Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mar9en

Two Succulent IDs and how to make them happy

Mare TN z7a
7 years ago

What are these two succulents and do I have them in the best environment?

Both are in the very peat-y soils I bought them in, and I've been watering them sparingly. I feel like it might not be the best soil for these guys.

The dark one seems to have "roots" trying to grow from its tendrils -- what does it want to be growing on? It otherwise seems healthy. I've had it for about a month.

The light one's largest leaves started wilting within 24 hours of being brought home. Its soil was already saturated when I bought it. I thought maybe it had been overwatered, so I waited for it to dry out. All the biggest leaves still died (these photos are from last week), though the newer leaves seem OK. I bought it because I really liked the big pretty leaves, though. :(

What's the best way to make these guys happy and want to grow?

Comments (17)

• mesembs
    7 years ago

The small one is Kalanchoe luciae.

• elucas101
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The zig-zag one is a type of Epiphyllum - here's a web link with more info Epliphyllum Info - it says they like to get morning sun but shade from afternoon sun and don't like to dry out but at the same time don't like to be overwatered so you'll have to play with that in your climate to see what works for you. I don't grow these yet so I'm only relaying what I found in the article.

Also, the aerial roots on the Epliphyllum are normal becasue as you'll read, they climb on other things to hang on to as hosts.

The Kalanchoe definitely likes more sun, at least 6 hours a day and probably more. When your overnight temps reach a consistent 50f or higher at night put that one outside and slowly acclimate to full sun. Give it as much light as you can until then.

I would definitely repot them both into a well draining mix with potting soil and at least 60% perlite added in. Get as much of the old peaty soil off the roots as you can.

All plants need to be in a pot with a drainage hole so I would get the Kalanchoe out of the pail if it doesn't have one.

Hope this helps! I'm sure others will have more info for you as well, keep us posted of your progress!

Mare TN z7a thanked elucas101
  • Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Hi,

i have the same kalanchoe. It is in gritty mix and in a southern window with tons of intense sun. It has turned red since I got it.

i repotted it from a peat mix into pure grit with a sprinkling of perlite, barely any, and it took to it right away.

it doesn't seem to need much water at all. Actually, I forget to water it and it is just fine.

the bottom leaves do fall off, but that's okay.

Mare TN z7a thanked Lauren (Zone 9a)
  • Mare TN z7a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for all the great info!

Oooh, I love the deep red tips of the Kalanchoe luciae on google! It gets that way with more sunlight? I'm going to move it to a place with more sun and then move it outside as soon as it stays warm (we've been having the entire gamut of weather recently, from warm & sunny to thunderstorms & hail to temps in the 20s & possible snow all in the space of a week, so not sure how soon that'll be).

The Epiphyllum is probably in a good place right now, because it just gets some morning sun. Hopefully I can keep it alive, because I had no idea it could have flowers like that! The link mentioned exposing it to cool temps helps force blooms, I wonder if I should do that now if there's a string of cool days/nights? But maybe not if the temperature is fluctuating a lot?

I'll repot into something gritty when I get the chance as well, especially the Kalanchoe.

Does anyone which Epiphyllum that might be? I'm curious what kind of flower it will have. It seems like Epis can grow pretty big!

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Yes, the sun turns them red. Mine was the same color as yours at first!

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    7 years ago

I have the same epi. I don't know the specific name but it's one of the orchid cacti, like epi oxypetalum (another of my plants). Mine are ric rac and are planted in orchid bark and hanging under the filtered sunlight of tree branches. They love lots of moving air. They do not like regular potting soil (suffocates roots) or direct sunlight (blanches stems).

Maria Elena

Mare TN z7a thanked Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
  • Mare TN z7a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LatinLady, I googled ric rac orchid cactus and that looks exactly like what mine is! A.k.a. fishbone cactus a.k.a. Selenicereus anthonyanus (does that mean it's not an Epiphyllum?).

I've never worked with an orchid bark soil. How do you water something like that? So maybe something gritty would actually be too water retentive?

I don't know if I have a place outside that's unsunny enough... My balcony is south-facing with a tree next to it that's not at the right angle to shade. So I may not be able to provide good moving air.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    7 years ago

It IS an Epiphyllum. I believe the confusion may be in that many Epis are referred to as "RicRac," just as with "Queen of the Night."

https://thepalmroom.wordpress.com/plant-care-discussion-forum/epiphyllum-ric-rac-the-orchid-cactus/

Gritty mix is never water retentive because it's soil-less. It will be just fine if you add lots of organic material, like pine bark, fines, etc. You can get an orchid mix for $4 at most big box stores. It's mostly chunky perlite & barks. You water it like you water any pot ... the water just runs right through.

Any place outdoors that provides filtered sunlight is good. Morning sun is fine ... It's that scorching afternoon sun that's not good for them. A porch is fine but check often for pests, like mites.

Maria Elena

Mare TN z7a thanked Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
  • lmontestella
    7 years ago

Pardon me, but to be clear, the Epi is a tropical forest cactus (not an arid land succulent). It comes from higher humidity forests. It'd be happy in bark type orchid mix (as Maria Elena said), I don't think this is a good candidate for gritty mix ( which wouldn't retain any water, & likely you'd have to water it way too frequently).

Bark & some perlite would probably be good. It would also do better in a plastic pot rather than clay (the clay will absorb moisture away from the plant, which we don't want in this case).

I would not do anything like trying to force bloom w/ cold. I suggest it's best you read & learn Epi care first. Also I suspect your plant is both too small & too young for blooming.

Lena / Karen

Mare TN z7a thanked lmontestella
  • Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Karen is this the case for all tropical forest cacti?

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    7 years ago

Hi Lauren,

Sorry - is WHAT the case?

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

That they enjoy a more wet environment and all the other things you mentioned in the above post.

I was asking because I am have trouble with. Rhipsalis cactus, and I believe that one is also a tropical forest cactus. So I was thinking I could apply some of your advice to taking care of my plant.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

Yes Rhipsalis is a epiphytic cactus. I have trouble with these too. I always forget to water more then my arid cactus. I honestly have to keep them on my calendar or I will totally forget to water them;).

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

Kara, what's yours planted in? I just moved mine to a bark perlite mixture and it seems to like it. But I've not been watering it much for fear of root rot--I honestly just don't know how much water it wants or needs...

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago

30% pumice and 70% peatless C&S mix. I keep them in beautiful bright light no sun. They didn't like it when they were getting sun rays. Go figure;).All my succulents are outside btw. I water real good once a week. That seems to be doing the trick. Mine were on the brink of extinction, but they're turning around. Slowly but that's ok;). Tropical cactus and I are not the best of friends, but until recently I've been trying to at least become acquaintances with epiphytic cacti;).

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    7 years ago

I may, considering your example, add a dash soilless cactus mix to mine as well. I sense that this plant needs some kind of soil, even if it's just a tad.

Mine seems okay in the sun, but that may change when the real desert sun starts kicking back in....

seems yours appreciate the additional watering. I will try that! Thanks, Kara