Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

Deer disfigured my weeping spruce - what to do?

karin_mt
7 years ago

Two winters ago our resident herd of mule deer ate all the lower branches off my weeping Norway spruce. This was very sad because it was an expensive and beloved plant. I haven't replaced in, in part due to the finances, but I also wanted to see if it could rebound in some way.

There is some new growth along the trunk, but honestly it looks pretty bad.

Should I:

- Replace it with a weeping white spruce? Does anyone know if deer are any less likely to eat that one? The white spruce is not as prickly as the Norway spruce, which seems like it might make it more appealing to deer. At $115, it's a bit of a gamble, but I do love the idea of the white spruce.

- Leave it and see if it will ever rebound? Or prune it in a way to encourage new growth?

- Move it somewhere else, prune it hard, and see if it makes new growth?

- Give up on the whole thing?

Thank you for whatever wisdom you can share!

Comments (9)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    7 years ago

I would just turn a blind eye for a few years and see how it does. They're a mess of a plant as it is and have shoots going out every which way so it's not like there's one specific shape you're going to be able to aim for or restore to. Just enjoy that it survived and like gg says make sure it's well protected.

I'm really guessing here, but if they ate a Norway spruce I don't think switching species will do you much good. Those must be some hungry deer!

You might want to consider staking a shoot higher in order to help the whole plant gain some height as it grows. I'm sure you know it's a weeper which won't gain height otherwise, but the added height might bring it out from among all the other perennials and also (maybe) bring it up out of deer buffet height? Now that's wishful thinking I'm sure. Good luck, and for the record I have plenty of far uglier plants growing here, in fact other than the sparse look I don't think it looks bad at all.

karin_mt thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • Embothrium
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

When I had this happen to a Korean fir I thought it was deer - until I realized it was rabbits. Did you actually see them biting these entire sections of hard, prickly spruce growth off? The deer in my area usually seem to focus on soft tips of deciduous trees and shrubs, although arborvitaes do get browsed heavily.

With the fir, once I thought about it the damage had clearly been done by rodents with their clipping teeth. Your picture looks similar.

Here there were a few cut branches left lying in place - as though the rest had been hauled away, perhaps to be used for bedding, rather than eaten. Browsing deer swallow the foliage as they go, in a nibbling fashion.

karin_mt thanked Embothrium
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

properly prune off the dead stubs .. to the branch collar ...

you might want to get a more stout stake... placement is proper.. cant tell what its tied with.. but i prefer all cotton clothes line ... and i would make a point of retying twice a year ... and that is why the big thick rope works ...

some nice growth this season .. but it is.. what it is ....

they work in tree time.. give it 5 years.. and report back.. lol ..

or.. if its irritating you.. just get rid of it...

ken

karin_mt thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

btw .. its a conifer.. which is a tree .. and i suppose all are perennials ... lol ..

no need to post anywhere else.. just info ... ken

karin_mt thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • karin_mt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Montana is home to extraordinary animals, including large hares, but I don't think even they could reach so far up this tree! I'm sure it's deer. We have tons of them and they eat/wreck a lot. I'm learning and adapting.

I'll clip off the stubs, reassess, and maybe stake it differently. I had intended to keep it going upward until it was too high for me to reach, and then let it trail back down. But I haven't attended to the staking since it got eaten. Ken, it's tied with foam-covered twist ties.

I might query the conifers forum to see if anyone has experience with deer and spruce. They do not touch our Colorado spruces, but they wiped out a Black Hills spruce. It would awesome to know their preferences before I spend money on these pricey (but lovely) plants.

Thank you for your wisdom!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

My sympathies, Karin! In addition to proper trimming as Ken suggested, I might give it a sort-of fence of 3 stakes and a light weight black netting that will disappear visually but discourage the deer. Or one thing that worked well for some hollies that were getting a lot of winter deer damage was a web of clear high test fishing line several feet away attached to stakes. I used the heaviest line I could find (70 lb I think) and had three layers high zigzagged around the hedge. It was something they couldn't see well and the zigzags a couple of layers deep made it difficult to judge landings, so they avoided it. Perhaps you can surround a couple of beds?

• karin_mt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Minor update - I cleaned up the dead limbs, and in doing so realized it is making a modest amount of new growth so maybe all is not lost. So I resisted buying an on-sale weeping white spruce, which had been tempting me.

Those are good suggestions Babs, I'll have to come up with a fencing plan for the winter. Although I learned my lesson with fishing line because the most common thing to get tripped up in it was me! Damn that stuff is invisible. After nearly busting my ass on it a few times, I wisened up and switched to a heavier weight bird netting.

I appreciate the suggestions and the encouragement!

• David Galvan
    2 years ago

I planted a Norway Spruce last fall and forgot to put any type of fencing around it. I knew better but forgot. My next door neighbor had there tree ruined by Deer Rubbing...they lost the tree. Well he did the same to my $220 Norway Spruce. Rubbed the entire top off about 12 " down. Looks like a bush now. Put a fence around it during fall season. Take off in the summer.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!