Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexschv

Need help with living room

lexschv
7 years ago
I'd greatly appreciate suggestions on a floor lamp for my living room. I'd like it to "connect" with the chandelier in the adjacent dining room, which is aged brass, but I'd consider other finishes.

I attached links of some of the floor lamps I've been considering. The ceiling is 8 ft high, the room is south facing so doesn't get a lot of light, I would need to add a table lamp. Although I like the first lamp I am concerned that 54" high is too short for the space, I feel like it needs more height in the room?

I would also love suggestions on artwork and a large mirror to pull the room together. Thank you!

http://www.shopcandelabra.com/robert-abbey-edwin-floor-lamp-2
57 inches- 2 100w

http://www.shopcandelabra.com/dimond-whitecrane-floor-lamp
72"H x 48"w- 100w (E26 halogen bulb)

http://www.shopcandelabra.com/regina-andrew-le-chic-gold-floor-lamp
66" h 2-75 watt

http://www.uttermost.com/p-6710-newburgh.aspx?EID=119&EN=Category
76"h, 150w

Comments (28)

• User
    7 years ago

Let's get the New Year started right... lower your art over the sofa ;)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Beautiful seating and rug. I would do a black shade floor lamp and find black frame for artwork as well as lowering to about 5" over back of settee. Love that dining room fixture. I will post some ideas.
  • User
    7 years ago

Maybe add this pillow to the sofa;)

Green Gunmetal Beaded 18"x18" Velvet Pillows Cover, Chartreuse Spill · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

The call it a "mustard gold" liner, so it just might be fantastic!

• lexschv
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks Flo, I love the lamp you suggest, but it is over my budget and I have a credit with an online SC retailer Shopcandleabra.com that I need to use (or forfeit 30% restocking fee) and they don't carry that light. I have attached a photo with a similar light they do carry with an oval black shade and copper liner, for about $500. I'd appreciate thoughts on it. I think the room still needs an additional side table I attached a photo of one I like although it may be too busy. We use the room primarily for entertaining-the wall unit has a drop down bar/ desk on the right. I also attached photos of the other lights I've been considering, but I think you are right the black/ gold combo would look best.

• lexschv
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Another light and side table
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I surely understand that credit deal. I think the first one, Robert Abby I like best. Small round table might be a bit too much. Might be better for something really small. I just saw one that might work. Or do you need to stay with this supplier?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

small accent tables · More Info
    These were just put on sale in the Ballard's catalog. I could see that short one or any of them really. Just enough to set a drink for a guest. Sure can't beat the price! I have seen a darling one similar to these in size in aged gold and the table top is a lily pad. So cute. But it was pricey!

• lexschv
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Flo, I can get the table from a different source. I saw this one which is pretty simple, 16"w although not sure about introducing glass into the mix. I plan to relocate the small wood table and lamp in the pics to a different room in the house.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Very cute. What is size? Will it be too big?

• lexschv
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Flo, it is 26" high and 16" wide.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I think that height is good with the height of arms of your furniture.
  • tedbixby
    7 years ago

I have several lamps with black shades and the light shines up and down rather than casting out into the room so if you decide to go with a black shade you may want to keep that in mind.

Robert Abbey Magellan Antique Brass Floor Lamp · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I think in this space, the drama of the black is very desirable, especially since this is used mainly for entertaining.

• lexschv
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone. Hmm I hadn't thought about that with the black shade. The room does need more light and I don't necessarily want to go into the expense of adding a ceiling light and it might not look right considering the age of the house and low (8ft) ceilings.

I agree the lamp with a black shade would add drama but I'd need to layer it with other light sources I think. It's the first room you walk into in our house (l attached photos of the opposite side of the room- I plan on painting the table by the door.).

I also need to find a light for the top of the stairway, which I could coordinate with the living room light directly below. I'll post photos of a few I've been considering. The upstairs hallway ceiling is pretty ugly and choppy with a skylight.
  • lexschv
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Additional photos...
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I like the "Flower" shaped one. The Lantern is too traditional for your space, IMO. I think the information on the white shade vs. black is good. I just like a bit of black. Also, with layered lighting, you can always have just the amount you want at any given mood. Dimmers!

• User
    7 years ago

cyclerama- I think your hallway light needs a bit more glam than those you show. Maybe something like this;)

Marya 4-Light Antique Copper Beaded Drum Semi Flush Mount Crystal Chandelier Gla · More Info

Semi-Flush Mount French Empire Crystal Chandelier Crystal · More Info

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

Cerro Spuntik - Mid-Century Modern Flush Mount *Ready to ship in brass · More Info

Nimbus · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Check out the latest catalog from Shades of Light. Lots of interesting options.
  • lexschv
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions. I wanted to share a photo of a light I am trying right now in the space as well as art work I am considering for over the sofa- they would be in espresso wood floater frames. I am not sure if the floor lamp has enough "umph" for the space- it is 62" height and about 17"'d. I like the marble base but it isn't as heavy (tip proof) as I would have expected. The light output is pretty good- equivalent of about 120w. I have a table lamp on the opposite side of the room. I would love to hear your thoughts or other suggestions. The floor lamp is from West Elm so can easily be returned for an exchange/ refund. Thanks!
  • Muskokatana
    7 years ago
    omg yes flo. ditto on her terrific taste plus that lamp! sigh
  • Muskokatana
    7 years ago
    I worked in television where many lamps are black shaded for glare reduction on video. Hence I have had many over the years. I just use incredibly bright bulbs and count on it bouncing off the ceiling.Bright indirect light is flattering and energizing.
  • lexschv
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone for all these great suggestions. Months later and I am still trying to find the right floor lamp for my living room- I finished putting up the art so the room is coming together. I liked Flo's suggestion of the Hadley floor lamp, however I was concerned about the light limitations of a black shade. Now the same light comes with an ivory shade (see pics) my only concern is that the lamp might compete with the other unique elements in the room. http://www.shopcandelabra.com/arteriors-hadley-floor-lamp-ivory-shade

The other two lamps I've been looking at are a brass arc lamp- not sure it is the right size for the space: http://www.shopcandelabra.com/robert-abbey-archer
    -floor-lamp-brass
    and one that has an interesting navy faux leather - the art I found has a strong navy element in it. Again, not sure if this would compete/ look right with the other elements in the room but I like the simplicity of the lamp combined with the unexpected color and texture (leather). http://www.shopcandelabra.com/robert-abbey-anna-floor-lamp-1

I attached a current photo of the space- I plan to change up the pillows and table decor for winter and probably need to add a table lamp on the table by the front door. Thanks for any suggestions!
  • lexschv
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oops here a photo of the room with new art.