Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmh46del

long narrow living room ends at small island in kitchen

moving in to a smaller house with long living room - 8 x 35. but need about 12 - 18 inches of space on right side of room for walkway in from door. realtor suggested small sitting area by front window and main living room with couch in middle of room. having dining area to right of kitchen so will put table there. any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (15)

• smenning08
    7 years ago
    Here is a idea I hope I got the layout right
    Christina Hessler thanked smenning08
  • Christina Hessler
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! that is great! almost like the realtor said. Might move the seating around the other way, but not sure. one door is to a bathroom. Thanks for the great idea though!!!

• Christina Hessler
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! I like this idea as well. I was not going to buy a sectional and thought about placing it the way you have it. Mounting the TV will give more space as well. Thanks again for the great response!

• Bette P
    7 years ago

I would look for a sofa with no skirting and low slim-ish arms. Watch the side depth from front to back, you want comfy but not overly deep. Before you buy, put painters tape on the floor to show how much room is needed. Any chairs you might add should be comfy with arms but preferably a leggy/open bottom & open armed if possible. C tables are great space savers and come at all price levels. Small space = smaller TV at eye level when seated. I would try for an interesting shallow TV cabinet/console/sideboard with closed storage for components, vintage or new to fill the space between the windows. If you will have a lot of wires, have a closed bottom for a clean look. Consider a floor lamp or two so you are not relying on overhead light only.

A bench could be placed across the room as a division between the and LR.

By the door centred on the window, maybe a chest/dresser with drawers for storage with a table lamp or a floor lamp and two chairs facing the window or one chair facing the window the other backing towards the corner. Not a fan of loveseats. Will this be used as your main entry?

Transitional Project 1 · More Info

Transitional Living Room · More Info

Modern C Shape Side Table · More Info

Rockwell Mid Century Modern Accent Chair · More Info

GDF Studio Kama Accent Armchair · More Info

Mid Century Flat Remodel · More Info

LeisureMod Mid-century Modern Inwood Slat Platform Wooden Bench, Natural, 4' · More Info

Transitional Cottage · More Info

Christina Hessler thanked Bette P
  • everdebz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

With its own trays and expensive -

Modern Solid Wood & Leather Backless Sofa · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Back to say these pillows removed, make it backless daybed. Large? if not buy 2 for versatile arranging? just idea..but wouldn't pillows drop off the back if not against a wall... Roberts sofa neutral:

Living Room · More Info
    Roberts Sofa · More Info

Christina Hessler thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Good plans with 2 areas.... at front window do you need a round table and a few chairs? for whatever works there.... doesn't have to be 'large scale' look. Maybe some of kitchen's driftwood-look chairs or table?

Informal -- 1 or more colors of identical chairs?

Fabric Upholstered Accent Arm Chair, Eiffel Steel Legs, Denim Blue · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Just say you use 2 couches - identical isn't so bad if you buy 2 blending rugs. The couches would tie it together... then accent chair.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

As to the professional's plan above -- what is measurement between the 2 windows? Can you see your tv on that wall? I lived in a townhouse and we had to have tv on wall where people walked through - you just live with it...

Question is how big is your tv? You can sit farther away if it's huge, yes.... her drawing seems bit close to the tv....

• Christina Hessler
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm also possibly thinking of using Lydia's second drawing with a twist, Possibly put the tv on a stand in the middle of the room and a couch or loveseat facing it to give it a bit more distance. Another idea might be to angle the furniture in a broad V shape so to not be too close to the tv. Not an artist, so can't draw it out, but still thinking of possibilities. Thanks for all the great ideas!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

How would you run the cords?

• Christina Hessler
    Original Author
    7 years ago

you can buy cord overs that match your wood floor. These work for low traffic areas. I have one now between my breakfast bar and couch in my current condo to make a lamp work on a lamp table beside the couch.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

How's it going?

• Christina Hessler
    Original Author
    7 years ago

going good. move in next week so will post pictures when I get everything fit in the room. excited to see how it turns out. I will keep you posted!