Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elebea

I've learned a lesson from my console table

elebea
7 years ago

Ultimately this table was not a good deal. I was influenced by the mark down price but I have never liked it. I have thought of painting it or changing the hardware but would like to hear from all you Houzz members. I've gotten great advice in the past.

I feel there is too much wood and a little paint would help.

This is the table:

This is the placement in the room with reference to the living room:

And this is the placement with reference to the dining room:

Comments (48)

• apaquin25
    7 years ago

I feel like this table isn't serving a purpose. It's really deep, so it doesn't really work well behind the couch. I would try to find a different home for this table before you go painting it.

• pjm7427
    7 years ago
    It appears to be serving the purpose of holding up 2 of the 3 lamps in the living room.
  • Em Bee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think it needs colour: perhaps a round vase with faux flowering branches with yellow blossoms...forsythia branches...remove one lamp, add a larger framed picture or several smaller ones on the table... this sort of idea in the image but smaller, of course. Room is beautiful...just needs some softening from Mother Nature. :)

• acm
    7 years ago

I'm not sure I'd paint it, because that might make the view from the dining room choppier, while right now the table improves the back of the couch while sort of blending in.

But I would totally get new pulls -- that could take the piece from the 70s into the modern day!

• Em Bee
    7 years ago

P.S. LOVE THE TABLE!....and the extra seating is handy!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I can’t see how the lamps even work unless ther are plugs hidden somewhere I can’t see I think the console really infringes on the walkway behind the dining chair at the end I would remove it from this space

• leelee
    7 years ago

Your home is very well done. No real problem with the table. If you want to change something think about re-covering the seat cushions on the stools. Possibly a teal color.

The purpose of the table is to provide light by holding the two lamps.

Love Em Bee's idea for a vase of wildly arranged asymmetrical stems or flowers. Nothing "fixed" looking.

The hardware works with the style of the table. Plus when you remove the handles you might find that the wood is a slightly darker where the pulls are.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I would leave the table alone. But i would get a new lower lamp with a black shade that has a gold foil lining. Then i would recover seats with something unexpected like an animal print. Small print in black and gold. I would lock for large art for over fireplace and new rugs with more color.
  • User
    7 years ago

IF you have never liked it, why bother? It is a table. I would find something at a consignment store or Craigslist. Find one with some character and most of all that you like:)

• ellimacgardens
    7 years ago
    You have a very nice, versatile, multi functional table! I agree with swapping out hardware, maybe nickel tones. Also two lamps on the small table seem to overwhelm it and make it feel overly formal, pare down to one. You could move both lamps to the larger buffet on the other side of the dining table and move its lamp to the smaller one. If you really don't need the lighting, completely take lamps out and create a vignette with other things. Add the color like EmBee mentions and I think she selected forsythia in a bowl since it has the yellow color you carry in both areas of the large room. If you have a different place you could store the bench seats until you need them, consider that since they are adding to the heavier wood look, and a new covering for them, just a bit brighter maybe, could work. The table is great and can be used for snacks, deserts or to put presents on when you have a large get together. This size table can be used in to many rooms for different purposes. I am always a fan of pieces like that! Play around with it all, move stuff around till it feels right.
  • pennycollins
    7 years ago
    if you have never liked it, it might not ever work for you. I like it, maybe new hardware. I'm not crazy about the seats underneath, maybe some large baskets, 2 or 3 with an interesting organic piece on the table, antlers, driftwood huge shell? Something you love. The seats could be put in a bedroom at the end of a bed, you would still have when needed.
  • elebea2
    7 years ago

Can anyone explain how I can reply to individual comments posted here? Would like to address several points but not in a general comment.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

New hardware is an easy fix. Earlier I took the pulls off and there is no discoloration. I do like the idea of some color on the table. I'm not a fan of silk flowers but do love the color in the yellow forsythia. My accent colors are green, gold and navy. We are considering reupholstering the dining room chairs in a more colorful pattern -- stripes maybe. A color out of the vineyard painting (see below; not at home so had to take it from my iPad).

Not sure that I want my stools to be a focal point. I've always liked that they blend in.

As to putting artwork above the fireplace, not possible -- they are doors that open to reveal a television.

The lamps too have to stay; they are the only source of light other than the pole lamp behind one of the leather chairs and we use them often.

I appreciate the comments. I've used this site before -- always lots of great ideas.

• acm
    7 years ago

@elebea2 You have to engage discussions here -- that's what this is, a general discussion forum. No real way to, say, "take it to email"...

• elebea2
    7 years ago

Thanks, that helps. Have to be 'on it' so to speak if I want my response under the particular comment. While you're here, I will say that your reference to the 70's was spot on. :)

• pjm7427
    7 years ago
    By the way, your room is beautiful. The millworker on the fireplace, fantastic windows and view. Who even sees the table with all the lovely features.
  • User
    7 years ago

Have you tried switching your sideboard with the console?

Just a thought.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

pjm; on behalf of our builder, thank you. I'll pass on your remarks to him. He is meticulous.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

pennydesign, the sideboard is much wider than the console table and if we shift the table to accommodate that, then the light over the table needs to be rewired.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

I really like your house. Gorgeous room. The table looks great there to my eyes. Also, your bookshelf is an argument in favour of colour coding books! :)

• elebea2
    7 years ago

Thank you, Lindsey. The placement of the table works, but there's just something about it that I don't like. Thought it might be because there was too much brown in that portion of the room. I like Em Be's suggestion of more colour (hello Canada) but how to attain that without fake flowers -- a long bowl, maybe in a shade from the painting of Sonoma vineyards? As to the colour coding of the books, that idea came straight from Houzz -- as do many great ideas. Friends commented that I would never be able to find a specific book but that is not the case. I know my books intimately.

• User
    7 years ago

elebea2- regarding your comment about contacting an individual. You can click on their name and go to their home page. If there is a *message* bar showing, you can click it and it will send a message to that person.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

Thanks Margo. I was wanting to make my comment public and reply just underneath the comment rather than reference back. Make it specific to the comment instead of lumping my replies together but I guess that can't be done. This is a wonderful service and I appreciate all the help I have received.

• sunnydrew
    7 years ago
    You can just mention the person's name first when commenting to someone in particular like this...
    @sunnydrew....
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Oh yeah, I meant to mention the vineyard painting. It is fantastic. Who is the artist, I would love to look at more of their work.

A bowl of succulents might work to add some colour. Some even flower yellow!

• justbeckyg
    7 years ago
    I'm fine with the sofa table but the two lamps are just too much. They block the view to the room and really stand out much more than the table. Try moving one of the lamps to a small table next to one of the chairs and place the floor lamp to the outside wall side of the sofa. Put a long, low bowl on the sofa table, filled or not depending on the bowl, and your eye will go right past the table into the family room. It's a very pretty room.
  • leelee
    7 years ago

If you want to give your room a little boost the consider adding floating frames to your paintings.

They're very subtle but give a finished look to a stretched canvas or print. Floater frames really add to a canvas.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

I can see your point but I like the way in which the colour wraps around the side of the stretched frame.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

justbeckyg, I think you're right. Others suggested moving at least one of the lamps but I didn't see it. Looking again at the photo, I get it -- they DO block the living room and what's more, I think they bring more attention to the table in that your eye is drawn to that specific area (thx. too, divinemrsm). Maybe that's what it is. In a former home, the table was in the foyer and it really never bothered me. I think I have it now -- more up-to-date hardware (but subtle), move at least one of the lamps, or exchange both with the pole lamp and add a low, colourful, offbeat bowl.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

lindsey, the artist is Susan Hoehn. She paints, for the large part, in the Sonoma/Napa/Calistoga area of California. My painting is called 'Afternoon Sun' and measures 40x40. I bought it in Sonoma and had it shipped home.

http://susanhoehn.fineartstudioonline.com/dataviewer.asp?keyvalue=31431&subkeyvalue=912241&page=WorksZoom

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Thank you so much!

• leelee
    7 years ago

With a floating frame you can still see how painted canvas wraps around because there's a gap between the frame and canvas. Your call.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

leelee, hence the word, 'floating'. I missed that. Thanks

• arkvillager
    7 years ago

The room is really too static with little color. I would recover the stools with a print that picks up some of the other colors in the room or artwork. Your eye will be drawn to the color and the movement that it provides.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

Like the idea of more colour. Will recover the dining room chairs and see if that works. Any suggestions? Pattern? Stripe? Plain? Something with some staying power.

Bought this rug 2 years ago from Dash & Albert. Probably won't stay too long, but I like some of the colours.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

My suggestion would be solid navy for the side chairs, and stripe of navy, gold, and green for the end chairs. Or vice versa!

• threers
    7 years ago

How about a slab of marble or granite on top of the table in question...then you could use it as a buffer/bar for drinks and snacks at parties?

• elebea2
    7 years ago

I like that idea, Lindsey. It's these colours that I'm after. Should be able to find a stripe with similar shades. Like the navy on the chairs too (from www.muskokaliving.ca)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

^cool idea

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Shoot, "cool idea" was for threers!

elebea2 nice inspiration. Stripes are a classic, as is navy.

• pennycollins
    7 years ago

I love stripes and mixing stripes and pattern, however some people just can't stand the visual. Also just as a visual, of no use is a lumbar pillow on dining room chairs in coordinating fabric. I don't think it would be your thing but also love sheepskin thrown over chairs. Very comfy. One of these, not all 3.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

I am short waisted so always sit on a pillow at our table (and at some friends too). Maybe lumbar pillows on the end chairs.

• Em Bee
    7 years ago

I think the drawer pulls on the console table might look good in matte black. That colour would echo the black on the fireplace and the lamp bases. Here is a sample of one in a Craftsman style.

• Em Bee
    7 years ago

Also...could you try to place the lovely area rug the other way...so the other Club chair is more on top of it?? You have quite a bit under the sofa...just a thought, lol.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

I have the knob version of that pull on my island cupboards. Good quality, great price!

• elebea2
    7 years ago

Thanks Em Bee & Lindsey, the knobs on the kitchen cupboards and on the bookcase cabinets are bronze (as are the bases of the lamps) but, as they say, every room needs a little black.

• elebea2
    7 years ago

Em Bee, I hadn't thought of switching the direction of the rug. It's a 9x12. Isn't it interesting what others see -- and looking at a photo of my room really helps to give a new perspective. I will try it. Thank you for sticking with me. :)