Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
giddyupvj

Window seat needs cozy factor - help?,

Val
11 years ago
We have a window seat that has just been redone since we changed our room colors. I made a dark brown valance to match the bedskirt, but am missing the softness I had with the curtains in the before picture. I am including some pics of the rest of the room so you can see the colors I'm working with. Without a huge budget, any suggestions on what I can do to make this a cozy spot again, besides the obvious need for more pillows? I'm having a hard time finding pillows in the same red as the comforter.

First pic is before, next is the valance I made. Third shows the comforter colors, and last was an interim trial to see if putting the curtains that match the front window curtains would work - really didn't like the scalloped valance...

Comments (11)

• User
    11 years ago
    I would try light green curtains with the valance you made. Since you sew can you make pillows the red you want by taking the comforter to the fabric store.
  • Val
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @NJ Accents: I see where you were going there. I do think the before picture with the dark paper on the lower half of the wall is part of what framed out the space. I have taken some new pics of the latest thing I tried, plus I did find some pillows that may work...here's the latest attempt. I need to re-cover the valance with the material from the curtains. And I may tie them back slightly...still playing with it.

I'm torn about the green band on the valance now. I liked it offset when I was just doing the valance, but now that I added the curtains, I'm wondering if it would be better to move it to center, make it wider, or maybe lose it altogether? The reason I added it in the first place was to tie it to the fabric on the seat. Any thoughts?
  • Val
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Carolina Photo to Go - I did try the green curtains like the ones in the front window, which I love, but thought I needed to go with something else since I did the seat in green. What do you think of the latest picture above? Am I heading in the right direction? And I would love your thoughts on the green band too...
  • laurae1967
    11 years ago
    Why did you choose brown and green when your bedding is burgundy? The seat fabric (country) seems to be a completely different look than the bedding, curtains and pillow (more formal). I would try to complement your bedding more by choosing a seat cushion, pillows and curtains that complement the look and color of your bedding...perhaps burgundy, sage, and beige pillows that have some pattern or texture. You are a very talented sewer and your valance looks very professional! Like the dark brown, just not in that space.
  • PRO
    Roseann Mortali
    11 years ago
    Can you move the valance to the ceiling height? I think the wall space above your valance is a little distracting. Since you are quite talented with sewing, you may consider making a roman shade in the green fabric with a brown border and mount in place of shades or mount over shades and just have a nonfunctional shade with you existing shades behind. What about adding some molding (to look like raised panel) to wall below the window seat and painting white to match the trim color? I also wish the window seat cushion was a couple inches thicker. So far you are doing a great job!
  • Val
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Laurae 1967: I really wanted to have some green in the room and thought I could bring some in with the pillows on the bed and the wall art I made. The windows seat fabric isn't country in my opinion, but some may think it is. So would you change the valance color? I am still playing with it and am posting some pics of today's attempts. I appreciate the comments...thanks!
  • Val
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Roseanne: I did actually push the valance to the ceiling, but then you could see the top of the shades, which I didn't like. But then your suggestion of adding roman shades would solve that issue. I had thought of roman shades before, but wasn't sure of how to do them. And I love the idea of the raised panels. I have been searching Houzz for ideas there, but most window seats I have seen have what look like fake drawer fronts which look great, but I'm not sure how to achieve it on mine.
    The thing is, my seat is higher than most window seats and I think it makes it more difficult to copy some of the ideas I've seen here. Always appreciate the help on this forum though...thanks!
  • diana55
    11 years ago
    leave valance style the way it is and mount to ceiling, leave side panels. I think if change paint color on the front of the window seat below cushion and put some trim to make it more decorative i think would look awesome or even waynescoating i think i spelled that right
  • laurae1967
    11 years ago
    I noticed on second look that you have brown in your bedding so I guess it all makes sense. I like the idea of beadboard or wainscoting on the bench front or even the sides. Wish I could sew like you! Very talented!!
  • Val
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Laurae! I will post more pics as this project evolves... :o)