Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loytha

What is underneath the pizza oven?

Loytha V
11 years ago
Is it a fireplace? Or is it wood storage?

Thank you!
Gary Earl Parsons, Architect · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Gary Earl Parsons, Architect
    11 years ago
    Hi,
    Yes that is a fireplace. The entire brick object is heated by the fire and gives off heat for hours. I had a fire in it for 45 minutes at 9 in the morning and still could (and did) cook pizzas in the pizza oven at 2 in the afternoon. It is a scandinavian design. Isokern.
  • Loytha V
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Great! This is exactly what we want to install in our home. Can you tell me how it functions? How did you build it so that they are centered with the pizza oven on top of the fireplace? Where is the chimney diverted? Also, how deep did you need to build it. I know, many questions! We've been having trouble finding our answers in our small town. Thank you!
  • PRO
    Gary Earl Parsons, Architect
    11 years ago
    I am going to put you in touch with the owner, who was the champion of the masonry heater (as it is called): Paul Brumbaum pbrumbaum@earthlink.net
    The chimney is in the back of the unit and we did some shenanigans to make it look like it doesn't have one. The heater comes in kit form and is very cool. Once you light a fire the exit for the combustion gases is very circuitous, thus all of the heat is given to warming the masonry and most of the particulates are left in the heater and don't go up the chimney and into the atmosphere.... Paul loves to talk about it.....