Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sockfinder

Lighting choices too disjointed? Too chandelier-y?

sockfinder
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Can I walk you lovely people through the fixtures I'm planning to buy, and have you tell me where I have missed the mark? Sometimes I need someone to save me from myself.....

2 of these are currently in my large kitchen area. I love this style, it feels like it fits my old house.

2 of these over a 12' dining table; 20' ceilings.

This in the hallway

This in the semi-adjoining family room. There are pot lights for the main light source in here.

I like the shapes of ^those two^, but I might paint the wood portion black.

Dining room steps out to a screened porch, there are 3 of these on the house.

I also need to pick two chained pendant lights for above the door and above the stairs; the same room as the wooden dining chandeliers. I am going to have to find something very simple and with a normal bulb, for my sanity.

Ok, hit me. I'm tough. :)

Comments (25)

• sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Dining table goes in front of those French doors.
  • sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here is the other side of the dining room w/ stairs

And a view into the family room so you can see how "connected" they are

• sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago

what's the etiquette for bumping your own post? **flinches**

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

i agree, i think they look fine, I too am concerned about one light for a hallway

• sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok, this is helpful. Thank you!

I said "hall," but to actually just a little blip of an open hall. If the chandeliers are off, we wanted it lit.
  • sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I was going to do this for above the door and stairs, on a bracket out from the wall. I think it is an open top bug-catcher though. I can't tell from the photos.
  • sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What about this? I was worried the "cage" would cast too many lines for a good quality of light.
  • User
    7 years ago

I guess I am always practical...Your choices are lovely, but I feel as if wooden beads will look dated in the future (which is fine, as this is the now)...but I have high ceilings and changing out a fixture is an expensive (for me at least) production. That's also why I don't really like dust-catcher type fixtures. I figure the least glass/doo-dads/bobeche, the better. At least in places a duster won't reach.

Just speaking from experience and maybe a viewpoint to consider...

• sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok I went out and took a couple pics in the dark. The light over the stairs and back door... SIGH. This is a "design dilemma" if there's ever been one. The lights were spec'd by the architect to hang from the 20' ceiling. I thought that was dumb so I told him to hang well above the door. I'd use old 20' long antique brackets that I have to extend and dangle a chain pendant.

Well, the light box was hung way off center. Now I'm going to have to do something somewhat strange there. :(

I have a welder at my disposal, so if I can figure out a concept.
  • sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Pics

This is dumb thing #597 I've done, lol!
  • life4real
    7 years ago
    While I don't know the size of these, I would guess the lantern(the last light photo is too small. I know you said three, but I still feel like it is small. What are the measurements of where they will go and what are the measurements of the lights?
  • sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I never thought about the beads becoming dated. I agree, I think they will. Damn!

But... I already bought those two, haha. I think it is a nice looking chandelier even if I remove the beads, so that could be an option in the future. That would be easy to do, because yes, switching these out would be expensive in the future. Oy.

I think it would be smart to do the over-door and over-stairs lights as low maintenance as possible. I'm just stumped on what would look ok there. :( I've searched for weeks. It needs to give decent light bc aside from the chandeliers, they are the only lights in that big room. Don't ask.......
  • User
    7 years ago

Is it the gc's responsibility to move the boxes?

Is this an addition? I love the exposed brick...

• sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wow! You are right! Second one is only 8.25"w, 16.25"h.

Other one is 11"w 22"h

The door is a standard door, I'm guessing 36"w? What size should I be looking for?
  • sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you, it's my favorite part! Yes, it's an addition to an 1860 farmhouse. I hope that means that my decor will have staying power even after everyone ditches the farmhouse overkill, LOL!
  • connie912
    7 years ago
    The brick are a nice soft color. It's the vents that are unsightly. Consider painting those to blend with brick.
  • sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I do own two of these, and a third that is the same thing but without the middle section (i.e., it is round). It's 10"w x 25"h. I just didn't think the look was quite right with the rest of these items - do you think that is the case?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

i really like your beaded ones. I agree about the possible casting of shadows. Maybe wait until you are further along to help w/the choice???

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

I like all your fixtures, I used to love the matchy matchy but am drawn to using fixtures that "go" together, I think all the ones you have posted go together, i.e. same style. I agree with Beth maybe get the room together and go from there???

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    I think something like these would look good mounted on that wall, especially with all that brick.
  • sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Unfortunately I have to buy my fixtures now ::sobbing::

They are breaking through the brick to the old house tomorrow, then floors go down. I dont think I'll gain any clarity by waiting anyway. I'm dumping existing furniture in there with the exception of the dining table. Whomppp whomp.
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

I like your photo above of the two lights you have, and think the style is fine; however, I think you need a much larger light for the entryway. For the downstairs "hall" space, is it too late to use two wall sconces instead? If you are just wanting ambient light, that would be better than another hanging fixture. One of the two lights you have might work at the top of the stairs, or maybe you could put in recessed light there so the focus stays on the entry light.

• sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok, so how large should the entry light be? It is just a back door that goes out to the deck. Minimum dimensions might help me start looking for the right thing. :)
  • sockfinder
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Also, my mom was over and said we "have to" have a fan in the family room with all of those windows. So I am considering kicking out the chandelier and doing this fan from RH. Other choice is posted second, but it's more expensive and the in stock date keeps pushing back.