Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hope_horwitz

Vinyl Plank vs Tile Plank vs Vinyl Tile Plank vs Laminate

Hope Horwitz
7 years ago

Hi! We're redoing the floors in our entire living space.... kitchen, dining room, living room.... by the front door and the back door. We are remodeling and so this area will become one big great room. The contractor was "pushing" tile plank b/c it is indestructible and it can look like wood but I'm not sold on it. He isn't in love with laminate b/c if you need to repair it, it can be costly as you have to take up so many pieces. He just called and suggested 2 more.... a vinyl tile or a vinyl plank. Can anyone offer any thoughts on which could be best or what experiences you've had with these choices? (We have 2 young children and will be getting a dog in the next year or two.) THANK YOU!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

Your location could tip the scales. Cold areas (northern USA and anywhere in Canada) do not, normally, work with porcelain/ceramic tile throughout the home because of how cold it is. If you are in a northern climate and the wood-look tile is on your list then so too should be in-floor radiant heat (an expensive upgrade). Vinyl is a more appropriate floor in a cold climate because it is warmer underfoot.

If you are in a southern climate (hot, hot, hot) then the tile is the way to go. Vinyl, in intense direct sunlight can have issues (curling, peeling, cupping, warping, discolouration, etc) which makes it difficult to use in hot climates or in homes with plenty of south facing windows (vinyl doesn't like to get too hot).

Are you in a hot climate, a cold climate or even a temperate climate? The answer will help you look at the appropriate flooring.

• Hope Horwitz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! I'm in the Northeast - Jersey! So cold.... snow this week actually. LOL

• hasmoody13
    7 years ago

My husband works for a flooring distributor and we put lvt thruout the house. Best decision ever. We put it over some old ceramic and the area was instantly warmer. We are in Cleveland so it's cold! We have two dogs and a baby and it holds up great

• Hope Horwitz
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    chelseahasrouni, what's lvt??? lol!
  • Hope Horwitz
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    we saw vinyl tile tonight and now I'm majorly leaning towards that .... of course I'm easily swayed but it feels like a real happy medium .... very hard to damage and easy to replace but not as cold as tile.
  • backyardfeast
    7 years ago

We did our whole basement a few months back in luxury vinyl tile (that's the lvt above :) ) and just love it. I think it's a no-brainer if you have dogs that will scratch up hardwood or need waterproofing (we put it through our laundry area and mudroom). On a main floor, I'd still do hardwood, because all of the other options feel fake underfoot (barefoot). But if that's not an option, the lvt is warm, soft, and has some awesome looks these days. I really think it's going to completely replace laminate pretty quickly.

• Hope Horwitz
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm so glad to hear this! We're in a ranch house so this area we're doing is pretty much ALL of our living space. looks like lvt it is!
  • lizziebethtx
    6 years ago

Sorry for being so uneducated about this, but is LVT the same thing as vinyl planks? thanks.

• PRO
    Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Luxury vinyl tile (LVT-- the vinyl planks you're talking about) was going to be my recommendation, as well. That said, I'm doing a lot of full house plank tile projects up here in Maine, so don't let the cold climate scare you.

• PRO
    Creative Ceramic & Marble/ Bill Vincent
    6 years ago

NOT to be confused with the vinyl "click" floors, like Pergo, also known as "engineered wood"

• PRO
    cmquade
    last year

what is the difference between lvp and lvt?