Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferridgewood

Subzero or Jenn-Air 42" Built-in Refrigerator? Others?

Hi - trying to decide between the Subzero or Jenn-Air for our new home. We have space for a 42" refrigerator, and would prefer the french door / bottom freezer over the side by side columns. Are these my only two options? It's a pretty high-end home, so would I be making a mistake for re-sale if I don't get the Subzero?

Comments (13)

• homechef59
    7 years ago

The Sub-zero has the cachet. Both are functional units with good reputations. Given the choice and money is not in question, I'd select the Sub-Zero.

jenniferridgewood thanked homechef59
  • mnnie
    7 years ago

Absolutely Sub Zero - Jenn Air would like to be in the same league, but isn't. My mother-in-law has a Jenn Air and it has some pretty low-end features (like how the deli drawers open)/ I love my Sub-Zero!

jenniferridgewood thanked mnnie
  • Stan B
    7 years ago

A realtor would be more likely to use the Sub-Zero brand in marketing material for the house but I'm not sure by itself the fridge would add resale value. Very few people are going to pick one house over another on the market at the same time because it has a Jenn-Air or Sub-Zero fridge. There will always be a few people who say "I had a sub zero in my last house and all it did was give me headaches so I don't want to buy any house with a sub zero fridge." Can't predict those type of emotions from buyers.

jenniferridgewood thanked Stan B
  • lascatx
    7 years ago

Definitely Subzero over Jenn-Air, but look at Thermador also.

• plllog
    7 years ago

Also Miele.

There are some neighborhoods where if it doesn't say "SubZero" on the MLS, people think it's an inferior house, but that's silly. It could have a big box store fridge and be a great house. Unless you're flipping in a tony neighborhood, I'd look at whether the fridge fits your lifestyle, storage needs, convenience, appearance and quality, not the potential of appealing to silly people on resale.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

How soon are you intending to sell? If it's not for another 7-10 years, get what you like because by then it will be considered an old fridge.

Additionally are you looking for a built in fridge or an integrated fridge? They are two different animals.

• plllog
    7 years ago

What Cpartist says is true for kitchens in general and most appliances. However, in those places that value SZ, a 7-10 year old SubZero is a SubZero. Most people expect to get at least 30 years out of one, with perhaps a small repair or two along the way. People who are looking for whatever cachet SZ supposedly brings, aren't too fussed about the age, even when they're 20 years old. I'm not saying you should do it for resale! That's only worth it if you're flipping, and if it's one of those neighborhoods. But it's also a really good fridge.

• homechef59
    7 years ago

I bought a home with 20-year old Sub-Zeros. The compressor in the separate freezer had died. No worries, just replace. Good for another 20 years. I've sold the house. I bet they are still going.

• chazas
    7 years ago

I didn't know JennAir sold one. But if it's the same as the Kitchenaid line, I preferred my 48" Kitchenaid to the 48" Subzero I had just before.

• sshrivastava
    7 years ago

Electrolux and Frigidaire Pro appear to be the best deals in this category. I just got dual column Elextrolux fridge/freezer - 36" for a total of 72" - for $4,000 including trim kit.

• Natalie H
    7 years ago

Which one did you end up choosing? I'm having this debate right now and would love to hear. Thanks!

• barbieavery
    last year

I am going through this exact same decision. I am going to ask my salesman when we meet about how they compare, but I found out that the lead time is 6 months for Jenn-air and 1 year for Sub Zero. For the little bit of savings with Jenn-air, and if wait time were the same, i would probably go with Sub Zero, just because all sales people say it is the best. But if they are same in quality, and the wait is that much less, then I may go with Jenn-Air. Who's going to know what it is if the label is covered by a panel, except for if they ask, but I am now discovering that people DO ask, because they are looking for one themselves, and they DO know that they are a status symbol, which I totally don't care about, but maybe just a little. I haven't looked into Thermador, but I've heard its lead time is also a year. I am going to compare Thermador too.