Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josue_diaz75

A couple of my palms - zone 9b Fresno, CA

Hi, I don't post here often, but I do check in from time to time to read what you all post. I've been interested in palms and cycads for several years. I had a nice collection of common palms at my old place, and have had the chance to start with a clean slate at a new house we moved into three years ago. I though I'd share some pictures of what I have growing, given that I was in a picture-taking mood yesterday afternoon and the haziness from all the fires around us made for good afternoon lighting. Hope you enjoy!

Wodyetia burificata - 1 year in ground. This is probably my most marginal palm. It won't survive long term, but this south-facing wall gives it the best chance at short-term survival.

Chambeyronia macrocarpa - 3 year old from seed. It had it's first split leaf this year and seems to be picking up speed. So far, it's had two new leaves this year - the latest frond looks like adult foliage with the large segments along the petiole. These last two leaves also showed the first hints of red on this tree. I have it growing under a magnolia tree which gives it morning sun only and some filtered sun in the afternoon.

Phoenix reclinata - Planted this one out last year. It took a while to acclimate to full sun but seems to be doing ok now.

Phoenix rupicola - This is 1 of three I have. The others are smaller though. This one has been in the ground about 3 years and is picking up a lot of speed. It's quickly becoming my favorite palm.

Allagoptera arenaria - also a slow palm for me, but looking great in shade.

Parajuabea toralyii - I think. I'm can't remember if this was toralyii or cocoides... Maybe someone could tell from the picture, or perhaps it's too young to tell the difference.

As always, I am always growing new seedlings. I have a batch of beccariophoenix alfredii that have started germinating as well as some jubaeopsis caffra. Just yesterday I picked up about a hundred jubaea chilensis seeds from a fruiting adult at a park near my home. I have no space for them at my place, but there's something really addicting about growing palms that I'm sure many of you will relate to.

Comments (13)

• Josue (Zone 9b, Central, inland California)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Stan, thanks. That foxtail is protected by the overgrown grevilleas on either side. I'm hoping to get it to at least the roofline before I have to say goodbye.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

It might surprise and keep going. With that heat you have those cycads should explode in ground.

Didn't you have Magesty palms? I've seen on other boards photos of them growing in Bakersfield..trunking. Defoliated in cold winters...came right back with a new head of fronds in those long hot summers.

Bizmarckia should grow fantastic too.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I did Stan! I had one in Chowchilla at my previous place. This was out in the countryside so it was exposed to a lot of cold wind and frost in the winter (with overhead protection). Unfortunately after I moved, that palm was dug up and moved to a different spot in the yard. I drove by the other day and the majesty palm is barely hanging on with two spindly, green fronds. It was a beautiful palm with a bulging trunk that almost made it look like a spindle palm. I'll be trying some here in Fresno perhaps in the springtime after winter has come and gone.

I've seen several Bismarkias in Bakersfield. Bakersfield is just over Tejon pass from the Los Angeles basin and I've noticed that nurseries there tend to carry more of the exotic palms - perhaps because they have more access to deliveries from palm growers in LA, Orange, Ventura and San Diego counties. I've been meaning to make a trip to Golden Gate Palms in Richmond to see if they carry any 5 gallon Bismarks. You wouldn't happen to know would you?

Did you have a Howea forsteriana that was getting to a nice big size? I think I remember seeing posts about it a while back.

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have two Howeas One is 24 years old. Its a bit hard to photo graph- heres a photo I took of the Cordyline..and the Howea is next to it.

He must have them. The Dry Garden always seems to have one. And- HD WILL order them if you ask them. Hayward will. It wont be in that "book" of what they carry..but they don't list King palms either and they ordered the big one I have about 10 years ago now for me.

If I was in Fresno? toss out what others tell you..you can plant things that just might shock you because of the thermal energy they build up in a hot summer. I bet Plumeria under some cover is doable. Try Plumeria obtusa or Singapore Plumeria's (dwarf or colors like pink)..they grow FAST!. Palms? Too many too list you could try that most say "dont grow there". Cycads? Its a huge world for you in that heat. Recovery would be pretty fast there.

I wouldn't slow my my tropical collection there. Mangoes? why not..

Here's todays trunk pic-lol. From ground to tip of highest frond ,about 25'.

• Josue Diaz
    7 years ago

wow that's quite the Kentia! i have some seed-started plumeria that i will be trying outdoors or at least on my porch. I've been keeping an eye on a plumeria that one of my neighbors has growing beneath the eaves of his house. it went through our winter and so far is doing great. Is Obtusa more tolerant of cold?

And i do have a Keitt mango, but it's potted. I'd rather not take my chance with it lol.

I've seen pictures of the stuff you grow. You have quite the collection! One of these days I'll plan a trip out to the nurseries in Berkeley and maybe we can nerd out together lol.

I've started a lot of things from seed, some i think are better suited for coastal climates like yours. My 5-year-old-from-seed Doryanthes palmeri, for example, has two sunburned leaf to show for itself. It just can't seem to handle the intense heat very well.

• Josue Diaz
    7 years ago

As far as cycads go, I've got several encephalartos (kisambo, ferox, transvenosis, arenaria, natalensis...) Some are species and others are hybrids developed by Kevin of KW palms in Lake Elsinore. Also, a couple of Cycas revoluta x debaoensis and dioon spinulosum. The photo below is Dioon spinulosum. Phoenix reclinata behind it to the left, phoenix rupicola to the right and in the far, far back is a neighbor's massive phoenix canariensis.

7 years ago

First- nice Craftsman house. Second congrats on having a real yard to work on. I would get those little potted ones in the ground asap. Its the old saw..at first they creep (rooting in) then they leap.

The Dioon is going be a beauty..trunking and soaking in the heat. So is the revoluta hybrid. I've never seen that one..but other hybrids with debo look great.

Plumeria obtusa is supposed to be tender..but mine is out all year,kept most of its foliage..and when June got hot,it just exploded(by bay area standards) in growth- much more than any of my P.rubra's- it also branches much more. That further helps survive any winter limb loss,so far that's been none.. Sure it needs cover in the valley. But,keep the hard frost off of it and watch it grow in those 90'f+.

Try the dwarf ones with color..should be easier to protect and to keep at about 4' and covered in bloom for you.

Sure- stop on by. The "tour" is about 10 minutes!..I gave one to my cousin the other day-lol.

What's on the porch? Looks weepy and lush. That would be good on GW's Porches forum!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! I do wish the front yard was a little bigger, but I also do have a large back yard to play with so I guess it makes up for it!

I will be getting a lot of the cycads in the ground in the spring after winter has passed. We still have about two solid months of heat before we start getting cooler weather and possibly rain, but I think they'll do much better if put them in the ground at the beginning of the growing season.

The plant in the big blue pot is Ficus maclellandii. It was a sad-looking HD reject that I got at a discount. It's been living on my porch for 3 years now, picking up a lot of speed. I'm not sure how big it will get in that pot but I could definitely see it reached the vaulted ceiling on the porch in the near future.

• Josue Diaz
    7 years ago

This is the ficus

• Josue Diaz
    7 years ago

so I splurged. ... picked this bismarkia and two dypsis decipiens at the dry garden.

7 years ago

Ahhh...he had Decipiens?..I want one!..lol. At least I know cold wont get that one.

Well,years from now when old Stan is not internetting..you remind them that your big Decip. and Bizz were from my advice.

I want to be the expert that tells people they DO grow,not don't try. Where there is a will..lol...

ps. The other experts would also have told you that Ficus is far too tender for Fresno!

• Josue Diaz
    7 years ago

he has a few more Stan! $20