Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandi_parsonwilliams

What kind of rug would look great here?

I'm redecorating my living room. I feel like it needs a rug-- what do you think? Would a sheepskin rug look good in this space? Or can you recommend a different style that you think would look better?

(The chairs are placeholders. I will be replacing them-- probably with leather club chairs.)

Comments (9)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

No to the sheepskin. IMO you need a colorful rug, such as an oriental or one of the newer patterened colorful rugs. Your room is great and will be better with the rug additional.

Brandi Parson Williams thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

Another no to sheepskin. Keeping it clean would be a nightmare.

I'd suggest either a persian or a natural fiber rug, i.e.: sisal, seagrass, jute...

Brandi Parson Williams thanked tibbrix
  • User
    7 years ago

Something lighter to brighten the room up some. I had a similar problem where everything was brown on brown on brown.. Added a lighter rug and it made all the difference in the world, it was like the room came alive.

Brandi Parson Williams thanked User
  • chispa
    7 years ago

Oriental rug with an ivory or cream background to lighten up the space. Not as easy to find them with the light background color. Guessing an 8' x 10' size might work well.

Brandi Parson Williams thanked chispa
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

What are the colors in the curtains in the background? Difficult to tell from the photo, but maybe you could pick up on 1 or more of those.

Brandi Parson Williams thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

I agree that a light color is direly needed. Your room seems dark and heavy.

Brandi Parson Williams thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

There is a huge variety of rugs available to match any budget or setting so your options are wide open. You just need to figure out what features are more important to you, ie material, wearability, pricing.

We don't have kids but we have animals and didn't want to invest a lot into a rug that may not wear well. I found a huge variety at of all places, Home Depot.

We ultimately got this one for under 400.00 for a 10x12. One of the great things about it is it cleans easy, it's nice to walk on and it's wearing exceptionally well. It's made by Mohawk and is polypropolene. The lighter coloring really brought life to our fairly dark space.

Brandi Parson Williams thanked User
  • PRO
    4Heidesign
    7 years ago

Another vote for seagrass. They are light, neutral, and will brighten up what now appears to be dark and heavy.

Brandi Parson Williams thanked 4Heidesign