Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

New iron door is installed - now need new entry lanterns

IdaClaire
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The finishing crew is coming back to paint the trim around the new iron entry door that we recently had installed, so I have not yet taken an actual photo of the new door in place. I have, however, created this mockup that is pretty true to life.

We love the door and the way it accents the style of our home, which I'd describe as neo-eclectic with a slight rustic/southwest vibe. Now that the door is in place, we want new lanterns flanking the entry, but I'm not sure what to look for. Seems like most of what's out there is an ornate acorn shape, or Craftsman/Asian clean-lined style and I'm not sure either of those is quite right. (Although what I've seen would be an improvement on the current carriage lanterns, which I find boring since they're identical to the lanterns on every other house in the neighborhood.) Obviously I want something to better match the door, which is ORB with dark coppery-bronze accents. It photographed a little bit lighter than it is in person. I think I'd be hard pressed to match the glass of the door, which is a textured "rain" pattern, so for now I'm just looking to complement the door in style and color. Any suggestions? (Pardon the sad shape of the flowerbeds. This picture was taken just after we moved in during the heat of the summer last year. The plants are looking much healthier and fuller now.)

Comments (66)

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

That one looks a little chintzy to me, not hefty enough for your entry.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much, Tibb! I do like this, and it's not something I would've considered until you pointed it out so thanks. Haven't shown DH yet so not sure what his take on it will be. I wonder if anyone makes a similar style with textured glass ... We could probably have the plain glass replaced, but would prefer something already ready to go.

What do y'all think -- do these square lanterns complement the house more than the acorn-shaped/carriage style?

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Oo, I really like them. I think the rectangle shape compliments the door and the candleabra lights keep with the "oldness" of the style while the whole lamp adds a bit of a contemporary feel to the setup.

I would keep the glass clear, though, because those candleabra lights would be beautiful at night, like candles lit on each side of your door. I think there is some product, though, you can put on glass to create a textured look. Someone here recently did it with their front doors. I'll find the thread.

But I'd keep the glass clear if it were up to me.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Here it is. Scroll down to where she has glazed the glass.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4152868/thoughts-on-front-door-privacy-solution?n=131

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I like those a lot.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! Interesting about that glass-glazing stuff!

DH just measured the size of our current lanterns, and they're larger than I thought they were. I'm not sure how the measurements on the rectangular "box" type light would translate. Current lanterns are 24" tall overall, measured by how the lanterns "overlay" the wall mount. 21.5" of that is lantern only. The mount in the wall is 13" tall.

The rectangular box-style light is 13.5" tall. Is that going to be way too small?

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

That seems really small. I'd make a cardboard cutout of the dimensions, height and width, and see how it looks. 8" difference is a big one, and that door needs a hefty light. I think I read a review where the person said they loved the light but had to return it because it was too small.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Actually, the description has it as being 10.75" tall!

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Here is a bit larger size; 9" wide by 16.5" tall. The width might help. What is the width of the lamps you've got there?

http://www.affordablelamps.com/art-ac8391orb.html

Btw, that was my fault. They come in different heights and width, hence the different prices. I didn't notice the different sizes.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Oooh, check out some of these! Gorgeous - and priced that way!

http://www.shadesoflight.com/sales-specials/colonial-metalcrafts/

18"Hx12"W

16"H x 20" W

22"H x 12" W

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had DH measure only the length of our current fixtures - will have to get the width later. 16.5" x 9" would be better, but still seems like maybe a bit small. Darn it. I really like that style, and the finish looks like it would be perfect with the door. DH is concerned that it won't provide enough light though. I'm still going to keep looking, but I really do like this rectangular direction you've got me going.

Those Colonial Metalcraft fixtures are pretty, but I still like the Artcraft Fremont better.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I've just found my current fixture online. 24" overall, 10" wide and 11" deep.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I kinda like these Feiss fixtures. They're 22.5 high x 9" wide.

Any thoughts on these? Do you think that polished nickel reflector would be cheesy? Looks like pretty decent construction otherwise.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Oooo...love them. Can you provide a link so we can see them close up?

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Found it.

Did you look at the actual Feiss site? They have A LOT of really nice sconces.

http://www.feiss.com/Wall-Mount-Lantern.htm

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Let me know what you think. I keep waffling between what I like, but that's ok. DH wants to wait until next year before replacing our current lights, and I'm fine with that since it gives me plenty of time to decide what I like/want.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

I see that one on the Feiss site w/o the nickel reflector.

A lot of really nice ones to choose from.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Am I blind? (Probably.) I'm not seeing the Feiss Whitaker without the reflector. I like so many others on the Feiss site, but either the dimensions are wrong or they feel a little too "federal" in style.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

I'm probably just referring to some who are similar but don't have the reflector. I bet you can remove the reflector. I don't think it's right for you house, but it might look cool at night.

• User
    7 years ago

At first I liked the Feiss lights you posted photoshopped around your door, they're very pretty, but now I'm wondering if the rectangular shape, along with the rectangular shape of that portion of your house, might be too many straight lines? I wonder if something curvier might look nice. But idk, is it better to stay similar in shape, or better to soften the lines? Your house is beautiful btw.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

Tibbrix, thanks for the Feiss link. There are so many I love. I'm planning to get some new outdoor lights myself.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Gail! Your thoughts echo mine about the shape. My house is pretty much all straight, boxy lines and I'm not sure if adding more straight lines is complementary or simply too much. I didn't realize that choosing outdoor lighting could be so difficult!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Linelle - Yep, so glad Tibb shared these links as I've seen some beautiful things I likely wouldn't have looked at otherwise. Hope you'll share with us what you'll be getting!

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Ida, photoshop that second light, the gold one that hangs, if you can. I think that one is really cool and would look great with your door.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll try that one in just a sec, Tibb. I just found this one (Kichler Ralston) and I like it very much for a rounded/hanging shape.

• User
    7 years ago

Ida, I know, I'm never sure either. I spent so much time choosing my outdoor light fixtures. My house is all straight lines and I got rectangles, and I always wonder if I should've gone with something rounder or curvier. Then I just stop thinking about it because I don't feel like dealing with it! I spent a lot (for me) on the fixtures, but I put a cheapo light on the side which you can't really see but is not as straight-lined, and I think I like it better!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not sure. I really like the fixture, but think maybe the metal "cage" is too thin?

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Or does it look artsy in a good way?

Oh, crap. I'm starting to have absolutely no idea!

• User
    7 years ago

I agree. Too delicate. I do like the Kichler Ralson ones you posted above. Seems like they are a good shape for your house, a little less straight lined, but not too curvy. That little angle makes a big difference it seems.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah - I think you're right, Gail. It's a beautiful fixture, though.

The one I posted right before that - I keep going back to it and liking it more and more. I like the satin glass, and the fact that it has some curve to it but isn't really ornate. The finish and the size appear to be good fits too. I linked to it in the post. Unfortunately, I'm not loving the price tag.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Oh, no, I really, really like that one. I love the color, for one thing, and I think the wire "cage" compliments your door a lot.

That one would be a finalist for me. I really like it.

I'm not liking the more traditional ones. They're just "blah" to me, too overdone and therefore not noticeable. They feel "safe" to me, too obvious, I guess.

How about the one above that one? I like those two, and put them up as possibles, because they add a contemporary flare but with conservative lines.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's another pic of that one that you like, Tibb - on a house that isn't mine. The largest size available is 24.74" x 9.5" so that's a pretty good sized light. Still just not quite sure of the visual "heft" of it. But isn't it pretty!

I'll take another look at everything tomorrow. Must run for tonight and focus on the here-and-now instead of dreaming about my future lighting. ;-)

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

I love it. It's my favorite so far.

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

I saw them all and the above is the best as it is has the same curves as parts of the door and two different surfaces also like the door plus the light amber is a huge bow to the door. This is it for me.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

High-fives Yayagal. It looks like there's some of that amber color in her stonework too. Yes, love the amber hue. I think it's wonderful and perfect for her house.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

djbrandenburg, your lantern is very much like ours..:)

ours are relatively small though, yes...they're also in the backyard..we have a much bigger one in the front, left from previous owners

sorry no suggestions..but it looks like you've got plenty great ones!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

Love that last one!

• westsider40
    7 years ago

I regret not having read all the posts and know that you are now looking at lights, but have to say that door is beyond gorgeous. So pretty.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, westsider40!

Just coming back to this thread to say that we'll continue to wait on replacing the lanterns. It's not a must do by any means, and we've decided that there are other projects we need to tackle first. Still going to be thinking about what style we'd eventually like, though, and going to keep our eyes out. Oh, and that last lantern that you all liked? DH nixed it completely - he hates it. ::sigh:: I think when you can't decide or come to an agreement, that's a pretty clear sign to focus elsewhere anyway. Hope to come back to this at some point next year, and I appreciate all of the input which got me thinking along lines I would not have considered on my own.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I know you are waiting, but I'm going to put in a vote for the Kichler Ralston. I thnk the very strong, square lines of your house are plenty of linear design -- something with curves has more interest and the hanging lantern compliments the iron scroll work on the door. I like the rectangular lanterns very much, but they accentuate the straight lines of the house and the door itself, making the scroll work on the door an odd man out. The hanging latern wirh some curve brings it together. I also like that last lantern your DH doesn't, but I don't think it is right for your house. I can't put my finger on why -- contemporary -- a little too simple or delicate? Looks like it would be better against stucco rather than all the brick lines.

You said you have other projects to tackle, but even if you didn't, I think it is good to look and leave -- come back at least once or twice. That helps me weed out things I like but don't love for my use or for the long term.

• maries1120
    7 years ago

I like the ones that are less ornate - even the rectangle ones. The more ornate ones distract from the beautiful iron door.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    7 years ago

You are lucky to have so many options. We put in a new front door in January and still have not found a new sconce to go with it. Our door is ultra modern, and that style of outdoor sconce is almost impossible to find with a motion sensor. I can empathize with your choice to wait on changing the sconces - I think they are a difficult decision.

I love your door, by the way, even though it style is very different from mine. It makes your house look like a castle.

We recently bought a new welcome mat for our door, which has a pattern based on a FLW stained glass window. You might consider looking at new door mats while you are waiting to decide on a new sconce.

• lolauren
    7 years ago

Not my house. I bought outdoor lights this year and obsessed about it for a long time beforehand. It is NOT easy. Whitaker was one of my options... I found them on a house in a nearby town and took photos. I don't think they work on this house... but it does give an idea of what they look like in real life. IdaClaire, the last one you posted was another contender for me. I like it a lot, and I feel it would fit in your space well. I know that light can handle high wattage and the glass is nice to diffuse the light.... (I don't think the cage is too thin. I am not a fan of most lanterns, but this one is clean enough to stand out/be pretty to me.)

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Lars and lolauren! lolauren - the sconces on the house in your pics look like the Feiss fixture that I posted above. I really like them a lot. Still going to keep considering all of this!

• lolauren
    7 years ago

Those are for sure the Feiss Whitaker lights. Assuming the width for scale is right, I do think they fit your house and columns well. They're pretty! They were too tall for my application, so they didn't make the cut for me. :) Good luck... I know it's hard to pick out just the right earrings for your house.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I keep looking at that house that lolauren shared and am rather fascinated with the sculpture on that entry wall. I wonder what it is made of? lolauren - any idea?

• lolauren
    7 years ago

I didn't look in too much detail. It looks like twigs/sticks as opposed to an actual sculpture? We have a dry climate, so one could get away with it...

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks. I was thinking perhaps driftwood. Looks cool, from what I can see of it.