Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evierh

Remodeled Bathroom .. less floor/door clearance for floor rugs/mats :(

evierh
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I just had my main bathroom redone, and the thickness of the new Durock under the floor tile is enough to make it impossible for to put my pretty rugs/mats down again, because there isn't enough clearance for the doors to swing open! Any suggestions for thinner, but luxurious & non-skid floor mats, that feel nice underfoot .. and come in a variety of pastel colors?

Comments (27)

• acm
    7 years ago

I have the same thing in my bathroom -- you have to pick between having the door shut tightly when closed and having clearance beyond. I suspect there's nothing thin enough -- try layers of placemats and see how many you get to before it hits...

• evierh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@acm - the problem is that the shower door is at right angles to one of the bathroom access doors .. so that's where a mat needs to be. I never thought this would be a problem, maybe that's why they didn't use Durock when the bathroom was redone years ago. The clearance between the tile & door is 5/8" .. more than I thought, but not enough for the standard bathroom rug/mat.

• acm
    7 years ago

maybe you can hang the bath mat when not in use? we always do that, for improved drying and to keep our shoes (etc) off of it. I thought you mean regular rugs, like in front of the sink...

• orangecamera
    7 years ago

Have you considered shaving some material off the bottom of the door?

• acm
    7 years ago

Yes, that's the option that involves a less tight fit of the door -- that is, a gap underneath it when closed. But it could be a good option.

• evierh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Especially for a bathroom, I wouldn't want to shave anything off the bottom of the doors, to make users feel uncomfortable using the toilet in complete privacy.

• Wendy
    7 years ago

We shaved the bottom of the door when we remodeled to allow for a rug. It was fine. No one is going to feel less private over a half inch or so on the bottom.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I never have rugs on the floor in the bathroom just a bath mat over the edge of the tub when not in use ,IMO why create more laundry than is needed

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

The "simplest" solution is to take down the door, shave a bit off the bottom and rehang it. It is fiddly, annoying work...but it deals with all your issues at once.

Good luck. See if the people who did the remodel will help you out with this simple/annoying little chore. Throw some decent money at them...see if they'll take it on.

• acm
    7 years ago

Also, find out whether the door is solid or hollow -- the outcome can be a shock otherwise.

evierh thanked acm
  • orangecamera
    7 years ago

The floor is higher, the door is the same. Which means there used to be a gap at the bottom of the door before the floor was raised. I'm looking around my house and all my doors have gaps under them. Isn't that common?

• evierh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There's a difference between having a gap between the door & floor, and door & saddle. There's a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the door & saddle now, so by shaving off another 1/4", that gap becomes 1/2" .. a lot more obvious. The rug/mat doesn't butt against the door, so that wouldn't camouflage a gap at all.

I'm pretty sure the doors are hollow, which can make shaving anything off problematic.

I'm surprised that no one actually answered my question, about a luxurious but thin mat to use instead.

• orangecamera
    7 years ago
    I would answer about a luxurious thin mat if I had any ideas. The only thin mat I can think of wouldn't be luxurious. Here's my only idea, but I don't claim it's a good one: a thick bath towel laid on the floor, which would be thicker than the towel-like purpose-made mats.
  • evierh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've actually found a few mats that have a memory foam core, and are only 1/2" thick, on the Bed, Bath & Beyond website .. but there a lot fewer choice colors, than the rug-like mats that are part of a towel set. The search continues..

• acm
    7 years ago

Yes, I figured it was almost an oxymoronic request, which is why I (among others) tried to find alternative solutions...

• User
    7 years ago

I also suggest the kind that you put down to step on out of the shower (Like there is in hotel rooms). From what you say, anyone using the bathroom has to step on the mat to get to the loo and, if they have shoes on, the mat will just get dirty. Not so much fun to step on when you've just gotten clean...

• evierh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@acm - I only began looking online, when no one made any suggestions for a store/website/manufacturer of thinner bath mats/rugs. Had I wanted to cut down the doors, I wouldn't have posted any question about thinner bath mats/rugs.

• PRO
    Dream Home Finishers
    7 years ago

Prehung doors come from assembly with 1- 1 1/4" off the floor. The standard practice, speaking as a life long finish carpenter and having installed literally thousands of doors, is what ever you remove from the jamb you remove from the door bottom. Hollow core doors come with blocking, usually about 1 1/2" in the bottom to accommodate for some minor downsizing of door bottom. 1/4" gap to floor is not acceptable practice but to each his own. Good luck in your search for a thin matt

• apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

IME, the vast majority of new bath mats are quite thick. There are some inexpensive polyester or nylon thin ones at Target and Big Lots that may be compressible when you open the door. In general, the thinner, the cheaper. Look in the $15-$20 price range for a 22 by 34 inch mat.

Another option is a terrycloth cotton bath mat that you fling over the shower door when finished. It may need a nonslip rug gripper, perhaps sewn to the back.

• vandorf
    7 years ago
    Is it possible to change the swing of the door?
  • evierh
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sheesh .. maybe I'll put the house on the market, and find another that already has the right door clearance! ALL I WANTED WAS LEADS ON NICE BATHROOM MATS < 1/2" THICK.

• orangecamera
    7 years ago
    If you can't raise the bridge, you lower the river.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Por the love of PETE!!! Take a half inch from the bottom of the door! A very sharp blade on the cheapest hollow core with a planing saw and done by a contractor? You needn't even remove the door! BZZZZZZZ . Perfection! It's commonplace beyond belief! Frankly, the only time most bath doors are closed is when the bath is actually in use. Nobody, including you will notice the "gap" . Buy any rug you want. I know of no bath mats/rugs other than the ugly shags that mat and trap dust, that are thicker than a half inch! : )

• hatetoshop
    7 years ago

I've always liked the look of oriental runners/rugs in bathrooms. Perhaps they are thin enough?

Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

Riverhouse · More Info

• Jennifer Furioli
    3 years ago

late to comment, but i’m dealing with the same problem. What about that brand chiliwich?

• Gomez Emily
    5 months ago

You really need a good ultra-thin bathroom mat. How about this https://amzn.to/46LDJw3 ? The thickness is only 0.1 inch, so it won't get stuck in the door and you will never trip over it, and the rubber backing on the back has a great anti-slip effect and is also super absorbent.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living