Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfgdesign

Hi I love the wood in the shower and would like to know what kind of wood is this and how one needs to do to k

:: roger's residence :: · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Juan Felipe Goldstein Design Co.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Nick are you the designer of this bath room?
  • PRO
    Nick Dellos Creations
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    No Juan I am just a middle-aged (not old as I put earlier) builder/cabinet maker who can recognize Teak from 20 paces. :)
  • PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It looks like t&g this planks is this custom made to be like this you think? thick and thin ....
  • PRO
    Nick Dellos Creations
    11 years ago
    You could definitely put a T&G edge on it with a router or shaper to help it hold itself in place. Also due to teak not taking glue well, since it is so waxy, a groove would help. But I would guess these are just S4S teak 4/4 material from a lumber yard, milled a bit in a cabinet shop to be finished. I don't see a groove on the end so it could be a hidden spline that stops near the ends.

I think the thickness variation is due to gluing a second piece on every other plank at the ends - just on the part that forms the shelving area. That would add both stability and design, without using double thick wood on the whole wall - which may be wasteful.

It is a very nice touch, and bold to put wood in a shower!
  • PRO
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you I want to put teak in my bath room, Clients are usually not so happy about the idea , but I can do it in my house !
  • PRO
    Nick Dellos Creations
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Its a great idea, and you may want to visit a few woodworking sites to gain insight on types of finishes to use that will help keep your maintenance to a minimum. Any small woodworking/cabinet shop should be able to mill the planks, but they may charge a small premium for teak, since it is a waxy wood.

If you machine sanded it - it would be perfectly flush on the front after gluing. They could glue it up and run it through a 48" sander (that is the max width I know of for sanding machines), but again the costs will go up due to teak. There are glues just for teak and marine applications.

Or for a more hand-finished look, it could be pre sanded and just glued and finished, with little edge issues touched up by hand.

All our ideas we like we can always use on our own houses!
  • spank64
    11 years ago
    if you look at designers comments it is IPE wood - i have usedit in my bathroom having seen this photo