Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxan1

Narrow base cabinets for peninsula

roxan
7 years ago

In my "new" kitchen, I plan on having seating at a counter height peninsula, approx 6' long. I want the width of the peninsula to be no more than 30". This will allow for 15" of knee space if I use a 12" or 15" base cabinets. Has anyone done this with their peninsula or have they eliminated base cabinets altogether (or at least in the middle) so the cook can sit on one side and guests on the outside? My current kitchen has a table height peninsula with no cabinets underneath. DH & I have dinner there 95% of the time, but it won't be a good look once kitchen is updated. It is only DH and myself with an occasional friend or 2 when entertaining (no kids and no big parties)

Comments (5)

• sherri1058
    7 years ago

The bigger question in my mind, is whether you plan on eating at the new peninsula and if so, do you like eating at counter height rather than table height. Reason I'm saying this is we thought we would like the higher seating and ended up not liking it (and not using it) at all.

roxan thanked sherri1058
  • Lisa
    7 years ago

I think one thing you need to consider with narrower cabinets is how would the countertop be supported. Well, it depends on the material you are using.

If you are using a heavy material like granite, I believe you are only supposed to have an overhang that is 1/3 of the total countertop depth. If you are doing a 30" peninsula and are only using 15" cabinets, then the overhang will be 1/3 of the total width. Even if it was only 1/3 of the total depth, 15" would still need to be supported.

You should be able to do it, but you should plan on figuring out how to the support the countertop in your plans/design.

If you are using something lighter than the rules are probably different.

We eat at our countertop peninsula quite a bit, even though we have an eating area with a table and comfortable chairs right next to it. We have 15" overhang and it is comfortable for us. We have regular sized base cabinets underneath and I love my peninsula. Especially when others are over and I am working in the kitchen.

roxan thanked Lisa
  • roxan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sherri1058, that was the same thing I was thinking. We bought this house 3yrs ago and the table height peninsula was already there. We do eat our meals there quite often. DH & I are both vertically challenged so this has been most comfortable seating. Still in the very early planning stages and I want to get at least 95% of what I want in my head before I even contact a GC. Tough going, I keep changing my mind :)

• Buehl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What you will actually have:

15"D Base Cabinets:

30" - 1.5" counter overhang in front - 15"D cabinets - 1" decorative door/end panel = 12.5" seating overhang

12"D Base Cabinets:

30" - 1.5" counter overhang in front - 12"D cabinets - 1" decorative door/end panel = 15.5" seating overhang

NOTE: The minimum recommended seating overhangs and linear spacings for short to average people are:

Table-height (30" off the finished floor):

• Overhang...18"
    • Linear space...24" to 30" per seat

Counter-height (36" off the finished floor):

• Overhang...15"
    • Linear space...24" per seat

Bar-height (42" off the finished floor):

• Overhang...12" (but not deep enough for eating meals if it's raised above the counter behind it)
    • Linear space...24" per seat

If you go with table-height seating, then you need to add another 3" for the overhang and 3 to 6 inches for the linear space for each seat. If you're both thin, then 24" would probably be sufficient.

I suggest you stick with 12" deep base cabinets and install legs and other support. However, if you do have legs, then you no longer have room for 3 people with a 6' wide island. You need room for the legs plus extra room for people to maneuver around the legs. Figure 3" for the legs and another 3" for extra maneuver room. So, you need

• Leg - 3"
    • Counter overhang over leg -- 1.5" (if the leg is not flush with the counter edge - most I see are not, they're handled like the front of the cabinets.
    • Maneuver room -- 3"
    • Seat 1 -- 24"
    • Seat 2 -- 24"
    • Seat 3 -- 24"
    • Maneuver room on the wall end -- 6"
    • Leg -- 3" (you could probably put this leg against the wall or find another way to support the counter against the wall)
    • 3" + 1.5" + 3" + 24" + 24" + 24" + 6" + 3" = 88.5" (7'4.5")

This is just a quick response. What I suggest is that you talk with some professionals about your options. There may very well be other ways to do it that will allow you to keep all 72" clear for three seats.

You might try a "call out" to Joseph Corlett, LLC. He's pretty creative! To "call out" to him, start a new thread with his name and a very brief statement of what you need in the Subject. E.g., Joseph C - need help with unusual island config!

(If you can fit his full name in the subject, do so. You are limited in your Subject length though.)

roxan thanked Buehl
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

I could probably be done with properly anchored 12" base cabinets with a 3/4" thick plywood back attached and 1" square tube steel or aluminum as support for the cantilever.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!