

Thank you for your kind words...I am sure your collection will keep expanding, and great that your daughter likes plants too. My many good memories are of my mom tending to her great looking houseplants :) - many, at the time, very unusual and hard to get (at least for us).

coldeuphorb

photos 2&4 - are they growing on the stem?

Is #1 Euphorbia of some kind?

• LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

Such amazing pictures!!! Noto -- send me a message so I can send you postage and my address. (Can't see how to message you directly.)

• garrett222
    7 years ago

Crassula perforata

euphorbia milii variegata

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked garrett222
  • notolover
    7 years ago

Group shot:

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked notolover
  • Royals fan-MO6a
    7 years ago

Beautiful!

• coldeuphorb
    7 years ago

Rina_ontario - Well 2 & 4 are grafted Lophophoras. So the stem is another kind of cactus.

#1 is a Euphorbia bubalina I grew from seed. I picked it up today and was surprised how tall it got. It is not so interesting to watch grow, you don't really notice it getting taller. But picking it up I realized how big it was! It's also cool that the flowers grow on such long stems, and then when the flowers die the stems just turn brown and stay. Kinda cool!

If anyone knows what #3 is I'd appreciate it! I stole it off a cliff in California. NO idea.

Here are some more from today, the bubalina's center flower is a seed pod now.

E. bubalina

E. geroldhii

Euphorbia something something, can't remember, would have to look at the tag :D

• LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

colde - #3 might be an Ice Plant - Delosperma of some variety

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

colde, Thank you, I though it is grafted but didn't expect such 'skinny' rootstock (is it perskiopsis?). Looks like a lollipop :)

I also thought of #3 as ice plant.

Nice euphorbias!

• coldeuphorb
    7 years ago

@rina, yeah it's perskiopsis. I have some grafted on pachanoi as well. I grew a bunch from seed and grafted them myself. perskiopsis is nice but it tends to get weak and die on me for some reason. I have a lot of pachanoi at this point, so I might start harvesting it for grafting stock.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked coldeuphorb
  • coldeuphorb
    7 years ago

Okay I figured out that it's a cross of cylindrifolia and dideroides.

• notolover
    7 years ago

Sunday:

Finally caught my Notocactus ottonis v vencluianus in bloom because it's a day bloomer and I'm at work. Instead of yellow this variation has gold/orange flowers. The flowers are only about 1/2" wide. It's one of my treasures.

This mornings group shot--the 2 bottom flowers are in a vase.

• Lars
    7 years ago

Here's a better photo of my Euphorbia Tirucalli

It is has been difficult for me to photograph these flowers, as the camera does not want not focus on them, since they are so small.

I think this is a succulent also, but I do not know what it is called:

I bought it at a plant sale at the county arboretum, and the seller did not have it labelled.

I cannot identify this one either - I bought it at the same sale!

It spreads quite vigorously, like a spider plant, but is unrelated. It may not be a succulent, but it has fleshy leaves that last for years.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lars

Is the one with caudex and pink flower adenium? (not sure, I don't have any).

Great gasteria behind it.

And is there a chance the last plant may be some kind of kalanchoe? - really just guessing, only 'cause the blooms look similar to a pic mfyss posted some time ago (I don't think their leaves would last for so long...)

Looking at those flowers: are there 4 petals or more?

• coldeuphorb
    7 years ago

Holy crap tirucali flowers. I don't even think about that. I have a 6 foot one, I hope if flowers sometime

• garrett222
    7 years ago

Lars, that looks like a kalanchoe synsepala in need of more light.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Garrett

Are you referring to his last photo? (I was wondering if it could be some kind of kalanchoe...)

• garrett222
    7 years ago

yep

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked garrett222
  • nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

Adromishcus marianiae Hallii

Close up of flower

• aloebot
    7 years ago

Lars & Coldeuphorb I think that the plant you see as a E. tirucali is actually an epiphytic cactus. E tirucali flowers are the standard yellow green small flowers.

• Lars
    7 years ago

I'm pretty sure it is an E Tricucalli - check this page - it also shows it in bloom. I have lots of epiphytic cactus, and it does not resemble them.

Thanks for the ID on the kalanchoe - here are some better photos of the flower. I had to put a cushion behind the flowers, but they really are a shade of pink to almost white:

I have another one in full sun
    and it folds up its leaves, as if to protect it from too much sun.

The plant with the bulbous root and pink flower probably is an adenium, but I can't be sure.

• notolover
    7 years ago

That plant is very interesting--it kind of reminds me of "Little Shop of Horrors". I think it's the shape :-)

• mfyss
    7 years ago

The photos of K. synsepala in flower are great. This K. is unique, in the genus, for the development of stolons with young plants, sometimes resulting in a tangle of plants.

I am surprised at the flowers as they seem really early. Kalanchoe flower in response to a series of shortening days of sunlight and there have been relatively few so far (less than a month). Anyone else have Kalanchoe in bloom?

• Anton Gallovits (Cape Town 10a, SA)
    7 years ago

@mfyss. I got
    a Kalanchoe
    pumila starting to show her small pink flowers. We
    are one month before Spring starts here in South Africa. Will post a pic
    on the weekend :-)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yale, I am glad you saw the post. I asked about this plant on your thread about k. flowering.

• mfyss
    7 years ago

Any information from S. Africa about Kalanchoe is always a treat. Is the K. pumila a late bloomer? We are getting ready for fall when our Kalanchoe will begin blooming, and assume that your K. will be finishing off their blooming, but assumptions may be way wrong. We used to get regular help from Maddy (Lehmann) when she was very active with Kalanchoe in S. Africa. Thanks, Anton for your note and let us know how the flowering is proceeding.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Ceropegia woodii

Ceropegia dimorpha

Pagan

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Pagan
  • notolover
    7 years ago

That looks like a flower from outer space--very different and interesting.

7 years ago

K pumila. This is the second year this lady is with me. Last year she flowered after November and ended in January. This year she is premature. Those small pink flowers opened two weeks ago :)

As you can see her leaves are all over the place. I just left her out there in the patio and let it be free but always give her water when needed. Average sunlight from 8am-4pm in winter and temperature of 18 degrees Celsius.

7 years ago

This small cactus got small yellow flowers.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Anton Gallovits (Cape Town 10a, SA)
  • hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

Euphorbia grandicornis, maybe, Anton? 8,000+ Euphorbia species, I can't remember 1% of them.

Yucca 'Bright Star' surprised with another flower stalk. Wasn't expecting it.

The hummingbird fights over 'Cynthia Gitty' are constant. There is plenty for all, why do they battle?

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • Ingrida (São Paulo/Brazil)
    7 years ago

Saw at plant shop today.

• notolover
    7 years ago

Hoovb--you've given me a reason to grow Yucca. I didn't think about the hummers liking it. I had one zooming me today. It was trying to get something from the few aloe flowers and it may have been telling me the feeder was running low :-) I saw a special on hummingbirds and they are very territorial, I don't like to see it, though.

Ingrida--now I know why people grow Euphorbias--I never saw one in bloom. I love the way it flowers.

I

• Lars
    7 years ago

This flower opened yesterday, but the plant mostly blooms in April. I have buds on another epi that normally blooms in April/May.
    Update on the Propeller plant (Crassula falcata) showing the flowers in a deeper red color than earlier in the month.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    7 years ago

Lars, I love that Propeller Plant! Do you know if it hates high humidity?

I tried to grow this plant twice and they both rotted away. I am smarter now and have figured out what type of potting mix works best in my area (full gritty for me). Maybe I'll give it another try!

• LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

Crenda, mine is struggling on my coast, but it's hanging tough. It isn't in the ideal gritty mix - it's in my earlier attempts, mainly cs soil and perlite. My pumice order should be here tomorrow and it's on the list for transplanting.

And Lars - that's an AMAZING epi!!! :)

• aloebot
    7 years ago

Ceraria pygmaea, Pereskea sp. with camouflage guest, late Opuntia, Mestoklema tuberosum, Dioon edule cone (well it's a reproductive organ).

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked aloebot
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    7 years ago

My Echeveria harmsii has a flower. It has been this way for about a week, so I don't know if it opens further.

Aloe 'Firebird' is a little droopy, but the tangerine colored flowers are still great.

And I have another Yucca bloom!

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

I couldn't pass up this red velvet echeveria at Safeway today:)

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

Thanks hoovb zone 9 sunset 23 for the ID. :-)

Earlier this month, I went to the forest for a walk, and this little beauty followed me home. :-o

Note: I don't have an ID, but I think she might belong to the "ice plants" family (Aizoaceae or Ficoidacea) or I might be totally wrong :p

As the month comes to an end, the little fellow is showing her true beautiful colours.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Anton Gallovits (Cape Town 10a, SA)
  • Ingrida (São Paulo/Brazil)
    7 years ago

HAPPY ! :) I love this color :)

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Ingrida (São Paulo/Brazil)
  • notolover
    7 years ago

Ingrida--lovely shade of pink!

• notolover
    7 years ago

Group shot for today

I wasn't the only one in heaven this morning:

Thanks to the person that said to avoid Bayer Tree and Shrub because of the bees--now I can thoroughly enjoy them with zero guilt :-)

• Ben was 10a/26, now 7a/34
    7 years ago

Stapelianthus decaryi

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Ben was 10a/26, now 7a/34
  • Lars
    7 years ago

Love the Stapelianthus - am just now starting to grow some!

Here are my end of the month blooms:

Adenium with two new flowers and many more buds.
    Pitaya (dragon fruit), which I hope I pollinated successfully this time - photo taken at night.
    Unexpected epidendrum - this one blooms profusely in April-May, and so I was surprised to see this late bloom.