Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melis918

Please help with pendant lights!

Melissa Kroger
7 years ago

I can't quite figure out pendant lighting and could definitely use some help. My island is 57" wide and 27" deep with a table attached to the back that is 37" wide and extends 50". I was planning on 1 pendant centered on the island and another centered on the table. Since the island is 36" high and the table is 30" high, how high should I hang the lights? Should they even be hung at the same height? My second question is how big should they be? My top choice is this Tom Dixon pendant that is 9.5" wide and 11 5" tall:

Is this large enough for the space? Also it takes a 25 watt halogen bulb. Is this sufficient light?

Comments (8)

• zorroslw1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My island is very similar in size, 60" long by 30 inches wide with a pull out table. My table is About 22 inches or so, just big enough for two to sit and have breakfast or lunch. I have 2 pendant lights centered over the island. They give enough light for the island and small table. If I need more light, the kitchen can lights can be used. I don't know if 25 watts would be enough light, if not could the pendants handle a higher wattage? My pendants are about 8" wide and 7 " tall, squatty design. I think your pendants size would be fine. My lights are about 36 inches from the top of the island. The pics make them look a little higher. I have attached a couple of pics for you. I would put both over the island. Maybe a 3rd over the table?

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

a) it's going to be very directed light-won't spread around enough.

b) 25 watt is not sufficient, not when it's about lighting the very functional zone that the kitchen is. might be great for mood. doesn't matter that much if you rely also on other lights there, and pendants are mostly for mood/beauty

you can try and see whether you can do three pendants. I agree these are very pretty

the size seems right to me

I think they should be hang evenly if put on a straight line

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

zorro- thanks for the pics of your kitchen. I love your pull out table! What is the wattage of your pendants and is the light sufficient?

april- I agree that the light will be very directed, but we have a ton of recessed lights that we will use 90+% of the time. My DH really loves these lights and since he hardly cares much about what I've chosen, I'd like to let him have his choice. There are other brands with higher wattage, but not as well made and the inside is less gold and more orange.

Does anyone know what a 25watt halogen is equivalent to in an incandescent

• karin_mt
    7 years ago

Look up the type of bulb - they all have a code of some sort. Then google around for LED bulbs that fit in that same socket type. You may well be able to find something nice and bright, and more efficient too boot. Halogen bulbs make more heat than light, and LED is way better.

You can also look up charts with equivalencies between the different types of bulbs.

Hope that helps! It's a cool pendant!

• french toast
    7 years ago

I would hang them evenly even though the counters are not the same height.

• zorroslw1
    7 years ago

Not sure of the wattage, they are LED maybe equal to 60 watts. But They give enough light and I could use higher in them if necessary.

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've decided to go for them since they won't be the primary light source. I also need to order something for over the sink and wonder if I should use the exact same light, a different shape of the same light or something altogether different. I'd prefer a flush/semi- flushmount, but am not sure what would coordinate well.

Tall/skinny version is 14.2 high X 7.5 wide:

Here is the window: