Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyz8bpnw

Suggustions for reddish leafed banana hardy in Seattle area?

garyz8bpnw
7 years ago

The green Basjoo hardy banana does well here in 8b zone. Grows like crazy too! This photo was taken in early October. The 4'+ plant was in a 4" pot earlier that spring.! It has now multiple shoots with the smallest being the size of the original purchased. I cut the leaves, mulched the base and tarped the stem for winter. A friend in Woodinville 7b zone wraps his in burlap and plastic for the winter and his are 12' tall now.

Anyone growing in this area (with our cool wet winters) doing well with a more colorful variety such as Abyssinian Banana (Ensete maurelii)?

Our tub potted one grew like crazy, but didn't survive winter. We could try planting one in ground and winter mulch it.

Can you let me know your successes?

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Any red leaved forms are NOT gonna be winter hardy in the Puget Sound area. Will need to be grown in a container and moved indoors in winter. Even in the few z9 locations in this area, this plant will not survive long term. OTOH, the hardy basjoos here on Bainbridge Island generally require no winter protection and can get quite large.

garyz8bpnw thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • garyz8bpnw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Any experience with Chinese Golden Lotus Banana (Musella lasiocarpa) growing here? Beautiful flower on bizarrely interesting plant of botanical not fruit intetest. Literature says hardy to z7.

My concern is blooming in our cool summers and potentially rotting in our cool wet sessons.

• Embothrium
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Even in the few z9 locations in this area, this plant will not survive long term

Full blown USDA 9 being present here debatable, hence such failures. Last time I looked record lows north of Coos Bay were all below 10 degrees F, with long term weather records expected to be the basis for Sunset mapping everything north of Gold Beach Sunset 5 or lower.

Garden centers here sell the Musa lasiocarpa, I bought one on clearance in a 4 inch pot and planted it here last year. It grew significantly larger during the summer, I didn't think to protect it when the cold came and don't actually know what it looks like now.

The 2014 edition of The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs (Hillier Nurseries and The Royal Horticultural Society) says about this one

Will survive outdoors, ideally with protection, in the mildest parts of the British Isles but in most places best overwintered in frost-free conditions

so it wouldn't surprise me if mine is now a dead heap. Due to warming ocean currents the "mildest parts of the British Isles" actually go up as high as USDA 11 in the most southwestern islands (with - unlike here - Santa Barbara, CA style plantings long being present there, serving as proof).

Claims of USDA 7 originating back East may be based on better results in hot summer climates. And probably also the prevailing misinterpretation of USDA Hardiness Zones, with it likely having been observed that the plant fails at 10 degrees F, is therefore "Hardy to USDA 7 (average annual minimum temperature 0 to 10 degrees F)".

• User
    7 years ago

No red banana is hardy in or around Seattle.. They do not produce pups so once the main plant dies from the cold, that's it.

garyz8bpnw thanked User
Sponsored