Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veglee

Garbage disposals with stainless steel grind chamber-important? x-post

leela4
7 years ago

X-Post to Kitchens

I need a new garbage disposal. Background: A new one was installed when we remodeled the kitchen in 2010. I didn't pay any attention to the specific disposal design or model then. It's a ISE Badger ½ HP which I now realize is a less than stellar choice. It is now leaking as the chamber has several cracks. The funny (not) thing is that we had the original disposal from when the house was built in 1980 (original owner here) and whatever that was it never leaked. Even with being uninstalled and reinstalled in 1995. So go figure.

Anyway, I have been researching this to death, have read lots of old threads on here, and realize the importance of stainless steel grind components, but no one really talks about the chamber itself. Seems to me since that is what failed here, that would a necessary component. I am leaning towards an ISE Evolution Excel . . . And we don't use it a lot as we compost and are vegetarians, for whatever that's worth, but I still would like to have one.

TIA

Comments (6)

• venmar
    7 years ago

ISE Evolution Excel is an excellent choice. Quieter than most others, and grinds finer as well-pretty much eliminating a chance of drain line problems. I just checked insinkerator.com site and yes a 40 oz. stainless steel grind chamber. My experience has been that top of the line ISE disposers are much longer lived and better performers than the bottom builder grade models. Also easy to replace with your existing ISE twist-lock mounting ring already in place.

leela4 thanked venmar
  • plllog
    7 years ago

I have a 6-7 year old Evolution. So far it's been great. I also save most "vegan" stuff for the compost bin, often save bones, and try to put the fats out with the trash, but there's still plenty of riffraff that goes down the sink. The disposer never balks, and the only issue I ever had was when someone put down some plastic film and a stick and it got pushed up into the airgap. It was an easy, if grotty, fix. :)

leela4 thanked plllog
  • nerdyshopper
    7 years ago

The top of the line ISE models are the best I have ever used. I had problems with lower level models, Mine is quit old and still working. All that I can remember is it uses a 3/4 H.P. motor.

leela4 thanked nerdyshopper
  • teachmkt1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

While not a CR fan for kitchen stuff I believe their disposal ratings: according to latest ratings from CR, leader is still the Waste king Legend 8000 with longest warranty, SS gears and a few hundred $$ less than ISE deluxe models like the evolution. Switched over to Waste King for both instahots and disposals years ago with no complaints. Both ISE products failed us surprisingly close to end of warranty on several occasions. Note that only this model disposal is the only top rated within the Waste King brand. The Waste king disposal is a beast; it will grind nearly anything we throw at it--it revs higher than my ISEs did (around 2400 rpm) and seems as quiet or better. My Waste King Instahot is in it's third year which is exactly when our ISEs tanks would start leaking so can't speak to its reliability yet.

After thought advice: If you're interested in WK Legend, check the space under the sink and the cabinet bottom. It's a tall unit and if you have a particularly deep sink it can be a tight fit.

leela4 thanked teachmkt1
  • oneandonlybobjones
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I recently replaced a garbage disposal that leaked. The water damaged the wood base under the disposal so I bought a flexible plastic tray to fit over the wood bottom of the cabinet. That way if I have another plumbing leak the flexible plastic tray will catch the water and protect the wood. If you don't already have this type of flexible tray protecting the wood bottom of your cabinet you might consider purchasing one. I bought mine on Amazon and it has worked great. The tray exactly fits the size of the wood base under the sink. The tray is flexible enough to temporarily fold so you can get it past the center support post for the cabinet and fit it flush under the sink and disposal. Here is a link if anyone wants to take a look at it. Plastic Tray