Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rukmanis

BedRoom: Area Rug on Carpeted Floor and Under the Bed

Chandra Arun
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi there, I am looking to put an area rug under my bed to add some color/pattern to the room. But i have a carpeted floor. Wondering if the rug would get crumpled into the carpet under the weight of the bed. Does rug-over-carpet felt pads help? if so are there any recommendations on which ones to use? Appreciate any pointers.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

It can be done but often not very satisfactorily.

Chandra Arun thanked Anglophilia
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

My daughter did it with a huge oriental and it looks fantastic, she never put a pad under it.

Chandra Arun thanked Yayagal
  • User
    7 years ago

I did it with a big new rug. Works fine.

Chandra Arun thanked User
  • 3katz4me
    7 years ago

I did that in my guest room - no problem at all. The carpet is pretty low pile and the rug is a fairly thick sculpted type oriental. I have no pad under the rug. I also have a very short, dense wool oriental rug on the carpet in my living room. That also works fine. I have all these rugs on carpet because I moved from a house with wood floors to one with more carpet. I hope to get rid of the carpet someday when I feel like moving everything again. So then I will need the rugs and in the meantime I can't stand the plain beige carpet.

In another room I have a thick wool runner that covers the width of carpet from the deck door to the wood floor in the dining area. It has no furniture on it that holds it in place so it ripples a bit. I need to find a way to keep it flat.

Chandra Arun thanked 3katz4me
  • Chandra Arun
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you - very helpful. My carpet is not low pile. Am looking at a rug that is .375 pile. And i plan to use felt pad as well as caster cups under the legs of the bed. Hope that works!

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

Why would you want to cover an area rug by putting it under a bed? What sizing bed ar you talking about and what size rug?

• Chandra Arun
    Original Author
    7 years ago

King bed. And 8x11 area rug. Rug will show 2 feet around the bed. The room is very dull with no color - brown wooden bed, ivory wall, beige carpeted floor. The rug will add some color/pattern to the bed room

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

FWIW, I'd start by bringing in color with curtains, bedding and art. Without those items, I don't think just adding color to the floor is going to make much of a difference.

Chandra Arun thanked k9arlene
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

I love the look of a layered rug surrounding the bed. Go for it.

Chandra Arun thanked Yayagal
  • Chandra Arun
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@IdaClaire - thank you, the picture was super helpful. That's exactly the look i was shooting for. Shades of brown on furniture/fabric/wall hanging and then a layered rug with little color around the bed. I will go for placing rug towards the foot of the bed, great idea

• Errant_gw
    7 years ago

I was wanting to do the same, and the colors in that rug are perfect. Do you know where to find it, Ida?