Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avt18

Bathroom Remodel: Ikea vanities?

avt18
7 years ago

HI! Anyone have or use Ikea bathroom vanities before? How are they, quality wise? I'm worried primarily about the countertop/sink and whether it's of a cheap quality - does it stain/scratch easily? is it something that can be reglazed/sealed later? What about the quality of the cabinet itself? anyone have any experience they can share?

thank you!!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I have used Godmorgon cabinets in many bathroom renos with and without the Ikea sinks and have never had a problem when the instructions were followed

avt18 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • User
    7 years ago

We used an Ikea kitchen cabinet in the bathroom (better height and we could semi customize to the space we had). They have, I believe, a very good warranty.

We used a black granite (cheap from some guy I found on CL....) so I can't speak to the sink, but my mom has had Godmorgon base and sink for years and she loves it.

avt18 thanked User
  • maryamartinez
    7 years ago
    I'm going to go against what seems to be conventional responses and say that I would never use an IKEA vanity in my bathroom. I have experience with quite a bit of IKEA furniture, and the best thing that can be said about it is it's inexpensive. Anything with drawers or doors that gets used regularly falls apart. If you have two people using it and you're careful, it could last, but if an entire family uses it on a daily basis, forget it. You get what you pay for.
  • maryamartinez
    7 years ago
    @patricia I'm glad you like your IKEA kitchens. My opinion of IKEA products IN GENERAL is not as glowing as yours. My opinion is that IKEA is affordable, and great for the short term, but doesn't hold up well. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck; who are you to say I can't say what I think? I have a few friends and neighbors who have had IKEA in their kitchens and haven't loved them. My kids have had tons of IKEA stuff over the years and almost all of it has been replaced because it fell apart. As I said, you get what you pay for. That's my opinion and I stand by it.
  • baileysr
    7 years ago
    I'd like to observe that a major factor in durability of IKEA stuff is the assembly. I've found that they are very sturdy and durable if they are assembled carefully and correctly, following all the instructions. If you rush through the assembly, then you'll end up with a shoddy piece. Of course they are fake wood look, so if you want a beautiful piece of walnut IKEA is not your place. But practical, sturdy, durable, and space efficient, yes!
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    IKEA has different price points of furniture. The godmorgan vanity collection is great, my current master bath has two wall hung and my last house had one on legs. I just remodeled the women's bathroom at my office with three of the wall hung vanities with a custom top.
  • User
    7 years ago

I agree that assembly is everything with Ikea....and some of their regular furniture is just college type furniture that's not expected to last > 5 years or so (although my daughter has had her sofa for 8 years and it's still perfect) ....

It really depends on the budget, I guess.

• avt18
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They do have a 10 yr. warranty on their bath vanities, if that means anything...

• oliviag55
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I put an Ikea sink and vanity in our office bath over ten years ago. Still looks great. Assembly is important, but not difficult. Also did a big fitted closet, and office shelving and desk. Ditto. Ten years, looks like new.

My kitchen is IKEA. I love the Blum hardware and the metal drawers. High quality, lower price vis their buying power. I'm a fan.

• Amyzing
    7 years ago

I agree - Ikea has varying levels of quality. We have 2 great Ikea pieces, 1 unexceptional piece, and 2 cheap pieces (tossed after 5 years).

• baileysr
    7 years ago
    Yeah assembly isn't hard. It's slow, with many steps, but not hard. Their instructions are meticulous and the holes are predrilled to the exact spots.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

The big thing is to follow the directions and don’t let someone tell you there is a better way to put them together there is not .

• User
    7 years ago
    I agree there is varying quality. We put two IKEA vanities in our old house for the kids bath. They still looked great nine years later. But the same style and brand are in our current rental house and have been there for more like twenty years and are trashed. So I'm not convinced they are a great forever item but it all depends on purpose, how often it will be used, and as many said how well it is put together initially.
  • averagedecorator
    7 years ago

My Ikea kitchen - no problem for the last 4 years and I love it. The Godmoron vanity through feels very flimsy and the interior dividers don't hold. I'd recommend spending a little extra on that and getting a solid one.

• rovirosae
    6 years ago

The assembly must be followed step by step, and you will get good results, Important !, The plumbing must be changed to European style, meaning, shortening the water valves and drain very close to the wall, or else your drawers will no close.

Have a plumber do this prior to installing the vanity.

• mosan
    5 years ago

Hi, I’m just getting into a bathroom remodel and have used some Ikea products in the past but not their vanities. I have heard the plumbing hardware must be changed. How difficult is this? Are the pieces needed available from a Home Depot or must they be special ordered or even individually modified by a plumer?

• mosan
    5 years ago

Another question - has anyone used Ikea kitchen cabinets for bathroom vanities? I know they are deeper but they offer better dimensions for my needs.

• ulisdone
    5 years ago

I have used ikea sektion shallow depth base cabinets for vanities, with a pipe chase in the back. So 15” cabinet, 4” chase with a 20” deep top. Cut down 25” end panels for the sides cover all the way to the wall.

I use a countertop mounted sink, so total height may be too much for some people, but I love not having to bend way over to use a sink, as do most taller folks.

• mosan
    5 years ago

Thanks for the input. I was considering a walnut countertop and likewise had considered a full side panel to cover the sides. I will have to do more research but think I might like using this

• mahnrut
    3 years ago

Could someone please tell me if a godmorgan vanity can be free standing using the legs. I only see pictures of them wall mounted with and without two front legs. I have tile where one would go and don't want to drill that to wall mount. Thanks

• acm
    3 years ago

they're open at the back, so I think they need to be attached to the wall.

• mahnrut
    3 years ago

Thanks. I should go to IKEA as I think they are open in Maryland now.

• mahnrut
    3 years ago

I see the Hemnes sink cabinet as they call them has integrated wooden legs at the front so the wall attachment will probably take a lower load. I just don't know what is behind the tiles with respect to bracing as it was done 30 years ago but still good tile.

• Jonathan F
    3 years ago

I wonder what drives the durability of some ikea products vs others? is it the difference between Hemnes Pine wood structure vs varying qualities of MDF?