Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

What would you do with these two bathrooms?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Other than a sledge hammer --- or is that the only option, which realistically isn't in the budget.

Just lots of white paint? The pink bath may still be ok, but the one with that jacuzzi....

Comments (14)

• 7 years ago

BM China White

nosoccermom thanked eld6161
  • 7 years ago

You're replacing the mirror and lighting in the pink bathroom, right?

What are you doing about the jacuzzi? Keeping it? I can't imagine how one gets into it, though, without climbing over the faucet.

nosoccermom thanked bpath
  • 7 years ago

bpathome -- I'd imagine to the right of the faucet.... I can even do that, even with my bum knees, and my personal extra body length.

Assuming you are keeping the tile -- I'd go with a warm white, but not creamy. The lights are fine but I'm not crazy about the mirror. I rather like mirrors with frames. My immediate thought is a frame that goes with the lighting fixture. Smaller width, but tall enough to cover the ranges of heights any typical user of this room might have.

nosoccermom thanked artemis_ma
  • 7 years ago

The first one-repaint. Say, warm white. Or-the darkest color in that stone. I'd call it cocoa:) Or something. The right name is very very important I think..:)

The second one..sorry. One of these surfaces has to go. At least one. Some sunny day(c)

So, meanwhile I' d do the wall the color that resembles the most one of the surfaces-either the wall, or the tub surround. By repeating, you make it less visible. Easier to live with.

I'd also put there art (not heirloom quality though..something that can fall into that tub without breaking your heart), and other things. that make you happy.

Styling is an important tool. Style it until it forgets it needs a sledge hammer, lol.

nosoccermom thanked aprilneverends
  • 7 years ago

Thinking about buying the place for DD, who thinks it's ok.

But what a crazy renovation (done 2006). The part of the house where they ran out of money looks a lot better.

• 7 years ago

Call me crazy, but I'd go dark for the first bathroom. Possibly black on some walls (mirror and window wall potentially). Instead of trying to fight that crazy maroon/tan tile, I'd make it an integral part of the color scheme. Both these photos show that maroon sort of color in the rug. Imagine a bit of it on the wall, paired with that dark wall color and a healthy dose of white. It's striking. But not for the faint of heart, obviously.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/75364993743242207/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/44824958770257448/

nosoccermom thanked Kathryn P
  • 7 years ago

"The part of the house where they ran out of money looks a lot better."-lol. I see it happens a lot..:) when I look at the listings....

nosoccermom thanked aprilneverends
  • 7 years ago

I guess we could go more exotic.

• 7 years ago

For the 1st bathroom, I would try to identify the most neutral color in the tile and use that as your paint color--light, dark, either way, but it should be neutral and somewhere in the colors of the tile.

The second bathroom is harder, because as April said, in the long run, one of those surfaces really needs to go. They don't work together, so choosing a paint color to "pull it all together" is probably a lost cause. I'd try to find a warm, light, neutral that looks at least halfway decent with both surfaces and call it good until you can afford a bigger re-do.

nosoccermom thanked cawaps
  • 7 years ago

Okay, it is what it is. For your first bathroom I would pull out the darkest vein in your tile and paint walls a mocha. From pics it looks like it has a dark mocha color in it. Change out your window treatment with a soft white Roman shade or Australian balloon shade. I think you should also consider replacing your light fixture. Hang white towels on your towel rack and purchase a small interesting picture above the towel rack. Maybe even a large last name initial in silver. For bathroom #2 (haha.) I would paint the wall as close to the same color as the backsplash to help it go away/disappear/blend. I agree with previous posts...even a dark chocolate brown the color of the tub platform would work. Oversized vertical pictures or sconces would work well on the wall. By the way, I do like the wild and crazy bathroom. It would work. Have fun.

nosoccermom thanked Christy Reves
  • 7 years ago

While I wouldn't choose those tiles myself, I agree with arkansas girl that the paint color is what's bringing out the worst in them. On my monitor, it actually looks like the 2 tiles in the second bathroom coordinate (I see some pinkish veins in the darker tub surround tiles) so I definitely think you can work with what's there without getting out the sledgehammer... especially given that your DD thinks they're okay.

I like the idea of trying a dark color that coordinates with the tiles in both bathrooms, though I think the first bathroom could also work in the right shade of white or off-white. The tiles have so much personality, the last thing the rooms need is a contrasting paint color like what's on the walls. I think with walls that coordinate with the tiles, those rooms won't be bad at all. I hope you'll keep us posted with what you end up doing if you do buy the house!

nosoccermom thanked eastautumn
  • 7 years ago

Yes, not sure about whether I will make an offer. But thank you so much for all the great suggestions.

• 7 years ago

Remove the mirror in the first bath, replace with a smaller one over the vanity. It looks like what it is, leftover from a larger vanity.

Paint color ... hard to tell, but make sure it looks good with the tiles.

nosoccermom thanked User
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths