Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Wall mounted bathroom faucet

mrspete
7 years ago

I think I want a wall mounted faucet. My reasoning: I hate cleaning around the faucet base, and this'll allow for a streamlined counter top. I want two lever-type handles because in the bathroom it seems -- at least to me -- that often I want just hot or just cold.

But why are so few available? Am I missing something negative?

Comments (38)

• mrspete
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That all looks great! Thanks.

• skw27
    7 years ago

mrspete, I found that to be true when I went looking also until I checked Amazon. I got this one for under $100 and I love it. This is the best picture I have right now. Obviously we're not moved in yet, the only thing I worry about is how far away the soap dispenser will be with dripping hands but we'll see what I can get figured out.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    7 years ago

SKW, you've just helped me realize something: We tend to see these wall faucets paired with vessel sinks ... but I intend to use a more traditional sink. Just noting a trend.

Assuming a traditional sink, how far should the faucet protrude out over the sink?

• skw27
    7 years ago
    Well the one I got comes out 7" so for a traditional bathroom sink I think it would be good. This one doesn't have levers like you said you wanted but I found the best selection on Amazon.
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Do we see this less frequently, because installation is more of an issue and especially, if something goes amiss down the line (literally), you have leaks inside your wall?

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

I wanted to do this...

• enduring
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here's a link to an old thread that I commented on regarding drippy hands. http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2310182/wall-mount-vs-sink-mount-for-bathrooms?n=4

this may not be an issue for others but I was happy I didn't have to deal with it. My other bathroom is a constant wipeing down of the counter and the faucet. The faucet has a flat top and water stands there, evaporates, and leaves a ring :/ Love the look but I'd do a round faucet next time.

BTW, the Hansgrohe wall faucet I've shown above, has an adjustable spout. I think it adjusts a couple of inches. I believe I have it adjusted almost all the way out. It describes this feature in the specs.

love the setup that @mdln posted.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Do we see this less frequently, because installation is more of an issue
    and especially, if something goes amiss down the line (literally), you
    have leaks inside your wall?

Most tub faucets and shower faucets come out of the wall, and we don't worry about them 'specially much. Is a sink different?

• enduring
    7 years ago

Mrspete, my thoughts exactly. I just went with it. I have access from the back side if the faucet should fail. Patching drywall is easy.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

I like this Kohler Brockway in a cabinet with the ledge across the back and the faucet levers that rotate forward and back:

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Mdln, where is that sink from? I want it.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

@ cpartist, Not sure, do you think it might be this one?

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I used the Fina from Moen (but with a vessel sink) for exactly the reason you stated - I hate cleaning around the faucet base. I'm going to redo another bathroom and will do wall mount again because I love it so much - but I'm looking for a one handled one because I worry about my little grandson using just the hot. I haven't found any I really like, so will be watching this thread, too.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Thank you mdln. That's it!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Well that was it. It's about 3x the price of a regular bathroom sink so I guess it's a no go.

• Linda Doherty
    7 years ago

I don't understand why you need 2 handles because you like to use just hot or just cold. Couldn't you just move a single lever all the way left or right?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Yes.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

@ cpartist, some slight variations. The first pic/price is from Houzz.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Just a reminder. A wall faucet "rough in" can't be very "rough". The valve must be installed perfectly plumb and level, especially if there are tile going on the wall and especially especially if there is more than one such as in a bath vanity with two bowls. Don't ask me how I learned this, please.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like this Kohler Brockway in a cabinet with the ledge across the back and the faucet levers that rotate forward and back:

I like this sink quite a bit ... but I don't want two faucets, and I don't like the single version near as much ... and then there's the price. Ouch!

I don't understand why you need 2 handles because you like to use just
    hot or just cold. Couldn't you just move a single lever all the way
    left or right?

Yes, but this is where personal preference comes into play.

Just a reminder. A wall faucet "rough in" can't be very "rough". The
    valve must be installed perfectly plumb and level, especially if there
    are tile going on the wall and especially especially if there is more
    than one such as in a bath vanity with two bowls. Don't ask me how I
    learned this, please.

Okay, I won't ask how you learned -- sounds like a story you don't wish to revisit -- but I would like to understand better. Is a sink wall faucet different from a shower faucet, or is the "perfectly plumb and level" a higher degree for a sink somehow?

Are you saying it's hard to make two sink faucets "equal" on the wall? If so, no problem -- I only intend to use one sink. Or are you saying it's a problem if you have a shower and a sink on the same wall (both wall mounted faucets), it's a problem?

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

mrspete with a wall faucet I think you will need a plug-in or pop-up sink drain stopper, are you ok with that? Just checking, I had to sell DH on the pop-up stopper because at first he was opposed.

We have the Kohler Brockway sink in the kids' bath with no stopper since the sink does not have an overflow. One nice feature of the Brockway, Gilford, etc. sinks is the integral backsplash -- makes for easy cleaning after messy users.

Re faucet/sink compatibility, really depends on what you have. I kind of like to have the water flow hit the drain (unless the drain is positioned all the way at the back of the sink). I suppose that is a long way of saying, check and double-check all the specs for all the parts ;-)

Good luck and have fun!

• mrspete
    Original Author
    7 years ago

mrspete with a wall faucet I think you will need a plug-in or pop-up sink drain stopper, are you ok with that

I've never had anything else, and I hate to be so ignorant ... but what's the other option? I think I'm not getting the point.

One nice feature of the Brockway, Gilford, etc. sinks is the integral backsplash -- makes for easy cleaning after messy users.

That is very nice.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Mrspete:

Sorry for the picture quality, but this is as far back as I can get in my bedroom to take a picture of my bath that illustrates my point. My two faucets are only off by about 1/8" or so, but with dead level tile grout lines, you can see it if you look and you're a bit anal retentive. The left faucet isn't perfectly plumb either and there's a slight white silicone bead at the wall escutcheon to cover the inevitable gap. Fortunately the lady on this job let me slide.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I found ours on (ta-dam!) Signature Hardware website (that was before I read here about all their lead-testing noncompliance). Must say it looks very nice and was priced very well. I went with..I think antique brass finish? they're good in sense of having a variety of fixtures' finishes without huge jump in the price. Needed it for a tiny(tiny!) powder room-simply no space for other faucet. The wall is not tiled there. Works fine for now, but we're not in the house yet-so only light use.

Pretty spaces in this thread!

• mrspete
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry for the picture quality, but this is as far back as I can get in
    my bedroom to take a picture of my bath that illustrates my point. My
    two faucets are only off by about 1/8" or so, but with dead level tile
    grout lines, you can see it if you look and you're a bit anal retentive.
    The left faucet isn't perfectly plumb either and there's a slight white
    silicone bead at the wall escutcheon to cover the inevitable gap.
    Fortunately the lady on this job let me slide.

Ah, got it ... but I have never seen the point in side-by-side sinks, so I personally wouldn't have this problem. Great storage in that bathroom ... but I see why you had a hard time finding a perspective from which to take the picture.

• stephemt
    7 years ago

We just did a wall-mounted faucet as well, but with an undermount sink. The faucet was mounted approx 6" above the countertop, if I remember correctly. We bought a Delta Ara faucet, which was relatively inexpensive, and had to also buy a rough-in valve, and a special pop-up drain (with overflow) for our setup as well. Sorry for the picture quality, the bathroom is very narrow, tough to get a good shot.

• User
    7 years ago

We diy'd two American Standard single lever wall faucets in our master bath back in 2008. Most importantly, you will need a good quality faucet. After that decision, we chose these particular faucets due to the the length of the spout. That said, installing wall faucets is a lot more complicated then installing countertop faucets. In our case, we built a small pony wall (open at the bottom) in front of what's an exterior wall. I knew going into this project that it was going to be complicated, due to the fairly exacting wall thickness requirements. I remember making up drawings of the exact dimensions of the drywall thickness, the tile and guesstimating at the thickness of the thinset, so as not to have the valve too far back or too far out. As it turned out, I didn't need to have worried quite as much, as the faucet and handle were somewhat adjustable. Whew! Still, if I had to do this again, I'm sure I'd worry about it again just as much. Also it's important to make sure the valve inside the wall is installed exactly level, so the faucet and handle(s) will be too. If you hire a plumber, you will need to know and communicate the thickness of your finished wall before the rough plumbing is installed.

I don't see a need for separate hot and cold handles other than for style reasons. It's just as easy with a single lever to choose either hot or cold.

Good luck!

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

Hi mrspete, sorry I messed up the terminology. What we have are "click-clack" touch drain plugs (what I called pop-up), we do not have the lever rod-based "pop-up" drain plugs (what I would call pull-up). DH prefers the rod-based plugs because you don't have to touch the plug to let the water out of the sink.

https://www.thebathoutlet.com/what-difference-between-pop-up-waste-click/discussion/709

The terms "pop-up waste" and "click-clack" are commonly used to describe the two different kinds of drain plugs found at the bottom of a sink basin or tub. In general, the purpose of drain plugs is to handle clogs or blockages that would otherwise compromise the efficiency of your drainage system. The difference between "pop-up" and "click-clack" waste is simply the way in which the drainage plug is opened and closed. The "pop-up" waste operates the drainage plug by lifting a lever, which is located directly behind the faucet, up and down. The "click-clack" waste doesn't involve any kind of lever system and is simply the drainage plug itself, which is operated by pushing it down (sometimes simultaneously turning it) in order to open and close the drainage plug. When the drainage plug pops up a "clack" is often heard and when pushed back down it makes a "click" sound, hence the origin of its name.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We
    just did a wall-mounted faucet as well, but with an undermount sink.
    The faucet was mounted approx 6" above the countertop,

I like the look of your set-up; it's exactly what was in my mind. Thanks for sharing, especially the pictures!

Most importantly, you will need a good quality
    faucet.

No matter what I do, I'm going with good quality, name brand faucets. Of all the things I don't want to go bad in my house, water-containing items are at the top of the list.

After that decision, we chose these particular faucets due to
    the the length of the spout.

How far does your faucet protrude from the wall? Stephemt, I'd like to hear the same answer about your layout. I'm leaning towards an undermount sink like Stephemt's. Does this make a difference?

That said, installing wall faucets is a lot
    more complicated then installing countertop faucets. In our case, we
    built a small pony wall (open at the bottom) in front of what's an
    exterior wall.

I think I'm into the pony wall -- it makes for a nice ledge. My sink will be placed against an interior wall, but the kitchen is on the opposite side; I can see the pony wall as a way to protect the plumbing /make it accessible -- am I thinking along the right lines? Thinking of function, would you do the pony wall again?
    If you hire a plumber, you will need
    to know and communicate the thickness of your finished wall before the
    rough plumbing is installed.

Oh, I'm hiring a plumber. I admire you for DIYing your bathroom, but that's pretty far outside my current skills set. I wouldn't have thought to let the plumber know ahead of time that the wall would be extra-thick -- valuable information! And thanks for the nice, clear shot of your faucet. Definitely helpful!

I don't see a need for separate hot and cold handles other than for
    style reasons. It's just as easy with a single lever to choose either
    hot or cold.

Personal preference.

What we have are
    "click-clack" touch drain plugs (what I called pop-up), we do not have
    the lever rod-based "pop-up" drain plugs (what I would call pull-up).

Okay, I understand the difference now. I've only ever had the rod-behind type and didn't really realize another option existed. Well, not since I lived in my grandparents' old, old house and we had plastic rubber "stoppers" that we placed over the drain.

I'm glad to recognize that options exist, but I think I don't care about this detail.

Many thanks to all!

• stephemt
    7 years ago

I believe ours protrudes from the wall approximately 7". We just got lucky with the sink/faucet placement. I measured a few times, but didn't know exactly where the drain would end up in relation to the faucet, and it worked out perfectly!

• Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago

Wall Mounted Service / Utility Sink, White Glazed Steel · More Info

Here is a white steel utility sink from Germany with a backsplash. It is much more reasonably priced at $249. It does not have holes for the faucet, but photos show the faucet just above the sink and it looks like it could work. It is "glazed steel with a navy blue PVC edge" so I cannot tell if that means enameled finish or not. You could try drilling holes for the faucet if it is not some kind of enamel finish that could crack.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/alape-bucket-sink?cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&kwid=productads-adid^71367229236-device^c-plaid^149185920036-sku^D0388-adType^PLA

• mrspete
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I
    believe ours protrudes from the wall approximately 7".

Thanks!

Here is a white steel utility sink from Germany with a backsplash

I like it, but it looks more laundry room than bathroom to me.

• enduring
    7 years ago

mine's about 6-3/4" from stone to the center of the outlet in the spout. When I built my sink I put the drain hole in the center. The faucet spout, I show above, is adjustable by several inches in and out. I drew the side view of the sink to scale, then projected the water coming from the spout (degree of angle from spout was in the specs) I then moved the spout in an out on paper to determine the length I needed to have the water, in real life, hit the center of the drain. I don't think that the water has to hit the drain, I just wanted it to. You want it out far enough so that you can get your hands within the stream so you aren't bumping your hands up against the sink back or sides. The height above the sink edge and counter is 3 inches. My sink is really deep at 9". I can really get my hands down in the sink to wash. My DH, who has the largest hands of anyone I know, never complains about this sink. In fact he has taken it over as "his bathroom", even after I finished the 2nd bathroom. I would call this sink a small laundry or mudroom sink. This room was planned to double as a full guest bath/mudroom, here on the farm, near the backdoor out to the barn.

Click on the images to get the full vertical view. GW cuts out a lot of the image, as it likes to have a horizontal format, though these pics are taken vertically.

• Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago

Enduring, I imagine that your hubby's preference for the sink you made yourself is very satisfying. (As was having the nice, warm tiled room to provide nursing care to the little calf!)

Mrs. Pete, I agree about the steel sink. Seems to fit a rustic style to me, but if you click on the "more info" link under the photo, people are using it in bathrooms. Because they show it in multiples, I wonder if they are restaurant or other businesses, though. The water hitting the bottom could be noisy for a bathroom next to the bedroom.

• PRO
    DecorativeClassics
    7 years ago

Getting ready to do the very same thing, here (wall mount lavatory faucet in back splash) and during the process, I was lucky enough to find Bounty Brassware's beeeautiful 'Pop Down' drain. Much nicer features than the click-clack, pop up and tilt to drain types.. have a look at their website and explanatory videos, Houzz is even running a special on their [chrome model[(https://www.houzz.com/products/patented-pop-down-drain-polished-chrome-fully-finished-prvw-vr~56968551) now, and see if you agree.

Finding Bounty while looking at a slew of drains for a well built (solidly built, not plastic 'plated' zinc or zamac) we also realized it's nearly impossible to find one without the manufacturer's logo emblazoned across the top. Yee. Not so with Bounty. The fact that the pop-down stopper recedes into the drain to engage instead of popping up is not only more sleek and pleasing, but also makes it much harder to lose anything 'down the drain.' Win - win - win. Also, it comes in 10 different finishes, with many 'enduro' (pvd) options.

While shopping for drains I learned that many sinks specs erroneously state they are made for 1 1/4" waste (through hole) when the actual in lots of cases is 1 5/8". Important to know exact measurements, so as not to shop in vain. Bounty's pop-down drain also has the well thought out ability to fit both sinks with overflow and without and they're also now offering 'pop-down' bath tub drains.

As choices like this are often the finishing touches on a jobsite, discovering these products was akin to stumbling upon a new jewelry store. By now it sounds like I do their p.r., but I really am just a newly minted drain purchaser. Can't wait for our new drain to arrive so I can install and review it- simply genius design. Had to share.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    7 years ago

mine's about 6-3/4" from stone to the center of the outlet in the spout.

Excellent -- not much difference in that and 7", so now I have an idea of what's a comfortable size.

I agree about the steel sink. Seems to fit a rustic style to me,

Looks like what we used to have at summer camp -- that's not a bad thing, but it doesn't fit in with the look I have in mind.

I was lucky enough to find Bounty Brassware's beeeautiful 'Pop Down' drain.

Very cool, but the least expensive model's $150. Amazon sells drains -- probably inferior drains -- for $10-20. I don't think I'm THAT interested in this detail.