Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawberries_and_cream_03

Dining room help

Louisa7
7 years ago
Hi everyone! I REALLY need some advice for what I can do with our dining room (style it up/add some interesting features/break up the brown etc).
I do have some canvas paintings on the way which I will put one in between the windows, but apart from that... I'm stuck!
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance! :)
Louise

Comments (41)

• haephestus
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What are you aiming for? The lamp post is a strong indication of a "Parisian" theme, but I'm not sure much else in the room supports that.

What style are the canvas paintings which you'll be adding to the room?

Do you have or are you getting window coverings? That could help soften the harder edges of the room if you're aiming for a softer, more romantic, Parisian style.

Probably one of the easiest, quickest and cheapest options if you don't like the brown would be to simply repaint one or more of the walls yourself. Or maybe add a feature "stripe" wall similar to the following:

[https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/kangaroo-point-apartment-contemporary-living-room-brisbane-phvw-vp~46112931[(https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/kangaroo-point-apartment-contemporary-living-room-brisbane-phvw-vp~46112931)

• Sammy Elder
    7 years ago

Hi Louisa, have you considered a rug for under the table? It would add texture and warmth to the space. Curtains would add some softness to the room and provide a contrast against all the hard materials. Both curtains and rug could be included within the bounds of your existing colour scheme if you are keen on all neutrals or used to bring more colour into the space.

• Louisa7
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi haephestus, thank you for your advice! I'm not really sure of the style to be honest.. I tend to just put in things that I like haha. I have attached a photo of one of the canvases that I think I will put up there. I like the idea of the wallpaper as well. Maybe on the right wall..

Thanks Humarlen! I think I will add a rug now. Any colour suggestion? Cheers :)
  • JE C
    7 years ago
    Hi...i think the room is nice without too much "stuff" and the windows and mirror already dress the walls but a neutral toned rug under the table would work. Maybe a larger pendant light, but I would also be guided by the look of the adjacent area.
  • Sammy Elder
    7 years ago

Hi Louisa, you could add pretty much any colour you like with what you already have. The important thing is that you (and whoever you live with) love the finished space and enjoy spending time there. I have attached a couple of random options, but as I said, pick something you love. Just make sure the rug is big enough that the chairs legs won't catch on it when people get up from the table.

Louisa7 thanked Sammy Elder
  • Vy
    7 years ago

• Vy
    7 years ago

• Vy
    7 years ago

• Vy
    7 years ago

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    Louisa, you need to start some idea books here on Houzz and start saving photos of what you love. That will give you and us ideas of what you like.
  • bigreader
    7 years ago
    And it kills me to say it, because I love white, but I think the trims should be the same colour as the wall. The white just doesn't look right.
  • cloudpants
    7 years ago
    Wow! Look at the positives you have to work with. The room and ceiling height are of grand scale. Therefore, I think you need to consider this with regard to furniture and fittings. A long, impressive table with large rug underneath and big, eyecatching chandelier would go a long way in capturing the beauty of this room.
    Louisa7 thanked cloudpants
  • Louisa7
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone! :) Going shopping for rugs today and will also see what is out there in terms of lighting. I know the garden light is a bit out of place, but I love it :P Instead of painting the window trims brown, should I paint the wall white instead? Also, what do you think of some sort of garden wall, or no? Anyway, I will have a look at some more photos on here :) Thank you so much for your help!

• petapea
    7 years ago

I agree with oskuee, the table looks alittle lost in that beautiful large room- I would also consider changing the chairs as their colour needs to contrast more from the table and wall colour, so perhaps you could paint or reupholster in a lighter fabric (or even go darker!), or replace chairs with a more modern design if you want things to look more contemporary. Examples below.

• petapea
    7 years ago

• petapea
    7 years ago

Ps. Your room also begs for a large potted plant/palm, perhaps under the mirror there somewhere. :-)

• KK1000
    7 years ago

Just answering questions. No I would not paint walls white ,the room is to big it would look like a big white elephant but if your windows are black you could paint woodwork black. Get a large table twice the size of yours but in lighter colour and modern chairs. Don't waste time going around the shops looking for rugs, do it on line first to find out what you like and save images, when you have good idea of what you want then go out armed with measurements, colours, and style you want. You could get a nice pot and plant a giant bird of paradise in it, it will give you the height you need , make sure pot is large and stands out.

• Louisa7
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    A big pot is a great idea!!! Thank you so much :) I am out shopping at the moment so will go look at some now. I agree with all the comments, definitely need some greenery. I am also thinking of putting in some plantation blinds for the windows as well, we have them in the rest of the house.
  • PRO
    Nelson Interior Stylists
    7 years ago

Hi There

What an amazing space, i love it but i think it just needs a warn touch.

You have the bones of an amazing space that can really display the WOW factor.

I think you need to lighten and brighten up the space by greenery and light decore pots and so on.

The rug under the table is great but could be an issue if you have kids.

Would love to see you finished product

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    if you put white plantation shutters then no need to paint anything. Have a look Coco republic for inspiration.
  • User
    7 years ago

Here is my design idea for the room. I made the walls white and changed the door on the side. To give you some perspective...

• User
    7 years ago

Here is one with your lamp post which goes really well with the white walls:

• Louisa7
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh wow!!! That's stunning Brenden :) :) Thank you so much for doing that!! It really does make a massive difference when you can see it visually. Now I'm thinking of re-painting the walls..

Also thank you Nelson Interior for the advice!

Funny, I actually did buy a rug, pot and plant today as well but we decided they looked really good in the living area so have put them there. Another shopping day coming up!
  • Louisa7
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh, I was also lucky enough to be able to get a (free) black piano today so I think I will be putting that against the wall with the mirror next weekend.
  • PRO
    Cordony Group
    7 years ago

A rug underneath the dining table will help break the brown up by injecting personality and define different zones in a large room or open plan living space. They’re a simple way to create impact and refresh a space immediately.

40 Elgin Street Gordon · More Info

Laurel Street, Willoughby · More Info

White Street, Artarmon · More Info

Theres definitely space underneath the mirror for a bar which would look great!
    Abercrombie Street, Darlington · More Info

Hope we have inspired you!

• Kat
    7 years ago

Hi Louisa 7, I have picked up on your love of Moroccan. So firstly, remove the British street light. As a lover of colour I have attached some items I think would work well in your space, add a sitting area down near the windows as in one of these pics, add more of the same pendants which you already have at different levels, once again as per one of the pics, a beautiful colourful rug under the dining table, artwork and find an oversized Moroccan influenced mirror. Good luck

• Louise
    7 years ago

Hi Kat, wow! I don’t know how you picked up on that but I LOVE Moroccan decor. Thank you so much for your advice - I love the pendant lights so I will look into that and am also in the process of looking for a rug :)

• KK1000
    7 years ago
    These look good
  • Zoe Wilkinson
    7 years ago

Ensure you get the right size rug.. too small and the chairs will scratch the floor and feel unbalanced when someone is sitting on them.. Low pile, pattern doesn't show crumbs so much!

• Monika Kryger
    7 years ago

Don't paint the wall or window frames! I would get a nice large rug for under the dining, plus the canvases, then reassess. Looking forward to more photos!

• my_astrid
    7 years ago

A rug under the table will cause problems when moving the chairs. To be safe and no nuisance, it has to be a huge rug. (A large round(!) floor cover....?)

I like the street lamp. But I guess it is a STREET - lamp and makes the room rather sterile. It is kind of tallish in the corner and enhances to large distance to the ceiling. bring something else down from the ceiling. I guess you don't want a lamp because you have downlights. Do some search for some nice art, which does not move (shadows) in the light. Or use a beige old fashioned chandelier.

Go bit by bit. And think about the carpet before you get it. Work on flow and lightness, delight, round parts, oval to balance the room.

If I painted something, I would paint the stark white frames a little softer/toned. The white is a hard contrast. So is the black. (And I would probably paint a half wall white.)

And the black ornament (light?) that comes down from the ceiling must come further down, should be larger.

And then I would play with the room for dinner situations..... you can bring all the colour in you like. I wonder what the room looks like during the day.

Try taking the (beautiful) mirror out and hang a canvas.

The plant on the table looks forlorn. The Arabic lamp in the left corner looks lonely too. this would be a nice corner for a piece of furniture.

An extra chair finds room in spots like this often. Do you have enough space when serving food? (Can you get light switches in a colour like the walls?)

I would probably take 2 chairs out unless they are constantly needed and take the placemats off. Put a larger item.... maybe a plate of fruit in the middle.

The repetition of chairs and placemats enhances the very formal atmosphere. I have just seen a cream coloured chandelier. Glass is too stark and black not suited to brighten the situation up.

I love the room for its sheer size and uncluttered atmosphere!

• evanandleanne
    7 years ago

I'm thinking - the 3 walls being the same colour is too ummm bland. Repaint either the wall at the end or the wall on the right to make it a feature wall. That would break it up very nicely. Dont ask me what colour tho as I am colour blind. Along with some of the other suggestions (perhaps a rug to match the odd coloured wall?), that should make it more interesting.

• mike chen
    7 years ago
    I think larger cluster of pendant lights that hang lower to the dining table would make the space more intimate and warm. I also agree with others Comments about adding a rug under dining table. also it looks like there's plenty of space around the room which I think it would be a great opportunity to get a larger dining table.
  • mike chen
    7 years ago
    a nice buffet under the mirror would look nice.
  • bellacatandme
    7 years ago

I can hear the echo from here!

You really need to soften it up with a massive rug, and a couch and some cushions and an exotic plant maybe. I find guests tend to move around during a dinner and a couch invites that, especially now you have a piano in there. Do you play? What a great experience dining at your place will be if you do, if not you might discover there's talent among your guests.

A much bigger table and a buffet of some sort would cosy the room, something different, not necessarily a modern piece. The light fitting is great but way too high I think, add a couple more, larger ones, the smaller one will look fine in the mix (lower). Add some interesting mirrors, I love a mirror or 3.

Don't just decorate around the edges either play with the space you have enough of it. How lucky you are to have such a great room to play with.

7 years ago
    Hi Louisa7, great advice from the Houzzers. Personally I find the brown walls kind of cold looking and would definitely move your street light outside. It really belongs on a garden path or leading up to entrance of the house. It would be a lovely feature in the garden if you find the right position.
    The piano should look amazing and yes, go big with your rug, light etc as advised by the others.
  • Crissy
    7 years ago
    i would add a bright color in the room, such as a red rug perhaps.
  • PRO
    Glenda Wing Interior Decorating
    6 years ago

I suggest a large round rug with rich orange and teal colours.

• Fiona Anastasia Whitefoot
    6 years ago
    I would consider a rug, a low buffet/console table and a really good rug under those table and chairs! Maybe some art on one of the walls or a large mirror to create a focal point! I wouldn't mind also having pendant lighting of some sort!
  • PRO