Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyson_moran

Fireplace and wall color

Alyson Moran
7 years ago

Hey all, new home owner here. I have two dilemmas. First is, our fireplace has multi tones in it and we need to find a bright, neutral paint to go with it. I tried BM revere, edgecomb and Manchester. They all looked to muted and grey in the room. I think I need a soft taupe? I want the room to have a bright neutral overall feel.

Second question. We painted the wood trim on fireplace left over white. Does it look too stark against the stone? Should I do an off white or will it look fine once the walls are neutral and not mustard yellow? Thanks!

Comments (30)

• Alyson Moran
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like the modern farm house look. think fixer upper show style.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

Too stark. And, btw, you're going for a "bright...overall feel" & thinking of grays???

• Beth Pilcher
    7 years ago
    Whitewash your brick. It's super easy. This is a picture of what I did on very red brick in our basement game room..
  • Alyson Moran
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I didn't think they would look so gray. I did some research on the colors and they looked neutral enough. Some ideas.

• Alyson Moran
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We were originally going to white wash the fireplace. I still maybe will.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I wouldn't pick your wall color until you whitewash the fireplace..all paint colors will look completely different once whitewashed...the white painted trim should be painted out with the color you use to whitewash the fireplace. Good Luck and congratulations on your new home!

Alyson Moran thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • Alyson Moran
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What do you mean it will be painted out? I'm having anxiety that we will ruin it now that we painted the wood white. but if we white wash it will be fine?

• PRO
    NewLinkz
    7 years ago

There are several options out there to make this backsplash project a success. A popular option for our NewLinkz customers is the Peel & Stick Tile. No glue or grout needed, just peel stick and you’re done. You may want to check them out for your project. https://www.houzz.com/products/3x6-peel-and-stick-brushed-stainless-color-metal-wall-tiles-set-of-8-prvw-vr~37877755?lid=23993977

If you have any questions, feel free to drop us a line and we’d be happy to walk through your project with you.

Cheers

Ema, Lead Designer

NewLinkz

• Alyson Moran
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK thank you

• Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    I like it as is, paint the shelves white. Behr Perfect Taupe might be a nice wall colour
  • Alyson Moran
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Iv been looking at the behr so many times. I do love that color in pictures. just have to find a store that sells by me

• chloebud
    7 years ago

Alyson, I love the brick. If you keep it as is, look at BM's Maritime White for the walls. A nice, light neutral.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Alyson..dark walls with that brick and white shelves will not look good and will not update your space..you are a young family..you need bright clean fun youthful finishes with pops of color...paint it out white and it will transform your space..than colors have no limit...just a thought!

• User
    7 years ago

I wanted a neutral color that wouldn't clash with my brick fireplace and barn red milk paint kitchen cabinets. I have a box of sample boards and ended up with California (I think) Plymouth Beige from their Historic collection. This is the third house that I've used this color in - it's easy for me to live with, shows off the black frames on my art, has a red undertone to support the bricks and warm it up a bit. Good luck - this had to be the hardest part of the whole house project. The house I'm in now has Jewett White trim with the Plymouth Beige. (new house is wood trim) I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and add it to this.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Love it as is! :) Draftsman Newcastle

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Urban Farmhouse meets Shabby Chic....Light or whitewashed fireplace is a must!

• Alyson Moran
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Behr perfect taupe. thoughts? too dark ? I'm really hating every color in this room!

• emma0217
    7 years ago

I think that would look nice if your brick was white or white washed. You won't get a true read against the current wall color.

• Roc Newton
    7 years ago

I used a product called brick anew. If you google it you will see a variety of shades and it comes out looking like a natural stone rather than paint.

• Chris Price
    7 years ago

Queen Anne's Lace is a beautiful color. Soft creamy yellow looks good with white trim. Definitely whitewash brick.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Please don't pick a wall color until you do fireplace:(....it will change the lighting and tone so drastically!

• PRO
    Bella Grace Signature Kitchens & Baths
    7 years ago

I agree but it appears that you are trying a gray with white moldings so, let me suggest that you take all the pros comments, find out what you want to do with your fireplace first. Rather you white wash it or paint it but the gray tones on the walls have to be balanced with the fireplace. One thing I ask of you is to consider how your furniture will look in the new space. Let me give you an idea of the white fireplace with the gray painted walls. I am a K & B designer and a professional faux artisan so color is imperative to me. Therefore take a peek at this picture, play with the colors. Just click on the link here.

Color Snap Sherwin Williams

• sunnysideforever
    7 years ago
    Paint the walls to match your lightest brick.
    The white does not work. Sand it off if you can.
  • Lisa R
    7 years ago
    Things to consider: Type of lightning LED, CFL, etc. Different types of lightning will affect the paint and look of the room. I would leave the brick as is, add Daylight LED lighting, and then choose the paint color. Have you looked at Sherman Williams Accessible Beige ?
  • User
    7 years ago

Don't know if this will help. The wall is eggshell finish, the trim is semi-gloss for some depth. The walls in this house are wood. The walls in my current house are drywall so even though I have the same color in both it is a little different shade. This color really does change with the light.

• Alyson Moran
    Original Author
    7 years ago

we painted today. now to decide on a wall color.

• Alyson Moran
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

WOW! Great job...amazing transformation!

If you want a gray that won't look blue...try Sherwin Williams Dovetail or SW Dorian Gray they are just beautiful! they are both warm grays rather than cool..that can sometimes look light blue.

SW Dorian gray

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

How are things going?