Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soobie123

Echeveria Sparkle

Sue
7 years ago

Has anyone seen this before? I got the plant last weekend at Home Depot and it's amazing. However, I can't find anything at all about it online. It really is incredibly sparkly. I'm assuming care is the same as other Echeverias, but any insight is welcome.

Comments (38)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    7 years ago

Sprayed on glitter?

tj

• Sue
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well shoot. I hadn't even thought of that, even with the red and turquoise and purple haworthias sitting in the next tray over. I'll have to inspect more closely when I get home.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

My thoughts too TJ, you got in before me. Is this the latest abomination of Mother Nature?? I bet the new growths don't sparkle!

Gill

• mesembs
    7 years ago

Looks like spayed on sugar..... That would be pretty cool if it were real, but you can't have everything....

• Sue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well I dunno... The sparkles are found evenly across every surface, including way, way, way inside on the new growing center.

• hablu
    7 years ago

Put it outside in full rain and it will disappear.

Harry

• Anton Gallovits (Cape Town 10a, SA)
    7 years ago

Have you tasted it? I bet it tastes sweet like sugar.. but as suggested above take the full rain test and let us know please.

• breton2
    7 years ago

I think this is natural, I have seen pics of a species like this before, but cannot recall what it was. Also, Altmans ( the supplier) is not know to spray -paint or otherwise mess with their plants, to my knowledge ( other than gluing strawflowers to them)

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Hm. Could be a Doris Day dipped in something--that's one easy way to keep the stuff evenly distributed, rather than treating something smooth, like a Black Prince or something.

Or, they could be tiny glands like those found around the leaf edges of, say, Aeonium glandulosum. Squish one to see if there is liquid inside?

I'm going to hunt one down at the local BBS and give it a look. Oh but then I'll end up with a plant.

Pagan

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

I'm still on the side of it being sprayed on, and as I said above, I bet the new growths are clean.

Gill

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

Echeveria carnicolor has that kind of leaf texture. The surface of the leaves is papillose. Perhaps it is a hybrid of E. carnicolor with a fuzzy species such as pulvinata. See "The Genus Echeveria" by J. Pilbeam, page 72.

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

I just purchased the same plant today. I definitely don't think that the texture is fake having seen it in person and feeling it.

• Sue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, having watched the plant for a month now I know that the sparkles are real. They don't wash off, and the new growth has the same texture and sparkle. It's a very neat plant!

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Oh very cool! Have you tried propagating by leaf? I just pulled two off. Fingers crossed it works

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Also, have you found anyone else with this plant? I haven't found anything about it.

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Sorry to be asking so many questions, I'm so curious because it's very new. Has it changed color due to sun exposure? One more, do you treat it like every other succulent?

• Sue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I haven't tried propagating it, I've just been letting it do its thing. I haven't seen anything more about it online, either.

I did repot into a better mix after I brought it home. It's getting cold where I am, so all my succulents are inside now. I have this one under lights with all the rest and it seems to be doing fine. No color change.

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Okay thank you for the information :)

• theblackwebsite
    7 years ago

I have this also (also a recent find in Home Depot). The "sparkle" is definitely eye catching and natural. I too have not found any specific details but it seems normal succulent care applies (grainy, well draining soil, allow surface to dry before watering in summer, less water during winter). No direct afternoon sun that's for sure (South Texas). Burned mine in 1 afternoon. It will survive, but it will take a while to look as good as it should. My plan is to put it under shade cloth.

• theblackwebsite
    7 years ago

Sad to say this ended up being a complete dud. Slow death. Attempted/attempting to propagate some leaves. All have died, 2 are struggling and have roots but no new buds sprouting.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

What happened to 'sparkles'? Any left?

• Sue
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I still have mine. It looks a little rough now, because my plant sitter tried to "help" by watering all my succulents ("But they were so dry! They needed water!" Sigh.)

A bunch of the lower leaves fell off, but there are new side shoots starting from the stem.

It's still sparkly. I'll post a pic when I get home this evening.

• mesembs
    7 years ago

Ah, must be genetically modified. Just kidding, but still can't believe there isn't anything on the internet!

• gdinieontarioz5
    7 years ago

Breton says it is from Altmans? Email them?

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Oops a little late in joining but I thought mine was almost dead because I didn't know what was happing but it was only a bad case of sunburn. I've noticed that the new growth is fuzzy on mine and then later matures into the sparkly bead like forms

• theblackwebsite
    7 years ago

I emailed Altman's twice asking specifically about it. No responses.

• gdinieontarioz5
    7 years ago

Helpful people... :-(. Inquiring minds want to know. You can confirm it is from Altman? Then I can ask too. And maybe others?

• R
    7 years ago

These are utterly magical. Anybody with this hybrid with flowering pictures, if they can flower at all?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago

R, they all flower at some point.

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

I know mine is from altman plants. I haven't seen it flower yet

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

My echeveria sparkle's new grow is now fuzzy... maybe it changes with how it's cared for. I know the outer foilage looks bad, I almost killed it some time ago.

• gdinieontarioz5
    7 years ago

Looks to me that the sparkle is fake then... How are the plants others have?

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Oh no the sparkles definitely aren't fake, I think it's because I've put it through some accidental abuse. I've noticed that some of the furs turn into sparkles later.

• Tehya (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Mine rotted :( But I caught it on time and cut the top, it now has a root poking out! I'm so relieved because I thought it was a goner. The new growth is becoming more sparkly and hard again. There seems to be a certain type of care in order to keep its sparkles. I haven't quite gotten a hold of it yet

• Shawna (5a WI,USA)
    7 years ago

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to save and root it. Hope it does well for you.

• Flabbergasted 7070
    2 years ago

I also am years late but my succulent never had this before but I suddenly saw it today on some of the dead bits and rushed online to find out what's going

• jillieloza
    2 years ago

What?! Post pictures! I've still been looking for another Echeveria Sparkle for years now, ugh!