Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annamt12

Design confusion for glass, frameless shower. Please advise!

Anna Bussone
7 years ago

We are in the middle of a house renovation and are running into design dilemmas in the master bath. We are installing a glass shower; however, one of the counter tops runs straight up into the shower (see pic below). We decided to add a pony wall (going half way up the shower) on the side that shares a wall with the counter top... but now we are second guessing ourselves. Will the neo angle shower look asymmetrical if there is only one half wall? My husband says we should add a half wall on the other straight edge side of the shower as well. My concern is this is adding more cost (e.g., more tile and the glass installer will need to make more cuts to the glass). We could also do full glass all the way around, but I'm worried that the counter top by the glass shower wall would be a bad idea.

Our options are 1) full glass on the left and angled shower walls and half glass/half wall on the right that the counter tops run into, 2) half glass/half wall on the left and right sides and full glass shower door at the angle (more expensive and doesn't show off the carrara tile of the shower as much), and 3) full glass all the way around.

What would you do?

Comments (19)

• Anna Bussone
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Sophie,

We are too far in for redesigning the bathroom. Plumbing has already come in and done their job, so we can't change the placement of anything right now. But from walking through the bathroom, it definitely does not appear too cramped at all. Additionally the bathroom is bigger than the scale I shared because we were able to extend the left wall out by moving the stairs. We definitely want to do a frameless shower if we can. Is there a safety reason as to why frameless is a bad idea with neo-angle showers?

• typeandrun
    7 years ago

why not full walls all around and a frameless door only? More privacy for the person showering

Anna Bussone thanked typeandrun
  • Anna Bussone
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Typeandrun,

Interestingly enough, that is currently how the shower is framed actually! We are having the contractor change it because we wanted more glass to show off the pretty carrara marble tile in the shower.

• typeandrun
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

typeandrun's ideas · More Info

If you put recessed lighting IN the shower, with the lights on, you will see your shower tile. Also, this is your master bath correct? How likely will you be "showing off" the tile to anyone other than yourselves?

• Anna Bussone
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Typeandrun- this is true. The photo you shared is beautiful. We would add a lot more cost in buying and installing the marble tile, but it might balance out because all we would need is one glass door. I also like that It would add more wall space for towel racks, etc.

• PRO
    KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
    7 years ago

You need the pony wall on the vanity side only - it will have to have a return to the shower door but that will also give you an opportunity to install a niche and floating corner bench. Have you see the Schluter waterproofing system? Are you trying to do this on your own or with a professional?

• User
    7 years ago

Having a door hinged on an angle isn't stable. Having a tiny little side panel to hinge the door into isn't stable. Glass is HEAVY. It is always best to have the hinges into a reinforced stud wall. Failing that, they should be in a straight thick glass wall. Never an angle. Not unless you sign a waiver that it may twist out of square and break down the road.

• typeandrun
    7 years ago

Anna Bussone as an FYI the wall tile is NOT carrerra marble, it is carrerra marble look but ceramic. More cost effective and far less maintenance or worry re staining

• Anna Bussone
    Original Author
    7 years ago

KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC-

No way! Haha we have a trusted contractor and subcontractors who are doing all the remodeling work for us. So you would recommend a pony wall on vanity side only and full glass on the other two sides?

• User
    7 years ago

I would never do a 24" door to a toilet closet. Its just too small if someone is sick and needs a helping hand. The whole point of double vanities is so two people can use the sinks at the same time. But two people trying to use those sinks would be standing in the exact same spot. The clearances clash. Etc. There are just too many issues here. The typical 35-65K master bath should at least be structurally sound and usable by two people at once. Much less them actually informing you how marble behaves in real life. And discussing the additional steps of properly waterproofing wet areas.

marble patina · More Info

marble patina · More Info

• Anna Bussone
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Sofie,

Totally understand. That would be cramped and not ideal! The architectural drawings were more for a visual for the shower -- they are not updated drawings and are not currently to scale of our bathroom. Like I already mentioned, the bathroom is larger because we were able to move the stairs next to it, thus extending the wall out another few feet. When you are in the physical bathroom, two people are not standing on each other when using the vanities. Not even close. The bathroom door is actually going to be a sliding door also.

I'm not sure why you included the marble patina photos? We are fully aware of the maintenance involved with marble. I grew up in all marble bathrooms and personally love the look-- even with patina. I like the classic, lived in look that is seen all throughout Europe. And it is not noticeable unless light hits it in a particular way. Plus we do not have kids and this bathroom will be used only by two adults who can easily clean up after themselves and put in the maintenance work required to keep the bathrooms up to date.

• User
    7 years ago

If the architectural dimensions are mot accurate, the you should post updated ones. Perhaps that would allow you to do a nice rectangular shower, eliminating the troublesome angle. A straight across pony wall from the vanity intersecting the other wall at 90° would solve the structural issue.

Anna Bussone thanked User
  • Anna Bussone
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We do not have updated drawings as we made the changes after the construction started! But great idea, I did not think about that. I will talk to our contractor about putting in a rectangular shower instead of the neo angle and see what he thinks.

• 50s_ranch Andres
    7 years ago

In my new bath, the pony wall is next to the sink counter. It is covered with the same quartz as the countertop and waterfalls down into the shower. The pony wall contains the plumbing for the temperature regulating valve and on/off/flow valve. It seems to be working out just fine.

Anna Bussone thanked 50s_ranch Andres
  • User
    7 years ago

You have at least two hinges attached to the pony wall framing. That is a much different scenario that the OP's diagram is suggesting. Even with that, best practice would be a support bar to stabilize the twisting forces acting on the glass on glass hinge. Also, your water location is opposite that planned by the OP. That will have implications as to the door seal and leaking. The OP would have the best results emulating your setup and moving the water and door hinge side to the pony wall side of the shower.

• acm
    7 years ago

Stick with glass, not more walls -- you get to see the tile when you're outside the shower, not just in it, and the whole bathroom feels larger when there aren't barriers at eye level, whichever side of the glass you're on. Would never consider walls if I didn't have to!

• PRO
    KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
    7 years ago

Anna, It's amazing what the new high definition porcelain tiles look like - so real but NOT! I've done half a dozen baths this past year using them. Andres brought up a good point - I typically use the same material that I'm using on the counter tops to cap the pony wall as well as the vertical piece, threshold and bench top. If you think that would be too much you could probably get remnant white quartz pieces to cover those areas. I work with a large stone fabricator who always has material I can work with. The tile you're working with has the necessary bullnose pieces but I love the cleaner look of the slabs.

I'd also recommend your contractor use the new epoxy grouts available - they're a pain to work with but when then are dry NOTHING changes the color! Clean up is a breeze because nothing can penetrate.

• Anna Bussone
    Original Author
    7 years ago

KR,

We looked at the porcelain marble tiles! They are stunning! And you bring up an excellent point-- I need to ask my contractor if he was planning on extending our counter tops to the pony wall. I definitely like this and adds a couple inches to the counter. I actually don't think the tile has bull nose pieces!! When we went to pick out the tile, the person helping us told us that marble does not come with bull nose pieces and the installer would have to bevel the edges himself!

I actually think our contractor mentioned epoxy grout! I'll make sure to tell him that is what we want. Thank you!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH