Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen4six

Look over my master suite reno plans please!

dietitian
7 years ago

Hi! I will be adding space to my master suite. The area with the bed will be added. The bathroom currently exists in that space as do the closets. I will be changing the layout of the bathroom but the footprint will remain as is. Current bedroom is becoming an office/exercise room. Any input appreciated!

Comments (19)

• cpartist
    7 years ago

That's quite a long trek in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I would put the bedroom in the corner between the two rooms (meaning put the exercise room/office where the bedroom is now and the bedroom where the exercise/office room is.) This way the trek to the bathroom isn't as far or as convoluted.

Additionally do you want such a small shower?

Do you really need a 13' vanity? I would want a larger shower vs such a long vanity.

And your toilet closet is not long enough at 4'3". I wouldn't do a toilet closet that is less than 5' long and that's minimum.

How deep is his closet?

• dietitian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My husband has a job that includes being on call nights & weekends. I put bedroom away from closets & bath for this reason- I hate being woken by him early morning while he showers & dresses! Right now I don't have middle of night bathroom trips... I suppose as we age that might be a consideration. Bed is currently where exercise is in the plan. Bed kinda sticks out too far into middle of room, which is another reason I want to move the bedroom to the other room. Toilet closet too small? Ok I will work on that. Vanity will likely be a 72" and I will increase shower & linen closet based on what we think we need. His closet isn't very deep- I think it is 48". Instead of increasing closet space, I put closets between study & bedroom wall (opening in study room) to house our shoes. This will free up space in closets somewhat.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just checked- the 13'6" is the entire width of the space, not the width of the vanity.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i played around- what do you think? where the toilet closet had been, i placed an armoire instead of a sheet rocked closet. i like that better. toilet closet is a little bigger. i would also save space by doing a wall mount with the water flushing in the wall, so that allows for less space i believe. shower entry would be on the long side.. not sure if that is ok.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

since I'm under the weather and can't sleep.... here is another alternative :

• dietitian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

good point on the germ situation with the door. Perhaps I will just have an opening without a door. The current shower size is 40" x 30" and honestly it's fine I like a smaller shower because if it's too big it's cold in there, no? Can someone tell me the advantage to having a larger shower?

• dietitian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i feel like this works best: I got rid of the sliding door for the toilet... or, i suppose I could leave it but not really use it unless there is an unusual circumstance.. Not sure. Either way, there is privacy is someone is using the toilet. vanity is still 72". Linen closet is 24" wide and 30" deep. shower is 48" x 36" which is larger than my current 40 x 30. glass side will help it feel more open when you walk in. tub is on the smaller side, but it is there for resale. we don't bathe. closets remain the same sizes. Storage in exercise area. I switched the closets between study and bedroom to be on the far wall instead, with the desk in between the closets. This makes more sense, frees up space for a little settee. Moved the door to bedroom to be closer to entrance of suite, which essentially also make it closer to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night (just in case I need that as I age lol). OF NOTE: I am trying to put the bathroom vanity where it is because that is where there is currently a skylight above it and I thought it would be so nice to have natural light coming down on me in the morning when I brush my teeth. Currently a huge tub is there and we don't get to appreciate it. I added a window to the toilet room- good idea or not? I'd have an exhaust fan in ceiling as well. I moved the window in the study room to be in the middle of the room above the desk area so that it will appear symmetric with the closets on either side. All input appreciated! GW was so helpful with my kitchen, I love having everyone as a resource!

• roarah
    7 years ago

My shower is3.6x 5.5 feet roughly, so not too big but above average and I love it. I am not cold ever in it and my room never steams up while using it. the steam stays in the enclosure. I love being able to step out of the water to shave, condition etc. and I can move freely around too. I do have water sources on two sides which helps keep it warm I suppose. I also love having a freestanding stool to sit on or place my foot on to shave. My larger shower with jets, 18 inch rain can and hand held wand are my favorite part of my bathroom addition. I like it more than any soaking tub I have ever used.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

roarah thank you. should i just get rid of the tub altogether? or bad idea for resale. not planning on leaving any time in the near future.

• roarah
    7 years ago

No, you have plenty of room to have a tub, good size shower and toilet room. I only omitted a tub in my design for my 1920s house has limited closet space so I used the tub square footage to add needed storage. But if I had the room to have it all, tub, good size storage and shower I would have added a tub for sure. You have plenty of room to have it all so you should have it all if budget permits.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

what do you think of this?

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Is resale a concern for you? I think this layout will be terrible for resale.

My husband gets up around 4:30 for work. He puts his clothes in the hall bath at night and showers there in the morning as to not disturb me.

You'd save a lot of money now and also in your future sale if you just have him change up his work day routine. A corner master bedroom with dual exposure that's close to the en suite is hugely desirable, what you're proposing is not.

If you'd entertain alternate plan ideas...Can you post a sketch of the whole floor so we can see the existing master suite and the rooms around it?

• Karenseb
    7 years ago

I wonder if you kept the bedroom in it's original location and put the office and exercise room on the right, you could add a new doorway to the bath/closet area in the small closet near the main hallway. That way your husband could use the exercise room and bathroom without going through the master.

• Christina Prakash
    7 years ago

I completely understand your need for a bathroom that is well away from the bedroom because I am in the same situation. You are very lucky to have such a large space to work with. I can see why you have located the rooms where you have. As far as the bathroom, I prefer showers. I think most people do. I would much rather have a large shower and no tub. A tub that isn't used still needs to be cleaned because it collects dust. If you have a tub somewhere else in the house that should be good enough for most buyers. If you put the shower where the tub is and make the shower as large as a tub a future owner could always replace the shower. I have had large and small showers. I wouldn't want a shower smaller than 36" wide or deep. I don't like bumping my elbows or head if I bend over to pick up soap off the floor. Another good reason to have a larger shower is to make it fit the size of your house-for resale.

Finally, when moving windows you must take into consideration what it will look like from the outside. Moving plumbing is a relatively expensive part of bathroom remodels. I'd try to keep some of it in the same location. Just my thoughts.

• dietitian
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank you all for the comments! here is a layout incorporating the idea of having the bedroom closer to bath area, but still helping me keep my husband out of my way when he gets up in the middle of the night to go to work. I have made a foyer of sorts by taking back some odd space in the hallway which is essentially useless anyway. I would need the architect to agree that it wouldn't look to odd from downstairs though (foyer open to upstairs). I drew the other bedrooms so you have an idea of the hallway, but drawing is approximate. there is an angular wall opposite the angular wall that would house the door to the master bedroom, so it might look symmetrical and be ok. Our stairs stairs are at an angle to the house, which irks me! But I digress.

christina- the shower pictured is 36" x 48". I am thinking to put a japanese round soaking tub which would be less space.

benjesbride- I have 4 kids sleeping while he leaves... he would just wake them up by using the hall bath. and he would also say no to that suggestion lol.

In the next post I will put a photo of our actual plans of the house I got from the township so you can see the layout as it is.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

Makes sense. My littles are deep sleepers; literally have slept through jackhammering below their bedroom windows before.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This seems extreme because it involves moving the bathroom entirely. However, it looks like there's a bit more space to create a master suite with small entryway using the other room. Added bonus is that the bathroom doesn't share a common wall with a kids room. I imagine this would be a nice layout for a couple who works different shifts; the closet should muffle bathroom noise...

• Christina Prakash
    7 years ago

Also, there are ways to soundproof walls. Just adding insulation will help. Just another thing to research. Some types of doors are better at keeping noise out. I can't remember if it is solid wood or solid core (not the same as hollow core). Good luck.