Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Your Favorite Way to Spend a Cold, Rainy Day?

LynnNM
7 years ago

Rainy, cold, cloudy days are very infrequent here where I live in the mountains of New Mexico. I actually love them, because they remind me of growing up in Michigan, where rain and clouds are much more frequent. Today has been a day like that. It's been cold, cloudy and rainy pretty much all day. I realize that if you live in the Pacific Northwest, days like this are not too special, but I'm curious. What's your favorite way to spend a day like today?

For me, it's lighting a fire in our family room fireplace, which opens to the kitchen. I'll put on some mellow Classical music and then I like to make a pot of homemade soup. And perhaps some muffins for breakfast in the morning, too. This afternoon I'm in the middle of making a big pot of French Onion Soup. I'm not quite sure why, but for me, Classical music just feels like a Fall sort of music. Afterwards, while the soup is simmering, I love to curl up on the sofa in the family room with a good book and snuggle with my furkids. I took this pic just a few minutes ago. To me, this is so cozy, and the perfect way to spend the day. How about you?.

Comments (34)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Curl up with a cat or two in an afghan, a hot cup of tea and a good book.

LynnNM thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago

Just like this. Kindle. Beagles. Real wood burning fire.

LynnNM thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • User
    7 years ago

If I've got a dog or dogs, I like to take them for a walk on the beach. When we get home, I light a fire, take a hot shower, put on some soft clothes, and get under my Denali fleece throw on my sofa, listen to the dogs breathing as they sleep in front of the fire, and watch the boob tube while typing away on GW and reading the NY Times online.

LynnNM thanked User
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, Annie, a cup of tea, too . . . absolutely!

Beagles: look at them, how cozy!

Tibbie: that sounds fantastic! Every single part of it. Ahhh!

• beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Tibbrix I wish you lived closer so you could doggy sit my dogs. You sound like such a good dog sitter!

LynnNM thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Such days have become so rare here in SoCal that I've forgotten what I like to do...:-D

LynnNM thanked Fun2BHere
  • User
    7 years ago

Awwww, thank you, Beagles. That is sweet of you to say.

I try to show them a good time.

• jakabedy
    7 years ago

Lynn, you're right. Today reminds me so much of living back in Alabama. Constant, pouring rain! Heavens knows we need it, but I've about forgotten how to function in it. We haven't bought any firewood yet this year, so I'm out of luck there. And I haven't been to the grocery store so I have nothing to cook. It's a sad situation!

LynnNM thanked jakabedy
  • User
    7 years ago

Rainy days drive me to the kitchen, too.

But whenever I think of rainy days, a college memory always comes to mind. In one class, we were assigned a reading by an author I do not care for at all (I won't share here, because he's a classic that many appreciate). We were supposed to discuss his work in class one day, and I was dreading it. Moreover, it began to rain on my walk to class. Once in class, the professor announced that on such a rainy day, we should return to our dorm rooms, make a cup of tea, listen to the rain, and ponder life. Or something along those lines...

I remember being grateful at the time. I walked back to my dorm and joined friends and hung out. It was a great afternoon. Looking back, I think the professor just didn't have his lecture prepared and used the rain as an out.

That was 25 years ago, and I still think about it every time it rains.

LynnNM thanked User
  • lucillle
    7 years ago

Cold days like that are made for long hot luxurious baths and then maybe a good movie on TV with the dogs warming my feet. A nice pot of chili on the stove.

LynnNM thanked lucillle
  • ladypat1
    7 years ago

Make soup, bake, and read. Whenever we used to get snow days,and I did not have to teach this is what I wanted to do. Now I include rainy, cold days!

LynnNM thanked ladypat1
  • cooper8828
    7 years ago

Coffee, a book, and some type of hot food that takes a long time to cook, unattended. Lynn, I hear you. I am from Tennessee and now live in Southern NM. The rain there did not make me lazy - it rained too much. But here is a whole different story. I had to work today and I was yawning all afternoon.

LynnNM thanked cooper8828
  • tinam61
    7 years ago

That's funny cooper - I am in TN and we are under a severe drought and not the first one. A rainy, chilly day makes me want to cook something yummy too - comfort type food. That's a good kind of day for napping and hubby and I would enjoy that or just piling up on the bed (with our pup of course!) and reading a good book or catching up on magazines. We also enjoy a rainy day in the sunroom where we can watch the rain/clouds/fog.

LynnNM thanked tinam61
  • User
    7 years ago

I'd love a cold, rainy day. It's been too long without either. It's November and I'm sick of the 80s!

LynnNM thanked User
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

I was thankful that it finally cooled off. I like fall where there is some chill in the air and we have not really had much of that yet. Last night we lit the first fire of the season in the woodstove and it was fabulous. I wanted to cook today but never found the groove for it but did putz about the house, taking care of little things here and there that needed to be sorted and disposed of. I have been working outside a lot lately planting bulbs and garlic and the inside has been neglected, so I was happy to putz about. The rain did not start here until this afternoon but is forecast for tomorrow, too, so I plan to put some tri-tip in the crockpot tomorrow and hopefully putz about some more.

LynnNM thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

It's been so long since we've had rain, I've almost forgotten what to do. This time of year would normally mean a fire, a book, making a pot of soup, and catching a nap. I'm tired of the 80's too. Just give us some normal fall temps and I'd be happy, happy!

LynnNM thanked OutsidePlaying
  • bpath
    7 years ago

I love a cold rainy day for cleaning out a closet, or a drawer, or etc. It just seems so cozy and domestic to me.

LynnNM thanked bpath
  • neetsiepie
    7 years ago

Ummm....Well, we've entered into the gray season here in the PNW, so we have A LOT of cold, rainy days. In fact, this October was second to the record wettest in Portland. :( So for us, cold, rainy days are just another day, only with boots and rain jackets (we eschew umbrellas here). But I do like a rainy weekend day where I can just curl up with a warm cat and nap.

You should ask us what we do on a sunny, clear sky fall day!

LynnNM thanked neetsiepie
  • Oakley
    7 years ago

Lynn, I love those low clouds! We've had heavy fog all week until noon, it's been nice.

I cook on snow days, always cinnamon sticky buns that are usually gone by the end of the day. Worth the four hours of cooking time! Always a pot of stew or ham and beans for dinner. I always make Tabouli with stew.

Rainy days is when I like to clean house, usually rearrange things, and just piddle. Rain energizes me. I especially love to sit on the front porch with my iPad playing a game and watching/listening to the rain.

And then reality hits, the dogs have tracked wet paw prints all over the wood floors which means back breaking work the next day. :)

LynnNM thanked Oakley
  • lucillle
    7 years ago

SO cute!!!

LynnNM thanked lucillle
  • joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

Being lazy, watching movies, grilled cheese and tomato soup.

LynnNM thanked joaniepoanie
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

It's been so long since we've had a cold and rainy day, I wouldn't know what to do :( But a fire, grilled cheese and tomato soup and a movie sounds good :) I love dark, rainy mornings tho! When I hear the thunder, I just smile and pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep. The louder the thunder, the better.

LynnNM thanked monicakm_gw
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

The idea of a cold rainy day sounds good, but I eventually go stir-crazy. One day is fine. I'm not gonna stay in bed because the sands of time are running through the hourglass and I don't want to waste them in bed all rumpled up. Maybe do some reading or baking, watch some football or basketball on TV. Grab an umbrella and take a walk. Do something crafty.

LynnNM thanked Bunny
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Awww, what great ways you all have to spend a cool, rainy day! Just a few minutes ago, I saw an ad on TV for Campbell's tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. It must be the classic comfort food for lunch. I know it is for me, and for my kids as well. Anyhoo, thanks for sharing with us all!

• krmarchese
    7 years ago

I also like to cook on cold, rainy or snowy days. Like everyone - I tend to clean what I normally would not - a linen closet or go through my closet and weed out. I also like to do something crafty. I recently started cross stitching again & my DD is hooked too!

LynnNM thanked krmarchese
  • User
    7 years ago

I love cold, rainy days! We've had some rainy ones lately, but not cold enough to enjoy the fireplace yet. I'm really looking forward to that. I enjoy lighting a candle, lounging around in comfy clothes, drinking tea, watching old black and white films, and knitting.

LynnNM thanked User
  • texanjana
    7 years ago

We are having a cool, rainy day today. Not cold enough yet for a fire, but I am reading with a nice cup of hot tea. I think I might have a grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch.

LynnNM thanked texanjana
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, Jana, it's only 9:42AM here, and now you've done it! Got me craving a bowl of tomato soup and a yummy grilled cheese sandwich (LOL)!

• texanjana
    7 years ago

It was yummy!

LynnNM thanked texanjana
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha! And, I'm headed into the kitchen right now to make myself the same thing for my own lunch today! I've been craving them since before 10AM, thanks to all your posts here (LOL)!

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just made my own. Trader Joe's Tomato and Roasted Red Bell Pepper soup that I always keep on hand in my pantry. Unfortunately, the "grilled cheese" on my homemade oat tortilla just didn't have that same awesome, old fashion cheese flavor that it would have with 2 slices of "regular" bread.

• texanjana
    7 years ago

Looks good and probably much healthier than mine!

LynnNM thanked texanjana
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

Look how big Penny is!!!!!

LynnNM thanked eld6161