Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stu2900

No window over kitchen sink?

stu2900
7 years ago

We are in the planning stages of remodeling our kitchen. Because I'd like to enlarge the laundry room , I may have to lose the window over the sink. Is this a good idea? The window would face west and we will have large windows and a slider on the north wall. Or, should I forgo enlarging my small laundry room to save the kitchen window? This is the beginning of a remodel of half our house, so you may be hearing a lot from me.

Comments (22)

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Can you post a floor plan as it is now, including the laundry room?

West windows aren't so great because of the heat from the late afternoon sun.

• debbie12153
    7 years ago

do we really spend that much time in front of the kitchen sink now days? Personally, if I needed a larger laundry area, I'd give up the window.

• josephene_gw
    7 years ago

Bob Vila said you need a window over the sink while you chop veggies.

OLD FASHION. I would not hesitate to close off the window.

• cooper8828
    7 years ago

My sink is on an interior wall. I have metal sunflowers behind it so I get to see flowers year-round!

• Miranda33
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a huge window in my kitchen, but the sink is not in front of it. My sink faces a wall. That's what worked with my plumbing and layout, and I've never regretted it. For the small amount of hand-washing I am doing, I am not gazing out the window while I am doing it - I am looking down at the thing I am washing both to make sure I am getting it clean, and to get it over with quickly.

In front of my kitchen's window is the table where we eat almost all meals. I can gaze out to my heart's content while sipping morning coffee or lngering over dessert.

• dcward89
    7 years ago

We lived in 2 apartments and our first house with no window over the sink...moved to current home with big window over the sink...will never go back if I can help it.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The cabinets were replaced 10 years ago and we're going to reuse them. The wall to the right will swing around to the wall facing you (west wall), minus the corner cabinets. The wall to the left will stay where it is. then there will be a contrasting island in front of the west wall. The 6' x 7.5' laundry room is right behind the west wall. The door won't open all the way because of the ironing board. (Yes, I iron occasionally.) If the laundry room is extended the 4' we're talking about we'll lose the sink window. I will try to figure out how to post the tentative plan for the new kitchen.

t

• practigal
    7 years ago

Please post a floor plan-as is and -as proposed. Will there be any appliances in the island?

• kelleg69
    7 years ago

I would definitely go for the bigger laundry room. I have my sink on my island and our only windows are in the breakfast area. I have had a sink under a window and a prep sink on island. I never stood at big sink and looked out--or at least not so much that I would sacrifice the space in the laundry room.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Well, true. If there's nothing to look at, a window is not as important.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I don't have a great view out of my sink window (my small backyard and neighbor's house beyond the fence). However, my sink is adjacent to my prep area and stove, and I don't think I'd be happy without a window there.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Please keep in mind this is me playing with a program I found online, but it pretty much shows what we're trying to do with the kitchen. We're extending most of the back of the house 12', so this is just the beginning. We have 2.5 acres that we maintain and the yard is very pretty, if I do say so myself. Moving the sink however would give me a lovely view of part of a garden and the pole barn.

• rantontoo
    7 years ago

I'm trying to get my sink AWAY from the window in my upcoming remodel....I would rather have a prep space in front of a window than the sink....less splatters to clean off the window.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

I posted a thread a while back asking why people are so set on a window over the sink. I don't personally gaze out the window when I'm at the sink as I need to actually look at what I'm doing in the sink! I don't get how people stand at a sink and don't look down. I get the need for light but I don't think a window on the sink wall is the law of the land.

If there are still windows or a nice bright skylight then that should do the trick

Sink thread

• dan1888
    7 years ago

Back before dishwashers every evening after dinner two people would stand at the double sink washing and drying all the family dishes and meal prep pots/pans. That was back in the days of 4+ kid families. So it took awhile. Families have changed and having a dishwasher now is the big change. One person can load in minutes for usually a smaller size family. A large single bowl sink is more often the norm and windows oriented for where everyone spends time can give a better return.

• Bunny
    7 years ago

Here's the deal with a window. It's not just for gazing out at the trees and sky while you carelessly slice open your finger cutting carrots. It lets in light!!! Light is life. The area in my kitchen where I spend 95% of my time (water+prep+stove) has a window. It illuminates the counter from dawn to dusk. I love being able to work in my kitchen without having to turn a light on. And it's not really about the view, it's the connection to outside and beyond.

• friedajune
    7 years ago

Linelle - you make a great point about natural light in the kitchen. But the OP indicated that if she loses the window at the sink in order to enlarge the laundry room, she will still "have large windows and a slider on the north wall".

• Bunny
    7 years ago

Friedajune, then that's a good compromise for her. I can think of plenty of nice kitchens where there isn't a window over the sink but ample natural light close by and they are wonderful spaces.

• stu2900
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all your input! Linelle-I totally agree with you about light being life, which is why I'm so excited to have a wall of glass in the new remodel there may also be a skylight, we haven't made that decision yet. I feel better about not having a window over the sink. I'm asking everyone's opinion on this project. I'll make up my own mind in the end, but I haven't even looked at new kitchens lately so I value all opinions. This forum was a great help to me with our small remodel 10 years ago. This is a much larger undertaking, so I think I'll be here and in the bathrooms forum a lot. Thanks all!

• mrspete
    7 years ago

It seems to me that the question is, Do you value the kitchen or the laundry room more highly?

I'd choose light in the kitchen every time. I agree with the posters who say it's not about gazing out the window while you cook; rather, it's about letting in light and making the room lovely and inviting.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Where is the laundry room? Does it double as a mud room or any other room?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022