Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayhomedesign

Best options to go with these knotted medium brown slab cabinets?

Jay
7 years ago

See kitchen: http://imgur.com/a/Td4SN

These were custom cabinets built and installed by prior owner. They are very well made and my wife and I do like them. They have unique look. They are flat cabinets but knotted wood and iron handles give it a rustic look.

My wife and I want a farmhouse sink. This would be white. I'm not sure if then the dishwasher, stove, refrigerator, etc. should also be white? You can see the look of white using current stove. I'm thinking it be too much?

My wife likes the oven hood. I think it looks neat also. But if we kept that... what other things would we keep this color (and best way to match it) to make it cohesive. My wife actually likes the counters too. And they are growing on me to be honest.

The floors, we have been thinking of just doing hardwood. I know some say not to do that for a kitchen but we think it will look nice. We wanted to go with a light colored flooring, like white oak, perhaps wide plank.

There is also question of soffits, backsplash, etc.

Anyway, any and all help is appreciated!

Comments (13)

• Fori
    7 years ago

Awesome kitchen. Functional? Only you can say. Be sure it is before spending much money.

If keeping the counters, backsplash, and hood (and why not?), I'd go with black appliances. It's okay for a white sink to be in there (but check out biscuit/almond if available) because only in cool retro kitchens like yours do the sinks match EVERYTHING else. Nobody expects it any more.

And light oak flooring would be my choice too. I'd probably prefer a narrow board since you've got a lot of wide boards already.

• jesslake
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree with Fori, black appliances would be great! Also agree with narrow light oak flooring. However, I would consider a stainless steel farmhouse sink instead of white. Rather than look too modern, stainless has a way of blending in and is lovely in the farmhouse style. I think anything white will pop out too much because of the contrast with the wood cabinets. Though I could see white in the backsplash/wall tiles. Personally, I would update the countertop and hood. Though the hood is a very cool shape, maybe paint it black?

ETA the newer "black stainless" appliance colour from KitchenAid might be perfect in your space.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Cure kitchen. Can you try to get a vintage sink?

Of course, what you really need is a vintage range :)

retro pine kitchens

http://retrorenovation.com/2014/06/02/knotty-pine-kitchen-retro-remodel/

• practigal
    7 years ago

My first move would be to make sure the hood works really well, if it does it can be kept if it doesn't I would be heartless and it would have to go.

You need to think this through. The kitchen is a really expensive item and an old yellow hood is interesting but you are talking about matching a really expensive item about it.

Have you measured your countertops to make sure that you can get a farmhouse sink in there? A lot of custom cabinets are too shallow for a farmhouse sink. Since you are getting a white farmhouse sink, I would expect that you would keep white appliances

What kind of countertops are you planning to get? What do you think of your current flooring? What colors do you have in the rest of the house?

• Jay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I especially like those pictures of knotty pine kitchens. I hadn't been using the right search terms to find examples of something like ours.

I think it seems like, regardless of what we do... that black or stainless will work better. It just feels like white will stand out too much against the cabinets to do white on all appliances. The dishwasher (in picture) is currently black and goes well as it blends with the knots and the iron hardware.

I think the idea of black stainless is cool. I'll have to look into that.

I didn't really realize that the hood might not work well and need to be replaced. I guess if not going with retro color then to keep it black.

I also like the suggestion of stainless steel for farmhouse sink (if of course it fits the cabinets). Especially if going with black appliances, I imagine it will stand out less. Plus, I'd think stainless steel is easier to keep clean, no worries about chipping and less prone to dish breakage.

I'm not sure for the countertops or backsplash. Like I said, considering keeping counters but if we do change... it's tough to settle on stone. We aren't against laminate but at that point, why not keep the yellow one since I do think it's a good color choice. But would love suggestions.

My wife mentioned subway tiles (white?) as a clean look against the knotted wood and it would go with the farmhouse sink and rustic feel. Would that work with the black appliances and dark wood or stand out too much?

The soffits can also be wall color (which has yet to be decided but likely a cream color) or something different.

Again thanks for help thus far and I welcome more ideas and opinions!

• herbflavor
    7 years ago

Why yank out the sink??the single bowl porcelain sink is the nicest thing about the kitchen. It's all snugged in with the intact rim around it. ....counters look in good shape. Change the hood to a white one to match the range and get a new faucet-an upright arc-style neck with a country look-double handles. Use the kitchen until you realize as compared to a real makeover, your kitchen lacks storage drawers, good use of corners, you are in need of an electrical upgrade, probably a better spot for the air conditioner. the cabinets are built on site which is typical for the era...you can probably repurpose the doors for other storage areas in the home. Have you had a carpenter quote you cutting the cabinet to place a farmhouse sink in? it's a pricey sink and you will pay for labour. What you have is perfectly fine and in keeping with the kitchen that you don't really plan to change much.

• eam44
    7 years ago

I like your kitchen. I'd love to see you replace the kitchen curtains with a yellow gingham valence.

I agree... if you're keeping the counters, keep the sink. It's flushmount porcelain and looks great. If it's functioning well, I wouldn't swap it out. If you want to change the sink because you like the look of a farm sink, that's a whole 'nother issue.

It is really, really important before you change anything, to start looking at images that come close to the look you think you want. Most of us are not great at visualizing. Do you want this to look like an updated 60's kitchen, or a country farmhouse kitchen? You can really go either way. Also, are you updating for resale, or for your own enjoyment?

• practigal
    7 years ago

If the sink is not in good condition I can see why you would want to change it. If it is in good condition and you like the countertops than I wouldn't touch the sink or the countertops.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

How big a deal is it to cut front doors down for a farm sink and to cut the counters?

• Jay
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Honestly, I think part of the problem is we don't know exactly what we want. We like the retro 50s-60s look and we also like rustic/farmhouse. I think before we purchased this home, we had a preference for the bright farmhouse kitchen. We really do like these cabinets though (this picture just shows this one corner, the kitchen has a decent sized peninsula with cabinets above (this is where the pic is taken from) and more cabinets and refrigerator on the other wall.

Anyway, so I guess we're trying to somehow find a way to match these retro-style cabinets and countertops with a rustic farmhouse look. All while hopefully keeping the kitchen a bit brighter (since the cabinets are on dark side).

It seems it would be easiest to keep the counters and sink... considering they are in good shape.

That would leave the backsplash, soffits and appliances. And of course the flooring, but that we will be doing with light oak in other areas. I guess might consider tile but it's a small home and hoping same floors throughout will make it feel larger.

Any suggestions on backsplash and soffits? Black vs. white appliances? Black seems as if it'd blend better but than definitely want something to brighten the space for backsplash and soffits.

If we did, one day, decide we wanted a different counter (and sink)... any suggestions?

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Why not do a soapstone sink and counters? Farmhouse is a nice look; kitchy is not.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Here's where we're starting.

The answer for "What do we want?" comes from flipping through picture after picture after picture and chosing true inspiration images.

For appliances, for example, if you're going retro I'd say go with white. If you want farmhouse chic I'd say stainless. Try to focus before you move forward. The wood floor is a great place to start, and I think it's a good idea especially if there are hardwood floors in the rest of the house. Regarding the backsplash, white subway tiles are fine, but interspersing a few pale yellow tiles might be really cute too.

Heres what speaks to me as farmhouse. Below it is retro.

• Fori
    7 years ago

Really, before you spend much, think about things like appliance placement. Like the range on the end next to a doorway. (With curtains!) Have you been in the house long enough to know if it works, if it's safe, if it won't drive you batty? Appliances and sinks can be reused if you have to gut the place, but don't spend money on a backsplash or countertop until you are SURE.