Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boni_ramey

Blank slate! Help! Seeking Exterior Pizaaz and Privacy.

Florida Homey
7 years ago

This is our 1955 houzz in Sunny North Florida. I would love to hear what you think would give this house some wow factor. In addition to the bland exterior, my front yard has zero privacy and a rather large lawn.I'm a plant person ,but currently lack a cohesive design due to the size of the lawn. Also, the lack of privacy keeps me from wanting to work in the front yard. I need your help! Thanks in advance! I look forward to chatting with you all.

Comments (31)

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a view from another angle. Thanks!

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• PRO
    Gailani Designs Inc.
    7 years ago

What style you are trying to create? You can go with so many different styles.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello! I am a huge fan of midcentury modern. I love clumping bamboo and muhly grasses. I also love horizontal fence designs and strategically placed privacy screens.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It needs to be landscaped. What keeps you from working in front yard? Do you garden in the nude??? Just saying.... sorry....

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I live across from an apartment complex. Lots of transient neighbors and prying eyes. I need privacy without feeling confined.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'd love the idea of a grey house with white trim and a burnt orange front door.

• User
    7 years ago

Think of your landscaping in roughy a c shape. The open end would be along the path to the door. Close to the sidewalk or road plant taller shrubs that are native to Florida. Along the side of the house could be lower shrubs - azaleas if you don't need privacy there. In front off the house also lower. I would do some interesting shaped shrubs along the front of the house because their shape will show up against a light facade. Hinoki Cypress is an evergreen with unique shape. In the interior of the C is either grass or a rockery.

Florida Homey thanked User
  • chiflipper
    7 years ago

I am a big fan of horizontal wood board fences. If the building across the street makes you feel like you're living in fishbowl why not install a tall privacy fence? Check with your municipality for the minimum setback permitted.

Florida Homey thanked chiflipper
  • User
    7 years ago

I would add shutters and beef up your porch pillars to stained 4x4s

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you PureMichigan60. Thank you for the visualization. I like your suggestions.Especially the part regarding the interesting shaped plants in front of the house. I've thought about getting a local iron worker to create a piece of art for the area of space between the two front windows. Either to attach to the house or something free standing. Plants with interesting shapes could really set it off especially at night if properly lit. Hopefully, without looking too busy.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The neighbor two doors down has the same privacy issue. He put up a 6 or 8 foot stockade fence. Feels a bit extreme from the road, but it allows them to use all of their property without feeling exposed. They even used the front part of their yard to outline a couple of gardens and an area for free range chicken. The right front part of their yard has a giant trampoline for the kids which is private from the road. I've considered going this route. I just think there is a happy medium between functional and stylish. I don't want it to look like a compound. lol

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am definitely going to box in and beef up the pillars (the "stripper poles" have got to go). The other option is to get rid of the pillars using a brace and post technique. This way if we extend the porch out to where the current steps are and over to the right we can still attach a railing to it but also have the structural support we need.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

Your neighbors ' house sounds like a fortress... so glad I live where people aren't so obsessed with "privacy "... no offense.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm trying to stay away from shutters. I was thinking of adding trim around the windows we we install new ones.

• User
    7 years ago

I also prefer trim. You want to add depth to the facade and shutters or trim in a contrasting color will do that.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Exactly Jacknewportbeach, His fence reminds me a bit of old news footage I saw of a certain Waco, Texas incident back in the 90's. I'm looking for something a little less penitentiary.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you puremichigan60, you nailed it. The contrast between the facade and trim is what it's all about. I've recently noticed how many people have no contrast between their facade and trim/shutters. It's especially noticeable at night. I think a house can be styled to look great both night and day.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have a ton of space in the back. Overall , the house has very little shade. The privacy in the front is so I don't feel so exposed in my coming and going. Also, I love to have the curtains drawn to let in the wonderful (but, at times ,overbearing) natural light without feeling seen. A strategic planting should serve as shade and a touch of privacy.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

A few of Ideas: A four foot high horizontal fence with a live oak and silver saw palmettos in front or behind it. Ornamental grasses such as muhly or fakahatchee. Star anise hedges flanking a horizontal privacy screen along the side of the house.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like the staggered horizontal screens with inter spaced plantings. I also love the slight elevation of the screens to allow for wildlife to cross under.

• User
    7 years ago

These all sound good. I'm not familiar with plants specific to your zone. Your point about not wanting it to look too busy is good. Smaller gardens I stick with 4-5 different plants - however, you need each to shield the house or soften the fencing, so that's different. As often as you can use the same plant, I would. And they're almost always better in groups of 3.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The goal is to create privacy that is still open and inviting

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Your inspiration pic shows an informal look, which is all about personal taste. Of course, zoning as well. MCM is more precise and spare. Also consider that when varying the depth of each fence panel, you're using up front lawn space.

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's a creative approach

• happyleg
    7 years ago

Plant bush one foot from house under window next to garage. Paint door green or turquoise.

Florida Homey thanked happyleg
  • Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi happyleg, I'm undecided with whether to go with a cool or a warm color for the front door. turquoise is tempting but so is a saffron/burnt orange color. The roof is kind of a light grey which is a cool color so maybe I Should keep the door a cool color?

• happyleg
    7 years ago

Sunny side or shade? The door is the jewel of your home & welcomes u every day!

• Florida Homey
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The door is on a sunny side and faces south.

• happyleg
    7 years ago

Mine does too & is burnt orange!